Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

This seems like it is a downward move for Riley. Oklahoma is a traditional powerhouse program like USC, and is currently good. USC hasn’t been relevant in a while and is pretty unstable. I don’t know the details, but it seems kind of like Kirby Smart leaving Georgia to coach at Nebraska. IDK, just my two penny loafers…

Are you REALLY so behind on news that you are unaware of the RASH of smash and Grab burglaries wrecking ALL of California lately ? I just picked the first article. So here you go. Does BEVERLY HILLS count as Southern California? I can continue searching for you if you don’t want to do it yourself
Beverly Hills: Recent smash-and-grab robberies prompt ramped up police patrols along Rodeo Drive - California News Times
I actually lived there. Yes they broke into Beverly Hills on Rodeo Dr. and they took nothing as they failed to get in because of the bullet proof glass. You said they took a million dollars of handbags in 60 secs. That didnt happen. But change the story anyway you like if you think it makes your post correct. All I said was maybe Riley and his young family possibly preferred the beaches of S Cal and you went off to San Fran.

Heupel took a depleted team and turned it into a competitive team overnight. The Apathy that had infiltrated the fanbase was abated and excitement was starting to reemerge. Heupel brought a new energy and style to a football program starving for success. Fans were starting to buy-in once again. If Heupel leaves, all that will be gone and the shadow of apathy will be back worse than before, the Vol fanbase has had enough of this nonsense since 2008. It would lead to another embarrassing coaching search with recruits leaving and current players leaving. Enough is enough, but I fear it is a real possibility he will go back to his Alma Mater.

I hope Heupel stays, he won the team over and then the fanbase, he made smart coaching hires and overachieved his first season at UT. I for one was looking forward to his 2nd season and I think many of you were as well. If he leaves, it will damage UT football very deeply....

Last edited:
Best case CJH says kick rocks and hooker and Tillman return to have a 10 win season next year.
Worst case he goes home to Norman and hooker and Tillman run to the nfl and we are left with Milton or a true freshman that whoever we hire can find after this all happens right at early signing time.
This could be anything from riding high into bowl season to a bigger dumpster fire than when kiffen left. I hope for option one for sure. 🤞🏻

This seems like it is a downward move for Riley. Oklahoma is a traditional powerhouse program like USC, and is currently good. USC hasn’t been relevant in a while and is pretty unstable. I don’t know the details, but it seems kind of like Kirby Smart leaving Georgia to coach at Nebraska. IDK, just my two penny loafers…
I think those two (one real and one theoretical) situations are vastly different.

In my eyes the two main points would be:
- USC has a much higher ceiling in today's world than does Nebraska
- The Pac12 is much weaker than the big10

You know there are good teams/programs outside of the SEC don't you?

USC is 100% a step up from OU. USC is a destination job.
Since when? Pete Carroll had to cheat to create a championship caliber team. They’ve had quality coaches since with little to no success. The only chance he has making the playoffs will be if the P12 gets an automatic berth and he backs in.

USC job opened late compared to others, Kiffin was like the 5th or 6th choice after top targets said no.

Right now we are at the first stage of the job opening up late compared to others in the market.

Only difference for next part is that Heupel should easily be a top 3 target for OU whereas Kiffin was like top 10
The only list I've seen has Huepel at #12, and was stated that he was run off by a few OU boosters that didn't like him. So, really doubt he's a candidate.

My oldest just text me saying that OU has reached out to Heupel, he said NO. I didn't follow up with who had been reporting it. By looking at Heupel, he's exactly where he wants to be, call me naive, that's my opinion. Coach isn't going anywhere. GBO!!
I'm holding you to this. Please let this be true.

Below is an interesting old article I stumbled into. Heupel was offered the Louisiana Tech job and turned it down. The job went to Skip Holtz the following day. That may be a reason Heupel was so pizzed off when Stoops fired him at OU after the 2014 season. He had already turned down a head coach job to stay as OC with Stoops.

Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel turns down Louisiana Tech head-coaching job
By SportsDay Staff Dallas News
5:34 PM on Dec 12, 2012 CST

Rivals.com reported Tuesday that Heupel, who quarterbacked Oklahoma to the 2000 national championship, turned down Louisiana Tech’s head coaching position.
The Louisiana Tech gig would seemingly be an attractive one for a first-time head coach.

Lol… “notable” sources. I haven’t seen any notable sources saying ou contacted heupel and he declined. Only the bs Twitter accounts. Come on guys 😂

If you ever get the actual source please post it
I went out on twitter and did a search on the subject, here is what I found:

FFT6awaWQAQTIuV

Last edited:
Below is an interesting old article I stumbled into. Heupel was offered the Louisiana Tech job and turned it down. The job went to Skip Holtz the following day. That may be a reason Heupel was so pizzed off when Stoops fired him at OU after the 2014 season. He had already turned down a head coach job to stay as OC with Stoops.

Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel turns down Louisiana Tech head-coaching job
By SportsDay Staff Dallas News
5:34 PM on Dec 12, 2012 CST

Rivals.com reported Tuesday that Heupel, who quarterbacked Oklahoma to the 2000 national championship, turned down Louisiana Tech’s head coaching position.
The Louisiana Tech gig would seemingly be an attractive one for a first-time head coach.

This is my thinking. He was givin the boot by the same HC and AD back in 2014. I won't be shocked if Stoops doesn't take over if his brother says no and stays at Canturkey

Agree, Bob Stoops got OU up and running again, and Riley took it over. He'll have to rebuild himself at USCw. It's anybody's guess whether he can or not.

VN Store

Back