WR departures/recruiting

JH’s use of receivers is unlike most programs. Yes the big 3 put up prolific numbers but the short rotation usage brings up two questions.

1) with the portal being so easy now do WRs like Hyatt, Holliday, and Calloway move on to greener grass???

2) does this make it harder or easier to recruit the position??
Only if they think they are not good enough to play.

We are losing a lot on both lines of scrimmage that will be very hard to replace. I think both LOS units regress

WR and CB will get worse as well.

LB is the only unit I think will improve.

Of the starting Olinemen, Tennessee likely loses one starter...Cade Mays, who missed about half the season anyway. Carvin likely uses his Covid year and comes back. Then add in the 4 incoming freshmen (who we hope don't play, but at least they're there in case of injury, rather than walk-ons) and a year of development for everyone returning. I don't see the Oline regressing at all. In fact, I see it improving, especially with guys like RJ Perry, Jeremiah Crawford, and William Parker ready to make a jump. Also, let's not forget that Calbert has a year to come back if he'd like. He's been injury prone, so he may decide to hang it up, but if he comes back and stays healthy, the RT spot is his.

Of the Dlinemen who play, Tennessee loses Butler and Blakely. They also get Bumphus back after a redshirt, who has been hurt most of the year, and Elijah Simmons back, who has been hurt most of the year. That's two really good pieces being added who weren't available much this season. Add in a year of development under Garner for everyone and sign M'Ba who is a plug and play and the DLine very well could improve. And probably should. I think Roman Harrison is going to bust out next year and combine with Young/Baron to give UT its best pass rush in years.

At CB, you lose Taylor, who is no doubt a big loss, but who also wasn't good until this season. You bring back Hadden, Turnage (both of whom looked good when they had to play because of injury), Burrell, Rucker (who could make a big jump...loads of potential), guys like Slaughter and McDonald at the Nickel spot. Again, many of these guys will develop, especially guys going from their 1st year to 2nd year like Turnage, Rucker, and Hadden. So I don't really see all of this not compensating for the loss of Taylor. Again, I see improvement.

At Safety, I'd expect McCollough to get beat out (I'd beef him up and put him at LB, but that's me). Christian Charles should combine with Flowers as the starters and that's a good duo. If Tennessee also signs Marquise Gilbert, he's immediately pushing for one of those spots.

If Tillman goes pro, I could see WR getting worse. But if he comes back, it could get better or remain the same. But guys like Julian Nixon and Miles Campbell will be ready to be weapons at TE, which Tennessee really didn't have this year.

You seem to be discounting the idea of guys developing...which I understand because Tennessee hasn't done that for years. But this staff develops. Just during the course of the season, I've seen development from Banks, Beasley, Hooker, Tillman, Wright, Cooper Mays, Omari Thomas (he's become a beast), and others.

And we don't even know who Tennessee will grab from the portal, but I'd expect some good transfers to plug holes. I look for a good RB to come in like Gibbs or Bigsby...the running game should be improved as a result, since Evans only played a few games and Small was hurt a lot. Also, Wright has improved and will continue to improve as well as adding some good weight.

And finally....this 2021 roster has 60-something scholarship players. Being at or close to 85 next season is huge. Just having bodies is something Tennessee doesn't have this year, which is tough in the SEC. This roster will be much better next year.

Of the starting Olinemen, Tennessee likely loses one starter...Cade Mays, who missed about half the season anyway. Carvin likely uses his Covid year and comes back. Then add in the 4 incoming freshmen (who we hope don't play, but at least they're there in case of injury, rather than walk-ons) and a year of development for everyone returning. I don't see the Oline regressing at all. In fact, I see it improving, especially with guys like RJ Perry, Jeremiah Crawford, and William Parker ready to make a jump. Also, let's not forget that Calbert has a year to come back if he'd like. He's been injury prone, so he may decide to hang it up, but if he comes back and stays healthy, the RT spot is his.

Of the Dlinemen who play, Tennessee loses Butler and Blakely. They also get Bumphus back after a redshirt, who has been hurt most of the year, and Elijah Simmons back, who has been hurt most of the year. That's two really good pieces being added who weren't available much this season. Add in a year of development under Garner for everyone and sign M'Ba who is a plug and play and the DLine very well could improve. And probably should. I think Roman Harrison is going to bust out next year and combine with Young/Baron to give UT its best pass rush in years.

At CB, you lose Taylor, who is no doubt a big loss, but who also wasn't good until this season. You bring back Hadden, Turnage (both of whom looked good when they had to play because of injury), Burrell, Rucker (who could make a big jump...loads of potential), guys like Slaughter and McDonald at the Nickel spot. Again, many of these guys will develop, especially guys going from their 1st year to 2nd year like Turnage, Rucker, and Hadden. So I don't really see all of this not compensating for the loss of Taylor. Again, I see improvement.

At Safety, I'd expect McCollough to get beat out (I'd beef him up and put him at LB, but that's me). Christian Charles should combine with Flowers as the starters and that's a good duo. If Tennessee also signs Marquise Gilbert, he's immediately pushing for one of those spots.

If Tillman goes pro, I could see WR getting worse. But if he comes back, it could get better or remain the same. But guys like Julian Nixon and Miles Campbell will be ready to be weapons at TE, which Tennessee really didn't have this year.

You seem to be discounting the idea of guys developing...which I understand because Tennessee hasn't done that for years. But this staff develops. Just during the course of the season, I've seen development from Banks, Beasley, Hooker, Tillman, Wright, Cooper Mays, Omari Thomas (he's become a beast), and others.

And we don't even know who Tennessee will grab from the portal, but I'd expect some good transfers to plug holes. I look for a good RB to come in like Gibbs or Bigsby...the running game should be improved as a result, since Evans only played a few games and Small was hurt a lot. Also, Wright has improved and will continue to improve as well as adding some good weight.

And finally....this 2021 roster has 60-something scholarship players. Being at or close to 85 next season is huge. Just having bodies is something Tennessee doesn't have this year, which is tough in the SEC. This roster will be much better next year.

Good post.

I just see zero options on the roster at tackle so losing Mays is bad. I also think Carvin plays on Sunday’s next year. Add in the fact Wright is just a wild spirit he might decide to move on as well.

I think butler has been an all sec type player and I don’t think a bumpus or anyone else can replace his play next year.

Good post.

I just see zero options on the roster at tackle so losing Mays is bad. I also think Carvin plays on Sunday’s next year. Add in the fact Wright is just a wild spirit he might decide to move on as well.

I think butler has been an all sec type player and I don’t think a bumpus or anyone else can replace his play next year.

Obviously, those are all possibilities. Neither of us know what the portal will bring and what the final signing class will look like, either. I’d expect Tennessee to pursue some plug and play linemen in the portal regardless of what happens with Carvin/Calbert.

I’m just going to agree to disagree on Bumphus/Simmons. Their upsides are both higher than that of Butler/Blakely. Both will push for All SEC next year, if healthy.

Lots of unknowns still. But let’s look at this roster in August and compare how we feel about it then to how we felt about it in August in 2021. I believe we will feel MUCH better about our August 2022 roster than we felt about our August 2021 roster…even though we didn’t know then how little guys like Mays, Evans, Bumphus, and Simmons would play.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I’m optimistic about things but all along I have felt this season would be his best roster of the first 3-4 years. Maybe the transfer portal makes me wrong on that but I still am far from sold he’s going to stabilize this program BUT the guy says all the right things. I love how he’s handled things so far. A+ from me on that. He’s a genuine guy for sure

I felt this was a terrible roster coming into the season. Unproven at QB, RB, WR, TE, DL, LB, 1/2 corners, nickel, and below average safety play.

What about this roster impressed you?

Edit: I’ll add that this was also the senior year one of our worst recruiting classes, the 2018 class. It was rated very low relative to our typical classes, other than Alontae almost all of its highest rated players were gone.

I felt this was a terrible roster coming into the season. Unproven at QB, RB, WR, TE, DL, LB, 1/2 corners, nickel, and below average safety play.

What about this roster impressed you?

Edit: I’ll add that this was also the senior year one of our worst recruiting classes, the 2018 class. It was rated very low relative to our typical classes, other than Alontae almost all of its highest rated players were gone.

This is my point…no one felt good about this roster coming in and that was BEFORE we knew Mays, Evans, Bumphus, and Simmons would miss much of or most of the season.

There are guys on this roster who will improve tremendously because this staff develops. And there are guys not on this roster who will be and who will help.

This is my point…no one felt good about this roster coming in and that was BEFORE we knew Mays, Evans, Bumphus, and Simmons would miss much of or most of the season.

There are guys on this roster who will improve tremendously because this staff develops. And there are guys not on this roster who will be and who will help.

Along with the LB from TX. If you told anyone how many snaps Page and Beasley would play, that Tillman would be our best player, that Milton wouldn’t pan out and Hooker would be our QB, everyone would’ve said we’d have a terrible year

Subing one player on offense during the course of a series, including a WR, allows the referee to stand over the ball and not allow us to snap it until the defense subs as many players as they want. This is the main reason for lack of rotation. He's trying to keep the same personnel on the field that he begins the series with in many cases.

Subing one player on offense during the course of a series, including a WR, allows the referee to stand over the ball and not allow us to snap it until the defense subs as many players as they want. This is the main reason for lack of rotation. He's trying to keep the same personnel on the field that he begins the series with in many cases.

There’s more to it than that. We substituted WRs a lot more early in the season. He lost faith in our younger corps of WRs. Nothing prevents us from subbing between series, but we rarely did

Reactions: LittleVol
Along with the LB from TX. If you told anyone how many snaps Page and Beasley would play, that Tillman would be our best player, that Milton wouldn’t pan out and Hooker would be our QB, everyone would’ve said we’d have a terrible year

LOL! Hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right.

I liked this roster compared to our opponents in 7-8 games:
this roster wasn’t deep BUT it was very experienced. 7-5 was exactly where this roster should have performed imo

There’s more to it than that. We substituted WRs a lot more early in the season. He lost faith in our younger corps of WRs. Nothing prevents us from subbing between series, but we rarely did

I agree. I didn't mean for it to mean it was the only reason for the lack of rotation.

Reactions: Vol8188

Pretty sure Calbert went thru Senior Day so your top 2 options at RT are gone. Hopefully one of Perry, Parker, or Crawford can step into this spot. I expect Carvin to come back. Need to see major development from this group. Hooker can’t take that many sacks again. Butler is going to be a major loss due to snap count and production. M’ba needs to be a 30-40 snap guy at least. Fortunately, Omari Thomas made great strides throughout the season. LB is my biggest concern. Beasley and Page are not SEC caliber starters. Have to find portal replacements or high level freshmen. After that, you have to replace both safeties. Flowers is gone and McCollough is terrible. There has to be better safety play available between Charles, Rucker, McDonald, Slaughter, and Marquice Gilbert. Lacking too much athleticism and physicality. I think corner will be okay. Burrell got picked on this year, but he should be fine/average. I think Hadden, Turnage, and a JUCO/transfer can handle the other spot.

Last edited:
Correct. And the stats reflect that.

That's a good observation.

People are crazy about this offense. I'm not one of them YET. We had 3 straight 3 or 4 and outs to start the game. This offense stalls way too much. That is part of the reason for the low time of possession. And the less time you have the ball, the less rotation you'll have.
It has holes in it despite the nice scoring average.

Calloway dissapeared after having a strong early season. Hyatt took a step back too.

The offense needs more variety and moderation of the tempo. I lost count of how many times we ran ourselves off the field this season.
You do realize that we have one of the best in the country?

Reactions: barrylee

People are crazy about this offense. I'm not one of them YET. We had 3 straight 3 or 4 and outs to start the game. This offense stalls way too much. That is part of the reason for the low time of possession. And the less time you have the ball, the less rotation you'll have.

Calloway dissapeared after having a strong early season. Hyatt took a step back too.

The offense needs more variety and moderation of the tempo. I lost count of how many times we ran ourselves off the field this season.

We also ran six teams out of the stadium before halftime after losing the top three play-makers off an offense that struggled to score 20 last year.

I’m not convinced much else matters beyond scoring on offense and not allowing others to score on defense. Anything offensively that maximizes scoring is a net positive and anything defensively that minimizes scoring is a net positive.

I especially love this offense from a recruiting perspective because it allows both sides to put up madden style numbers

Pretty sure Calbert went thru Senior Day so your top 2 options at RT are gone. Hopefully one of Perry, Parker, or Crawford can step into this spot. I expect Carvin to come back. Need to see major development from this group. Hooker can’t take that many sacks again. Butler is going to be a major loss due to snap count and production. M’ba needs to be a 30-40 snap guy at least. Fortunately, Omari Thomas made great strides throughout the season. LB is my biggest concern. Beasley and Page are not SEC caliber starters. Have to find portal replacements or high level freshmen. After that, you have to replace both safeties. Flowers is gone and McCollough is terrible. There has to be better safety play available between Charles, Rucker, McDonald, Slaughter, and Marquice Gilbert. Lacking too much athleticism and physicality. I think corner will be okay. Burrell got picked on this year, but he should be fine/average. I think Hadden, Turnage, and a JUCO/transfer can handle the other spot.

Where is Flowers going? He has a Covid year under his belt, so unless he just doesn’t wanna play football anymore, he’s coming back. Also, I have no idea if Calbert is coming back, but going through senior day doesn’t mean he’s not.

Mitchell has another year for us at Lb right? Him and Banks alone may be our answer to improved LB play. I’m optimistic that Thomas, Simmons, and Terry will continue to improve enough to replace Butler. VQ guys believe Charles would’ve replaced one of those guys if he stayed healthy. I think we may see a lot of growth from this defense especially if we land 1-2 key jucos/transfers.

VN Store

Back