Miltons future?

Don't understand the "looks the part" and " physically gifted" comments about Milton.

A young Usain Bolt "looks the part" and is "physically gifted. Doesn't mean he, much like Milton, has the ability to play QB

Don't understand the "looks the part" and " physically gifted" comments about Milton.

A young Usain Bolt "looks the part" and is "physically gifted. Doesn't mean he, much like Milton, has the ability to play QB
Milton throws a thirty-yard out flat-footed. He probably has the best arm in college football. He hits receivers in stride at 70 yards in practice. He may be literally the most measurably perfect qb we’ve ever had. Harbaugh said he has more raw talent than any qb he’s ever seen. That said, he’s got a confidence problem, or a game pressure problem, or a lingering doubt problem, or something. Who knows. He makes a lot of bad decisions. His arm and accuracy aren’t the problem. He’s a freak. Turn on the lights on Saturday, and it all melts.

I’m hoping that Heupel can fix his problems and mold him into a starting QB. His instincts and situational awareness are pretty bad, but maybe that can be corrected.

Reactions: jarnol32
I’m just curious, and this is a serious question-why does everyone think that he has sky high potential? Where does this belief come from?
Anyone who has an arm and can fling a football 60-70 yards appearing almost effortlessly in my opinion has a modicum of potential.

Anyone who has an arm and can fling a football 60-70 yards appearing almost effortlessly in my opinion has a modicum of potential.
I agree to an extent. I remember Jimmy Sexton on that documentary talking about guys who show up at the combine and run a 4.2 40 and all hell breaks loose until it is discovered that they can’t do anything else. That’s where my agreement stops, I think is what I’m saying.

Milton has no touch. He is reasonably accurate, but often too much zip on the ball.

It’s just all the mental stuff. Qb is about 75% mental. As long as you have enough strength to get the ball 45+ yards you’re good. The rest is mental. But people will always say the guy that can throw the ball 10 yards further has all the potential even if he’s a terrible qb. That’s the case with Milton. He’s absolute garbage at the mental side of things. Garbage. But he sure can throw hard.

It would be best for Milton to transfer.
He doesn’t have the ability to play QB in this offense.
No touch on deep throws, stares down receivers, doesn’t go through progressions, hesitant and slow to run, and zero football IQ.
I think Hooker will be back and we will bring in a transfer QB to be QB2 next year and then compete for the job the following year

He's already transferred once. Won't he have to sit unless he went down a conference? I'm guessing if he transfers and has to sit, he'll stay at UT.
Transfer and can't play vs stay and maybe get to play.

One would wonder with Gabriel in the portal if we don't kick those tires.
Saw an article today that Dillon Gabriel is likely looking hard at Ole Miss with Jeff Lebby who recruited him to UCF (along with Coach Huep - but apparently DG didn't have kind things to say about CJH departing for UT). Since Matt Corral will be leaving for draft, OMiss is an obvious fit. IF Kiffy is still there of course.

He needs to add a class termed “Football IQ 101” to his Spring 2022 semester.

Actually? Tennessee needs another "Wild Bill" Cherry to teach Economic Geography. When I took it, I met more football players than in all my other classes combined. And even though his class really had little to do with economic geography, you leaned something new every day you went. He was actually alot like our own version of Mark Twain. If he was still around, I'd have Milton in there.

Saw an article today that Dillon Gabriel is likely looking hard at Ole Miss with Jeff Lebby who recruited him to UCF (along with Coach Huep - but apparently DG didn't have kind things to say about CJH departing for UT). Since Matt Corral will be leaving for draft, OMiss is an obvious fit. IF Kiffy is still there of course.
Kiffin or not, if Lebby is there, he'll be there.

If Kiffin were to leave, I think Lebby is promoted on the spot.

QB transfer target possibilities.
Raid USCw, as it appears at least one and possibly two of theirs will transfer in the wake of Clay Helton's firing.
We're free to contact Utah's freshman 4 star, Peter Costelli. However, he's a pro style QB so may not be a fit.
Maybe poke around to see what dual threat QB Chubba Purdy from FSU could provide for the UT.

I like Milton. The kid needs confidence and he needs consistency. How you fail to see potential is beyond me. I think he has been judged on 3 things. 1- his early season over throws. 2- the last play of the game vs Ole Miss where he runs instead of passing. 3- probably the fumble he gives up yesterday. Coming in and playing with the second and third team is not a good indication of his potential. Don’t get me wrong, he is behind Hooker at this point but I hope he stays. I feel better knowing he is there in case
something happens to Hooker.
He has more eligibility than Hooker and if he stays the course, he’ll get his shot. Personally, I think bouncing program to program is a setback for these young players in many situations

I grimace every time Milton comes into the game, even if we are comfortably ahead. He is a physical specimen, seems to shy from contact. With his size, if he would just feel the pressure, tuck the ball, and run, with determination, he would be hard to bring down. Derrick Henry size, but doesn't use it to his and the team's advantage. Also doesn't seem to understand protecting the football. Against Vandy, he has the ball in his left hand, surrounded by the Vandy defense, and carrying it like a loaf of bread, which a Vandy player slaps out of his hand. So much like Guarantano that I don't know if he will ever be a viable QB. If he somehow were to be a world beater next year, Heupel would truly deserve to be called a quarterback guru.

If Kiffin were to leave, Lebby would be the obvious favorite to land the job.

VN Store

Back