WR departures/recruiting

I’m optimistic about things but all along I have felt this season would be his best roster of the first 3-4 years. Maybe the transfer portal makes me wrong on that but I still am far from sold he’s going to stabilize this program BUT the guy says all the right things. I love how he’s handled things so far. A+ from me on that. He’s a genuine guy for sure
His style of play has made it a lot more fun to watch

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I can’t call that a 5 man rotation. I call what we saw 3 guys playing 90% or more of the snaps as a unit
Correct. And the stats reflect that.

That's a good observation.

People are crazy about this offense. I'm not one of them YET. We had 3 straight 3 or 4 and outs to start the game. This offense stalls way too much. That is part of the reason for the low time of possession. And the less time you have the ball, the less rotation you'll have.
It has holes in it despite the nice scoring average.

Calloway dissapeared after having a strong early season. Hyatt took a step back too.

The offense needs more variety and moderation of the tempo. I lost count of how many times we ran ourselves off the field this season.

People are crazy about this offense. I'm not one of them YET. We had 3 straight 3 or 4 and outs to start the game. This offense stalls way too much. That is part of the reason for the low time of possession. And the less time you have the ball, the less rotation you'll have.

Calloway dissapeared after having a strong early season. Hyatt took a step back too.

The offense needs more variety and moderation of the tempo. I lost count of how many times we ran ourselves off the field this season.

I’d love to see a stat that says what % of TDs we score after we get 1 first down. It seems to be that would be a crazy good stat but like you say getting that first first down is what has to happen

Two things in regards to your observations.....
1. Coach Golesh was recently asked about how much of the playbook the team had absorbed so far. His answer was that they were only at the "elementary school level". That tells me that we will see much more diversity next season.
2. You have to consider that our defense was awful at getting of the field on 3rd down and giving the ball back to the offense. We put up the stats we did this year on limited possessions. More possessions equals more opportunities for other people to play. This is another area that we should see improve greatly next season.

Don't worry about it, but it's happening. Bookmark this post.
Someone had told me of rumors that multiple receivers intend to hit the portal, but I dismissed it because it didn't make sense. This would make those rumors a little more valid.

maybe but Hyatt is the only one that even sniffed PT the last half of the year. Just not an ideal rotation for keeping the backups engaged.

hell I was thinking today during the game abijt the freshmen WR that caught some balls early In the year. Maybe we played him only 4 games to RS home but I don’t even recall his name

I don't think RS a skill player is even in the equation anymore due to the portal. Why RS a player, just wasting a scholarship. I can see it with the trench players, not as much with skill players.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

I think missing Cade really hurt us early. The Oline wasn’t operating very well when we tried to run causing us to get behind the sticks

Reactions: #1GatorHater
maybe but Hyatt is the only one that even sniffed PT the last half of the year. Just not an ideal rotation for keeping the backups engaged.

hell I was thinking today during the game abijt the freshmen WR that caught some balls early In the year. Maybe we played him only 4 games to RS home but I don’t even recall his name
They couldn’t trust the other receivers to rotate them. They tried to rotate receivers early in the year and the backups were not consistent enough.

That is on those backup receivers. Not Coach Huepel.

I really hope we can keep Hyatt and possibly bring his brother in to play with him. He hasn’t really received the playing time that he probably thought he would get so hopefully he puts his head down and keeps working. I think Calloway is in the dog house after some early drops not sure what’s going on there. I don’t see Holiday leaving.
Hyatt hasn't gotten the playing time because he dropped passes. Game 1 he was the number 1 target. He played himself out of opportunities

This. They tried to work Calloway in early, but after his big 4th down drop in Gainesville, he didn’t play much. Hyatt dropped a lot of passes too, but still had the 3rd most receptions on the team. Walker Merrill was also getting worked in early, but faded.

I don’t think it was that Heupel didn’t want to play more guys, it’s that he didn’t trust them to catch the damn ball. I hope they figure it out, because they’ll need to replace Velus and Payton next year. And Keyton is too slow.
Have not heard Walker Merrill’s name mentioned since early in the season. Did he fade or was there a decision to redshirt him as another poster suggested?

VN Store

Back