Tiyon Evans officially has entered transfer portal

Will not get drafted if he does that. We see athleticism and potential because we wear orange color glasses. He hasn’t proven anything.

He'd get signed as a UFA, but it wouldn't necessarily be an easy road. Still, if he has no plans to actually go to school, it still might be his best option.

The players have probably known this was coming, but you typically don’t see announcements like this from players or coaching changes the day before the last game of the regular season against an in-state rival for a reason. I just see no benefit from him doing it now instead of after the game tomorrow.

You state this like he would have had a GREAT impact on the team and game. I don't expect the team is giving it much thought. As with any person leaving a position of their own accord the impact should and usually is minimal on the rest of the team/employee group. That is unless the person was a big contributor or key leader of the team/group. This guy has been neither as I see it.

I thought to enter the portal you had to be in good academic standing at your current school?
You don’t have to be in good standing to transfer, but you do have to be in good standing to be eligible to play where you transfer.

there are more cases of this than most people can imagine.
Happened to me the first time I went to college. I was too busy being at college and not enough time being in college. Too much alcohol and chasing tail to make it to class. I guess I needed life to kick me in the azz before I got it together. Life lessons.

I think you misunderstand NIL. For some, there will be a true market exchange, and endorsement will foster business. By and large, NIL seems to be a way to move cash to players for on field performance, or the potential for same for recruits and transfers, that has little to do with actual advertising for the sponsor. In those cases, the wealthy alum is using the system to ensure the programs success , not build the alum’s business.

Per Basilio and a few others, UT got caught flat footed, thinking NIL was a year or so away. So very Tennessee.
So at what point do we toss the "student athlete" model?

Many here hate the NCAA restrictions. Who wouldn't? When do we just "tear off the band-aid" and admit, especially with NIL, these players are pro athletes, not student athletes, and re-brand D1 athletics as Developmental pro leagues?

It's been a poorly kept secret for decades that high quality athletes are getting paid in college and NIL is quickly (see: Ewers at Ohio State or Young at Bama) how silly the "student athlete" model is in today's market.

Let's ditch the NCAA, affiliate the teams with the NFL as developmental squads and get academics out of the picture.

So at what point do we toss the "student athlete" model?

Many here hate the NCAA restrictions. Who wouldn't? When do we just "tear off the band-aid" and admit, especially with NIL, these players are pro athletes, not student athletes, and re-brand D1 athletics as Developmental pro leagues?

It's been a poorly kept secret for decades that high quality athletes are getting paid in college and NIL is quickly (see: Ewers at Ohio State or Young at Bama) how silly the "student athlete" model is in today's market.

Let's ditch the NCAA, affiliate the teams with the NFL as developmental squads and get academics out of the picture.
The NFL doesn’t want that because they’d have to invest in it. They like having a free farm system via the NCAA. An alternative pre-NFL league would have to be created without NFL money. Given how many alternative football leagues have already failed though, I don’t see this happening

Reactions: KHVol
Don’t let the door hit you on the way out you loser. There’s no “ ME” in Team and you are the ultimate Me type of player we dont need. Hope we never see “VFL” next to your name
adios-hat.gif

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
If the NFL was the plan there would be no need to enter the transfer portal.
Entering the portal gives him a chance to save face over being declared ineligible? Not sure that would look good to the NFL guys. If he's been accurately portrayed here, I'm sure his work ethic will be a huge red flag with scouts. Kid just didn't mature and take advantage of his opportunity. He's likely skated thru life on physical talent alone. When it becomes a business, he doesn't have the rest of the package. Waste of God given ability. He's got a lot of company. He will be a 40 year old nothing looking back playing the coulda, woulda, shoulda game.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Academically, it's well past the withdrawal without a grade stage and since the University played him, he had to still be enrolled. He's getting grades unless he gets an exemption of some kind.

I don't know if you went to college but you can't just magically "unenroll" at the end of a term to make your grades not be recorded. That's not how it works.

Maybe someone who knows the details can explain this to us.

Withdraw from the University | One Stop Student Services

1637946387543.png

1637946247503.png

😳😳Make it make sense… Too many pages to read but just from reading his post, how exactly did he even get into UT?? This 💩 is mind blowing 😒😑

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out you loser. There’s no “ ME” in Team and you are the ultimate Me type of player we dont need. Hope we never see “VFL” next to your name

Attachments

• FD617C71-8754-4D1E-AD84-26645EAF0586.jpeg
    FD617C71-8754-4D1E-AD84-26645EAF0586.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: 1985Vols
If UT thought the NIL didn't start until next year...or were behind the 8 ball on the NIL then how did Fulkerson get a deal back months ago? I don't buy this........UT didn't know stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: tnvols72
The NFL doesn’t want that because they’d have to invest in it. They like having a free farm system via the NCAA. An alternative pre-NFL league would have to be created without NFL money. Given how many alternative football leagues have already failed though, I don’t see this happening
The NBA is doing it, reluctantly, but they're doing a developmental league and have been for awhile. They're getting some top recruits now and it's just a matter of time........ and college basketball is the NCAA cash cow. If it collapses, the NCAA collapses anyway.

The TV money for football tells me there's an audience, there's money to be made from these players before they hit the NFL. It's diversified among the conferences so it's harder for it to be tapped but if the SEC and B1G affiliate as "primary developmental programs" for the NFL, it's over for the student athlete model AND I'd suggest it might be better branding for those schools.

The money is already there for those schools so the NFL investment is minimized.

I do not think that W's (for withdrawn) look any better on a transcript than F's.
Correct. But did he withdraw from school or just enter the transfer portal?

Either way, if the issue is just not going to classes and flunking out, how would he be eligible at any other school? That is the part that doesn’t make sense.

Academically, it's well past the withdrawal without a grade stage and since the University played him, he had to still be enrolled. He's getting grades unless he gets an exemption of some kind.

I don't know if you went to college but you can't just magically "unenroll" at the end of a term to make your grades not be recorded. That's not how it works.

I wish it did. I have some classes I'd like un-enroll from.

He should have waited at least until after the Vandy game to do this to keep from being a distraction. I don’t know the situation, but it is crappy timing regardless.
According to Basilio blog for Nov. 16th, “word” around K-town was that Evans was shutting down playing for UT to focus on getting ready for NFL draft. It was also rumored that he wasn’t focused on academics.

Reactions: A.J.

VN Store

Back