Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I watched video on YouTube today of turkey mishaps. As a species, I'm really surprised we have survived as long as we have. People dropping a turkey into oil that is already on fire wearing shorts and a tee shirt with no gloves was a favorite pastime of some of the dumber ones.

I fried turkey breasts for a few years. They were delicious, but I never could get whole turkeys to cook evenly. If I'm cooking a whole bird, I've been smoking them.

I like smoked turkey and will do a bacon wrapped breast in addition to a fried bird when the wholedamnfam is here but my drethers is fried for a whole bird.

Reactions: AM64
No, I’m not an amateur.
I've fried one turkey in my life and while it was good, there was no damn way in hell I was going through that again. I spent over $200 on a turkey frier and 6 gallons of peanut oil to cook a $20 turkey. Once the turkey was done and sent into the house, I had to spend an hour cleaning up an oil splatter mess and dealing with the oil and equipment.
Fast forward 20 years and I now have a smoker and it is the holy grail of cooking turkey's. Screw the ER method, I'm only going to cook with a smoke from here on out.

Reactions: AM64 and AirVol
I've fried one turkey in my life and while it was good, there was no damn way in hell I was going through that again. I spent over $200 on a turkey frier and 6 gallons of peanut oil to cook a $20 turkey. Once the turkey was done and sent into the house, I had to spend an hour cleaning up an oil splatter mess and dealing with the oil and equipment.
Fast forward 20 years and I now have a smoker and it is the holy grail of cooking turkey's. Screw the ER method, I'm only going to cook with a smoke from here on out.

I’ve started using an electric fryer and it beats the hell out of the pot on the cooker stand.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
The initial investment is tough, but we use the fryer for fish, etc.

The initial investment is tough, but we use the fryer for fish, etc.
The oil investment alone is a small fortune. Fried anything tastes good though. I'm not condemning anyone's choice to fry, it's just not for most people, especially the ones that drink and don't have a clue of how hot to get the oil, what type to use and how much to use.

Turkey was great, injected with jalapeño garlic butter and rubbed with Creole seasoning. I wish I was camping, but I was actually using the camper as a wind break at the house, lol.

Ahh. We were at Fall Creek Falls last weekend camping and when we were pulling out a bunch of people were coming in for the week, told my wife we just might spend next Thanksgiving camping somewhere.

Reactions: AM64 and VolStrom

VN Store

Back