Game Notes: Vanderbilt @ Ole Miss Week 12 (last wk)

BigSteve09

Moran
Don't know how many people watched the Vandy @ Ole Miss game last week. Figured this would be a good thread to compile notes and thoughts beyond the obvious WGWTFA.

There is only so much football left this season. This is the last regular week of football, rivalry week. This is the last game that many guys will be suiting up in orange & white. Let's put a little prep and discussion into it.

A few things that jump out ahead of watching the game:
* Ole Miss is probably about as similar to Tennessee as the Vandy defense will have seen this year. They got a little taste last week of the tempo.
* The final score was Ole Miss 31, Vanderbilt 17. The spread was Ole Miss -36.5, so what happened? Was Ole Miss that limited?
* Vanderbilt considers Ole Miss a rival as well. Not as storied as our rivalry, but it's not like they came out flat for this game. It was also their shot at a statement game, playing rival ranked Ole Miss in their house.

I had one TV on this game last week, but I didn't get to peek at it as much as I thought I would. I was honestly expecting to see the "TOUCHDOWN" graphic 20 times and just be able to keep up that way. Not so.

Watching the replay here:

NOTES:

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Vandy kicked the opening kickoff out of bounds, Ole Miss had a big kickoff return and broke a long punt return. Velus could eat in the return game. Vandy does have a decent kicker.

OLE MISS FIRST HALF VS VANDY:
The Ole Miss tempo and quick pace seemed to keep the Vandy defense on their heels early.
Ole Miss scored in their opening drive in just over a minute and 5 plays. The second Ole Miss drive was damn near in the red zone again in 3 plays. Ole Miss scored on their fourth drive in 3 minutes. They got inside the Vandy 10 with ease on their 5th drive, but Corral tried to scramble for a TD on 4th down and got stood up. The Vandy defense started the game bringing 1-2 extra guys every play. Ole Miss WR were getting behind their secondary as well. After the first 3 Ole Miss drives they dropped their secondary back to limit the big play, kept an eye on Corral, and surrendered the middle of the field.
Corral missed some easy throws early.
Remember when Ole Miss wasn't connecting on passes vs us? Corral missed 3 TD passes in the first half.
Starting in the 2nd Quarter, Vandy decided that Ole Miss was NOT going to beat them passing. This seemed to bother Corral. Ole Miss's best plays were running plays. Corral continued to inexplicably look for the bomb, but Vandy was staying over the top, limiting the big play.

VANDERILT OFFENSE & QB WRIGHT:
Vanderbilt came out running the option, QB draws, and lots of reads.
Ole Miss LBs were attacking and disruptive. Vandy did a lot of option, play action, reads in the backfield. Ole Miss was throwing their timing off or outright disrupting the play. Seems like every play their brought pressure ruined Vandy's plans.
Vandy finally found success in their run game in their third offensive drive. The sooner that QB Wright handed it off, the more yards they got.
Wright looks like he should have played for Georgia Tech 5 years ago. His best passing plays are play action. He looks to get to the edge on play action or on his QB runs. He favors his speed to the sideline. He looks for the 1-2 receivers that are coming back along the sideline, or he sprints for the marker. He did convert some 3rd and 4th downs with his legs.
Vandy OL gets good push on running plays. Vandy OL not great at pass pro.
Wright - not a great arm.
Vandy came out in the second half with the intent to throw their way back into the game. Wright must have gone 3 for 11, this is not an exaggeration. Their first drive of the 2nd half was also made difficult by 2 more false starts, and at least 2 drops. 2 more contested break-ups and a near interception. Vanderbilt's passing game just does not work. They moved the ball on the ground - either by designed runs or Wright scrambling to the edge.

VANDERBILT PENALTIES:
Vandy shot themselves in the foot at least once on every single offensive drive. Especially in key moments (3rd downs or deep in Ole Miss territory on a successful drive). False starts, snapping the ball too early. Their timing was off. The stadium at Ole Miss wasn't even full, wasn't loud AT ALL, and Ole Miss wasn't doing anything extraordinary to create these issues for Vanderbilt. If our fans show up to support the boys, and get loud, it will create issues for Vandy.

MATT CORRAL:
Corral was looking for the big play a lot, especially early. I think that Hooker will be more poised and decisive and find the open man quickly.
Corral looked to bomb it on 85% of his passing plays, it seemed, if it wasn't there he would take off. Vandy defense started limiting the big play. Ole Miss offense turned into Corral scrambling or rushing plays.
Don't know if Corral was having an off night, or was pressing because of other QB performances that day, but he was PRESSING. If that game is played in a vacuum, he could have led an offense that scored on every drive.

HALFTIME:
Ole Miss 24, Vandy 9. Ole Miss could have easily had 28 or 35 points. Corral was holding Ole Miss back in the 1st half. Again, I think he was pressing for Heisman love or just because that's his style. His eyes were 20+ yards downfield on every play, then it wasn't there, he got to scootin. His mid-range throws were almost all contested, off-target, or completed in very tight windows. I think that Vanderbilt will repeat this with us - attempt to limit the big play, hope that our QB panics or makes a mistake. Literally the only drive in the 1st half that Vandy stopped Ole Miss was because of two offensive penalties on Ole Miss. Every other drive they had their way, ESPECIALLY on the ground.

2ND HALF NOTES:
Vandy ate up 7+ minutes on their first drive of the 2nd half. Ole Miss came out sloppy/rusty. Looked like Ole Miss wanted to pack it up and get to Miss St. Vandy was content eating clock and running the ball (probably out of necessity). The second half was ugly, terrible football. After Ole Miss scored (running) to go up 31-9 both teams went boring/vanilla. Vanerbilt was happy to eat clock and keep it close. Corral went back to trying to bomb it to finish the game. Stats padder. Tried to force another late TD pass and got picked off. Could have easily capped the drive off with a rushing score.

FINAL STATS:
* Matt Corral was 27/36 for 326 yards, 2 TD, 1 Int
* Vandy had 454 total yards, 213 rushing - but only got in the endzone once
* Vandy had nearly 39 minutes of Time of Possession (whatever)
* Ole Miss averaged like 7 yards per play

SPARE NOTES:
* Ole Miss LB Campbell is their everything on defense. He was a transfer. I wish that we could find a guy like him in the portal this offseason.

FINAL THOUGHTS (TL;DR):
This game could look and play out exactly like the Missouri and South Carolina games if we want it to. It looks like Vandy will attempt to limit the big play. This will open up the middle of the field for mid-range completions and especially the run game. Ole Miss could have had 5 rushing TDs in the first half, but Kiffin/Corral were pressing for stats. I think that Hooker could have a great game if he takes what's available and keeps the drive alive. Our RBs could have whatever kind of game that they want to have. Velus could see another TD on special teams. On defense, Vandy QB Wright will not move the ball passing. We have to bring pressure to disrupt their weird option/draw/read offense that they want to come out running. Loud crowd could disrupt their rhythm as well. If we do a better job connecting on big plays early, and utilizing the run, we should blow Vandy off the field quicker than Ole Miss did and keep them at arms length.

Last edited:
I expect us to play Vandy harder than Ole Miss did, this is "Rivalry Week". I expect us to score on our first few possessions and put this game out of hand before half time. Late in the third quarter I expect the score to be something like 42-7 and then MIlton comes in and scores late and maybe the backup defense for the Vol's gives up a late score.

Final 56-14 Vols with the win.

GBO

I expect us to play Vandy harder than Ole Miss did, this is "Rivalry Week". I expect us to score on our first few possessions and put this game out of hand before half time. Late in the third quarter I expect the score to be something like 42-7 and then MIlton comes in and scores late and maybe the backup defense for the Vol's gives up a late score.

GBO
Yeah I think you hit the flow on the head.

On the good Vandy only has 9 sacks this season. They don't pass well and we are pretty good against the run.

They don't have the depth and won't get a chance to substitute much so I expect their D to be gassed by mid 2nd qtr. We spread the ball to our WRs and more than OM so the coverage is more difficult. I expect CHJ to throw to a RB early to gash the defense and screw with the LBs.

We should spank them hard on the return game and this will be the one game where special teams isn't fooled again! Also don't be surprised if we block a punt.

I don't honestly see Vandy scoring more than 16. I don't think we score less than 40.

This isn't about looking over an opponent this is about our guys going out executing and having fun doing it. Also our guys want to go to a FL Bowl, not Birmingham or Texas bowl.

GBO
I hope you are right. But I think you are having a daydream. As you say, it is "Rivalry Week", do you think this is though of by only UT? Vandy will not be as much of a pushover as you and others think. I expect a hard fought game that we will win, but not a runaway (until maybe late). Remember, over the last few years we have not beaten them every year as of old, I know things have changed this year for both but Vandy will not "lay down" for UT (us). They are not the old Vandy teams that just went through the motions, they play the game as best as they can.

I hope you are right. But I think you are having a daydream. As you say, it is "Rivalry Week", do you think this is though of by only UT? Vandy will not be as much of a pushover as you and others think. I expect a hard fought game that we will win, but not a runaway (until maybe late). Remember, over the last few years we have not beaten them every year as of old, I know things have changed this year for both but Vandy will not "lay down" for UT (us). They are not the old Vandy teams that just went through the motions, they play the game as best as they can.
There's a difference between laying down and having the ability to play competitive/capable football.

As pointed out in my original post, Ole Miss could have and should have run off with this game. Only through their mistakes, and emphasizing the pass for Corral (for Heisman stats), did they keep Vanderbilt in this game.

Vanderbilt did not get in the endzone until the end of the game, once Ole Miss had packed it in. Ole Miss left 3 TDs on the field trying to pass when they could have just as easily named their score running the ball.

Vandy laid down for us last year when we beat them 42-17. Would you say that this team's offense is better? Would you say that this team's defense is better?

It's rivalry week for us too. And senior night.

I hope you're wrong, though I suspect you may not be. Just the same, I say we am bowl hungry. We play big and mean. Vols safari hunt the commodore, using a Vols navy Constellation class guided missile frigate. Wid Hooker supplying the missiles. Small supplying the MK50 ship-launched torpedo attack and Evans supplying the MK54 torpedo attack. After the commies are softened up by quarter 4, Milton will supply the Mk110 gun bombardment. What can I say, I like fireworks.

There's a difference between laying down and having the ability to play competitive/capable football.

As pointed out in my original post, Ole Miss could have and should have run off with this game. Only through their mistakes, and emphasizing the pass for Corral (for Heisman stats), did they keep Vanderbilt in this game.

Vanderbilt did not get in the endzone until the end of the game, once Ole Miss had packed it in. Ole Miss left 3 TDs on the field trying to pass when they could have just as easily named their score running the ball.

Vandy laid down for us last year when we beat them 42-17. Would you say that this team's offense is better? Would you say that this team's defense is better?

It's rivalry week for us too. And senior night.

Not gonna argue. I would only point out that "laydown" is not only Vandy's lately season performance when playing us. (this is to point out only the last few years) I think of the series as a whole (that is from the earliest of my memory 1953-4) Vandy usually until they run out of gas makes it a tough game.

Reactions: BigSteve09
I hope you're wrong, though I suspect you may not be. Just the same, I say we am bowl hungry. We play big and mean. Vols safari hunt the commodore, using a Vols navy Constellation class guided missile frigate. Wid Hooker supplying the missiles. Small supplying the MK50 ship-launched torpedo attack and Evans supplying the MK54 torpedo attack. After the commies are softened up by quarter 4, Milton will supply the Mk110 gun bombardment. What can I say, I like fireworks.
Beyond this - - - - you lost me.

Not gonna argue. I would only point out that "laydown" is not only Vandy's lately season performance when playing us. (this is to point out only the last few years) I think of the series as a whole (that is from the earliest of my memory 1953-4) Vandy usually until they run out of gas makes it a tough game.
We did have a lot of close calls during our dominant run in this series

I still can't believe they are 5-5 in the last 10. Disgusting

Reactions: savannahfan
Beyond this - - - - you lost me.

Let it go. I imagine only a contemporary navy service person knows what I'm talking about. Just play on Vandy Commodores being maritime personel and their ship being sunk via various weaponry. Not worth going into detail, we all know I'm nuts.

Let it go. I imagine only a contemporary navy service person knows what I'm talking about. Just play on Vandy Commodores being maritime personel and their ship being sunk via various weaponry. Not worth going into detail, we all know I'm nuts.
Navy - 1963 - - -

VN Store

Back