Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

PAC12 is going to be very interesting this year.

Oregon will be really good when they get everyone back and healthy. I think they could end up being as good as "Stamford" this year. I don't know much about Arizona's roster, sure looks like their coach is really good though, the kind of team nobody wants to play, they are legit. UCLA and Oreg St. will both be very good. I think that conference will get 6-7 teams into the tournament if Wash St and Colo play as expected.

ACC looks like Louisville and NCSU will be the top two teams, this conference drops off fast after that however. At least 5 teams should make the tourney, maybe 6. Outside of Louisville and NCSU, I think Duke might be the 3rd best team followed by FSU and VT and finally GT.

B12 is Baylor and Texas in order, followed by Iowa State and some decent teams like OK and WVU. Probably 4-5 tourney teams.

B10 is loaded in 2021-2022. Md., Indiana, Mich, Iowa and Ohio State are tourney teams. Mich State might be as well. These teams are very competitive with each other and most are full of experience at key spots. 6-7 teams from this conference should be in.

NCAAW SEC Schedule - Women's Basketball - ESPN

Three games in the SEC today the last two could be fairly interesting games.
Missouri is not a good matchup for Troy, who tends to concede the 3 pt shot. This will be shootout, but the kind of game that could get away from Troy in a hurry even if they put up 80 points. Missouri's shooters could end up with career highs across the board.

Tulane-LSU is an interesting one. If JerKaila Jordan hadn't transferred to MSST, they would be a really dangerous team. As it stands, I can't imagine LSU losing this one. I'm sure Kim is still ruing the fact that she couldn't get things to work out with Moon Ursin. She could have a been a huge impact player for LSU this season.

PAC12 is going to be very interesting this year.

Oregon will be really good when they get everyone back and healthy. I think they could end up being as good as "Stamford" this year. I don't know much about Arizona's roster, sure looks like their coach is really good though, the kind of team nobody wants to play, they are legit. UCLA and Oreg St. will both be very good. I think that conference will get 6-7 teams into the tournament if Wash St and Colo play as expected.

ACC looks like Louisville and NCSU will be the top two teams, this conference drops off fast after that however. At least 5 teams should make the tourney, maybe 6. Outside of Louisville and NCSU, I think Duke might be the 3rd best team followed by FSU and VT and finally GT.

B12 is Baylor and Texas in order, followed by Iowa State and some decent teams like OK and WVU. Probably 4-5 tourney teams.

B10 is loaded in 2021-2022. Md., Indiana, Mich, Iowa and Ohio State are tourney teams. Mich State might be as well. These teams are very competitive with each other and most are full of experience at key spots. 6-7 teams from this conference should be in.

ND, VT, Duke, FSU and possibly UNC will be solid teams in the ACC to go along with NCST and UoL. Not sold on GaTech, what with them losing to Auburn of all teams...

Missouri is not a good matchup for Troy, who tends to concede the 3 pt shot. This will be shootout, but the kind of game that could get away from Troy in a hurry even if they put up 80 points. Missouri's shooters could end up with career highs across the board.

Tulane-LSU is an interesting one. If JerKaila Jordan hadn't transferred to MSST, they would be a really dangerous team. As it stands, I can't imagine LSU losing this one. I'm sure Kim is still ruing the fact that she couldn't get things to work out with Moon Ursin. She could have a been a huge impact player for LSU this season.

JerKaila Jordan is a baller a tough check for anyone at the SG position.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
JerKaila Jordan is a baller a tough check for anyone at the SG position.
JerKaila combined with Rickea Jackson and Anastasia Hayes (with Myah Taylor finding out who's open) is a potent offensive threat. The #5 spot is the only weakness for MSST right now. If they get Jessika back in shape, they will be one of those teams that no one wants to see early in the NCAAT.

JerKaila combined with Rickea Jackson and Anastasia Hayes (with Myah Taylor finding out who's open) is a potent offensive threat. The #5 spot is the only weakness for MSST right now. If they get Jessika back in shape, they will be one of those teams that no one wants to see early in the NCAAT.

Agree

I watched that game last night, and Arkansas was doing everything in their power to make it more difficult than it needed to be. They were so atrociously bad at the FT line - 11 for 27. Sasha Goforth was 2-10 and airballed one of them (she shot 70+% last season). They also missed a ton of open threes and mid range shots, and couldn't hit a layup to save their lives. SMU hit some contested jumpers to keep it close, but the final score was more the result of Arkansas' general incompetence vs. SMU doing anything on their end. It wasn't as close as the score indicated and SMU couldn't keep the score close enough to worry Arkansas too much. The final score was more SMU chipping away at a double digit deficit than a to-the-wire finish.

They have the pieces, though. They are a different team from last season without Dungee, but have the potential to be explosive offensively. Jersey didn't play much. I think she's injured or sick, because she sat out the last game too. They will be better by the time SEC play starts. Daniels, Ramirez, Goforth and Barnum are a strong core, with some good depth on the bench.

I agree; they are very good and a very tough out. But just to be accurate--and to defend my team a bit without, I hope, being overly homerish--Oregon has been playing 3 games in three days with a roster of 8, which--more to the point--does not include 3 starters (Paopao, Rogers, Sabally), all of them all conference last year and the 3 best players on the team, + a reserve guard, who looked very good in the one game she has played, and a grad transfer who hasn't been cleared by the NCAA. I realize Burrell is a very big loss for Tennessee, but imagine adding to that loss Horston, Key, and a reserve and then ask, how would that team look playing 3 games in 3 days, one against the best team currently, another against a very good team, and a third against an experienced team that isn't exactly a pushover? Injury-wise, the Ducks have not gotten a lot of help from the basketball gods since the cancellation of the 2019-20 tournament cost the best team in program history a chance at winning a title (despite Dawn's banner).
Good Lord! We’ve got a duck to go with the clucks. Come on in the waters fine!

Reactions: creekdipper
Hey @Rooster1. Congratulations marvelous performance. The only problem I see with you guys is you were so good today, can you get any better in March. ;) Not that you really have to get any better, this game is national championship worthy. SCAR is too balanced and with Boston and Cook leading the way they are an awesome team. Boston has dramatically increased her mobility.
I'm here @VolBall09 and @Rickster ; I was watching the KK Arnold commitment broadcast.
Thought it was a great game for 2 quarters. After that SCAR just had too much. UConn was gassed half way through the 3rd period. I didn't expect the first half to be as close as it was. I expected to be playing uphill all game and a I believe that over the 3 days Dawn coached for the tournament and Geno says he doesn't coach for November.

Most of the Boneyard picked this as a SCAR win. Here is a copy of my prediction: "The question is not who do you want to win, but looking realistically at the current performance of two teams, who is more likely to win today. Do not impugn my heart, it will always reflect my confidence in the girls wearing American flag blue and the coaches. My head says SC 75 -68."

So I thought it could have been closer. Over all I am happy with the team. A bit disappointed in Fudd and Juhazs. Cardosso was like we saw her last year. Great height, great hands, little drive; but she is a capable sub for Boston. We have got to get an answer for Cook by January. If we can slow her down we can get ONO some help from the wings. I hope to see you at CLA!

Huskies not supposed to get tired, bred for stamina.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret178

If, according to Creme, Maryland is the #2 overall in the field, why would Creme have them going to the Wichita Regional? If they are seeded higher than UCONN shouldn't they get priority for the closer Regional? Seems Maryland should be sent to Bridgeport and UCONN to Wichita. Also, they should be on the same side of the bracket as UCONN and NC State on the side with SCAR.

If, according to Creme, Maryland is the #2 overall in the field, why would Creme have them going to the Wichita Regional? If they are seeded higher than UCONN shouldn't they get priority for the closer Regional? Seems Maryland should be sent to Bridgeport and UCONN to Wichita. Also, they should be on the same side of the bracket as UCONN and NC State on the side with SCAR.

UCONN usually gets the closest region because they have a fan base that will travel. Don’t like the reasoning but I believe that’s why the committee does it. More likely to have a good crowd and lots tune into their games.

UCONN usually gets the closest region because they have a fan base that will travel. Don’t like the reasoning but I believe that’s why the committee does it. More likely to have a good crowd and lots tune into their games.
IIRC, it hasn't just been UConn that benefits from this (but they seem to benefit the most because Bridgeport is almost always a region). There have been S16/E8 matchups that were on the homecourt of the lower seeded team because of geography.

I watched that game last night, and Arkansas was doing everything in their power to make it more difficult than it needed to be. They were so atrociously bad at the FT line - 11 for 27. Sasha Goforth was 2-10 and airballed one of them (she shot 70+% last season). They also missed a ton of open threes and mid range shots, and couldn't hit a layup to save their lives. SMU hit some contested jumpers to keep it close, but the final score was more the result of Arkansas' general incompetence vs. SMU doing anything on their end. It wasn't as close as the score indicated and SMU couldn't keep the score close enough to worry Arkansas too much. The final score was more SMU chipping away at a double digit deficit than a to-the-wire finish.

They have the pieces, though. They are a different team from last season without Dungee, but have the potential to be explosive offensively. Jersey didn't play much. I think she's injured or sick, because she sat out the last game too. They will be better by the time SEC play starts. Daniels, Ramirez, Goforth and Barnum are a strong core, with some good depth on the bench.

Agree with your take as well. I watched also and didn’t think Arkansas looked very good at all. They have lots of talented players but no real system. Everything is a read but they don’t have that de factor scorer without Dungee. Really like the freshman Spencer? I think, quick and can score. Wolfenbarger has lots of potential but I think she’s going to get flung around like a rag doll in the SEC.

SMU is well coached and they played tough. Arkansas was trying to give this one away most of the game though.

Agree with your take as well. I watched also and didn’t think Arkansas looked very good at all. They have lots of talented players but no real system. Everything is a read but they don’t have that de factor scorer without Dungee. Really like the freshman Spencer? I think, quick and can score. Wolfenbarger has lots of potential but I think she’s going to get flung around like a rag doll in the SEC.

SMU is well coached and they played tough. Arkansas was trying to give this one away most of the game though.
I don't think that Neighbors will play Jersey at the 5. He'll probably have her at the 4 and Barnum at the 5. Eventually (not sure this year), she will be a nightmare matchup at the 4 against any team they go up against. She was my pre-season pick for SEC FOY (*fixed, not POY!), so I'm curious to see how she develops this year. Arkansas has better size across the board this year, and they won't be as susceptible to being overwhelmed by bigger teams if Wolfenbarger/Dauda are good enough to play major minutes come the meat of SEC play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back