CJH taking care of his players

I LOVE THIS, but wait........ didn't we lose a really good basketball coach 'cause of a cook out? F it. This is FOOTBALL. No one says "It's basketball time in Tennessee"

EDIT: I would love to shove a turkey up the NCAA's A$$!!!!
No, we lost a coach because he had a recruit at a cookout. And then lied about it. Basic NCAA 101, don't lie. Aaron Craft the player could eat turkey all day long at Coach Pearls house.

Many of them specifically made for that purpose.

Funny+Turkey.jpg

You only told part of the story. An entire generation died in the desert because they complained all the time and refused to enter the promised land when given the chance.

There. I said it. :)
The other part that would be depressing about this analogy is that Moses never entered the Promised Land.

They aren't recruits so its no big deal...I am sure CJH knows what he's doing.
Yes thats the difference. Players on rosters versus recruits. But even then that wasn't a mjor violation. The major violation was that Pearl lied about it and even called Crafts family asking to corroborate that it didnt happen. People that say it was just having kids at his house that was the issue. No where close. They would have accepted that minor violation and little would have happened. What Heupel is doing is not an issue. Heck Pat Summitt regularly for NCAA tournament selection shows had her team at her house for food and party and was nationally televised at time. We all know Summitt was squeaky clean. Heupel having these kids at house as current players on roster is a non issue.

I've heard comments from Volnation posters, ESPN, and talk show commentators about CJH:

* What a good offensive mind he has
* One of NCAA's best young coaches
* A great hire and has UT heading in the right direction
* Knows how to get the most out of his players
* Etc.

The one comment that I have never heard players say about their coach, and I've heard it at least 4 times this year about CJH:

" Coach JH is a great teacher and you can really tell he loves us and wants us to love each other like a family"

A lot of these guys may have not had a fathers influence. Who wouldn't play hard for someone that loves them. I know, it's corny, but it impressed me.
I don't think it's corny at all. One caring adult can change a life forever. I loved a comment CJH made in a press conference about keeping the main thing the main thing and he clarified with "and in a football setting, that's football." Sounds like he knows how to balance relationships on and off the field. I am totally behind him as the head coach at UT and would trust my son to his keeping. Go Vols!

He is referring to Arian Foster saying he got extra benefits while at Tennessee. He said he told a coach he was hungry and the ciach brought him like 50 tacos. (Paraphrasing of course)
Ahh, ok. Foster won me a fantasy football championship way back when...

A common assumption in college football:

A lot of these guys may have not had a fathers influence.

...and OP does say "may" so it's ok, but I really wonder if "a lot" is an accurate statement. What drives this assumption? On a hundred man roster, what constitutes "a lot?" Many marriages end in divorce (50% I think) but that doesn't necessarily mean the father isn't a part of their lives, and there are usually step fathers in there. I'd be curious to know actual numbers. I think even fathers that have always been around would want a coach that watches out for their son.

Josh is a players coach and you can tell that he loves his kids that's why they play so hard for him. This team has overachieved and Josh and his staff are the reasons why. I'm proud to have him as our HC. I think he's the one we've been looking for Nation.

GBO
I posted a week or so ago, about a conversation I heard between a former Vol and a current player who has excelled this year under this staff. The quote that stood out to me, I’ll post it again, “coach Heup is real and it’s easy to play hard for him!”
GBO!!
Good for him but man, I can’t imagine a coach not doing this. Is it sad this is noteworthy or what
if I were younger I’d pretend to be some 4th team walk on and try to sneak in. I bet the Heupel’s are gonna have a sweet spread for thanksgiving!
GBO!!

There was once a people who were down trodden. Spent 40 years in the desert, teaching, learning. Then they entered the Promised Land and slaughtered every thing in their path. I ain't sayin' CJH is Moses; however, closest thing I've seen Tennessee Football wise for a while at least. I hope the slaughtering in the near future part is right . GO VOLS!

If you remember it was JOSHua that led the people into the land that flowed with milk and honey.

Man. Hope CJH has like a dozen deep fryers.

Here?s a look at the universities which spent the most money on meals for college athletes in a recent study, according to Forbes.

1. University of Arkansas: $3.5 million
2. Ohio State University: $3.1 million
3. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: $2.8 million
4. University of Iowa: $2.8 million
5. Texas A&M University, College Station: $2.7 million
6. University of Texas, Austin: $2.6 million
7. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities: $2.5 million
8. University of Kansas: $2.2 million
9. University of Tennessee, Knoxville: $1.9 million
LMAO you know Sam Pittman likes to eat!
GBO!!

Reactions: dduncan4163
Man. Hope CJH has like a dozen deep fryers.

Here?s a look at the universities which spent the most money on meals for college athletes in a recent study, according to Forbes.

1. University of Arkansas: $3.5 million
2. Ohio State University: $3.1 million
3. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: $2.8 million
4. University of Iowa: $2.8 million
5. Texas A&M University, College Station: $2.7 million
6. University of Texas, Austin: $2.6 million
7. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities: $2.5 million
8. University of Kansas: $2.2 million
9. University of Tennessee, Knoxville: $1.9 million
3.5 mil to slop the hogs.

I've heard comments from Volnation posters, ESPN, and talk show commentators about CJH:

* What a good offensive mind he has
* One of NCAA's best young coaches
* A great hire and has UT heading in the right direction
* Knows how to get the most out of his players
* Etc.

The one comment that I have never heard players say about their coach, and I've heard it at least 4 times this year about CJH:

" Coach JH is a great teacher and you can really tell he loves us and wants us to love each other like a family"

A lot of these guys may have not had a fathers influence. Who wouldn't play hard for someone that loves them. I know, it's corny, but it impressed me.
And this is how you build a program back to respectability. Trust from the players is first, teaching, mentoring, and downright genuine. Parents want to know their kids are in good hands and CJH fills that role. So much more to life after football and he gets it. It's not about demoralizing the players, having slogans, cliches, or having the personality of a door knob. Count me as one who feels like he's got this program going in the right direction. Just give him time to recruit & develop his players and we should be just fine.
Go Vols!!

Last edited:
Yes thats the difference. Players on rosters versus recruits. But even then that wasn't a mjor violation. The major violation was that Pearl lied about it and even called Crafts family asking to corroborate that it didnt happen. People that say it was just having kids at his house that was the issue. No where close. They would have accepted that minor violation and little would have happened. What Heupel is doing is not an issue. Heck Pat Summitt regularly for NCAA tournament selection shows had her team at her house for food and party and was nationally televised at time. We all know Summitt was squeaky clean. Heupel having these kids at house as current players on roster is a non issue.
Hell Summit used to even invite the visiting team over to her house for dinner on a few occasions if they were playing on a holiday weekend....She was the ultimate classy lady.

There was once a people who were down trodden. Spent 40 years in the desert, teaching, learning. Then they entered the Promised Land and slaughtered every thing in their path. I ain't sayin' CJH is Moses; however, closest thing I've seen Tennessee Football wise for a while at least. I hope the slaughtering in the near future part is right . GO VOLS!

I hope he isn't Moses, actually. I hope he's Joshua!

This one got my respect for sure.

Experienced that once in the mid-70's while stationed in Germany. A young sargeant and his wife hosted me and a few other guys at their house for Thanksgiving. It was...special. Made me feel wanted. Previously, I'd done 24 hour arms room guard over Thanksgiving. Even that was special in its own way. Sharing at this time of the year can't be over-estimated.

VN Store

Back