Saturday could be the last time Neyland can hold 100k+

It’s stupid. I get that you want amenities, but once upon a time when we actually mattered on the national landscape, the size of Neyland was a great selling point to recruits and it was once considered on par with LSU as the toughest place to play in college football.

Idiot Mike Hamilton was the one who started shrinking it. When Peyton and Tee were the QB, we were at 104,079 and even today would be the largest stadium in the SEC, and the loudest in the country had Hamilton not decided he wanted to shrink the stadium to match his shrinking Johnson.

It doesn’t help the Vols to be around conference average just so lil’ Haslam can entertain his cronies.

It’s stupid. I get that you want amenities, but once upon a time when we actually mattered on the national landscape, the size of Neyland was a great selling point to recruits and it was once considered on par with LSU as the toughest place to play in college football.

Idiot Mike Hamilton was the one who started shrinking it. When Peyton and Tee were the QB, we were at 104,079 and even today would be the largest stadium in the SEC, and the loudest in the country had Hamilton not decided he wanted to shrink the stadium to match his shrinking Johnson.

It doesn’t help the Vols to be around conference average just so lil’ Haslam can entertain his cronies.
Times change. My first UT game was early 70’s and you could sit on the hill outside of the stadium. Many people were upset when they finished the north end zone. Now people want amenities to go to games. Some people will be upset if seating capacity goes down but it is a new era. People can sit at home and watch every game on an 80 inch screen. You have to compete with that. I know people who won’t go to UT games now because the cell service is so bad inside you can’t send a text or get on the internet

Times change. My first UT game was early 70’s and you could sit on the hill outside of the stadium. Many people were upset when they finished the north end zone. Now people want amenities to go to games. Some people will be upset if seating capacity goes down but it is a new era. People can sit at home and watch every game on an 80 inch screen. You have to compete with that. I know people who won’t go to UT games now because the cell service is so bad inside you can’t send a text or get on the internet

'real' 5G will fix that cell problem quickly (maybe 2-3 years out max)

100,000+ is just a number. Get over it. It might be 1% less noisy without those nosebleeds. The last few seats aren't full but one game a year, if that. Nobody wants to pay those ticket prices to sit in outer space anyway.

My first game was against Penn State - my dad and I couldn’t get tickets and watched from the hill behind the north end zone.

Later, my friends and I tried to watch an Auburn game from the roof of the Physics building but the police turned us away.

I'm not sure what the renovations call for in regards to capacity, but Saturday could be the last time we have the opportunity to put over 100,000 in Neyland. Let's fill it up!
Good, make a lot of sense. Of course the 15 year olds won’t like. reduce to 85,000. The stadium will be full almost all the time. Make students stand in line like they use to.

I agree with most of what your saying. But we made a hell of a noise during the Ole Miss game, our fans are as loud as ever for the big games. Hate reducing capacity though

I'm not sure what the renovations call for in regards to capacity, but Saturday could be the last time we have the opportunity to put over 100,000 in Neyland. Let's fill it up!

you need to get real busy, real quickly if you want to fill it up..

Many thousands of tickets on sale at UT some really, really cheap.

Get Seats!

Reactions: esarmstrong
The stadium has about 30,000 seats that nobody will buy in the current season ticket configuration, that's why White Danny has them down without much of a contribution going forward, it's reality, in the 60s and 70s, Tennessee football averaged one regular season TV appearance and a bowl game appearance, this year every Tennessee game is televised such that many fans have opted out of the declining game day experience, long lines, expensive parking, cramped seats, long lines to the pizzer, ever longer lines to the beer stand, it is a workout in an older facility like Neyland, that has been cobbled togather since the mid 60s, adding seats and amenities that the moneyed crowd are willing to finance.

The upper decks on the north and south ends need to come out and bring the capacity down to 75,000, such that campus parking becomes doable again, the game day experience becomes desired again, beyond the 2 or 3 conference games each year where demand for seating is elevated, the game needs to be a college game, not a replicated NFL game, since Neyland is a tired, inaccessible, antiquated but trusty old venue, not a $2 billion monument to a big corporation, shining with the latest fan amenities and creature comforts.

The college athletic economics are shifting away from the business need for 100,000 seats at the venue, there are many other ways to make money now, the TV contract is generous in dollars, but costs the university millions in unsold and undemanded seats, amplified when the program has been mismanaged since 2010, but there are too many other options for observing Tennessee football now, the least desirable being hunkered down in section OO or PP with a 30 minute line for a lightly chilled beer and a 20 minute wait for the pizzer and thousands of season ticket holders have said no thanks, the den will do just fine.

Last edited:

Neyland has never been full for a Candy Vandy game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, even back when it as only 67,000 capacity. The students will be out of town on Saturday.

100,000+ is just a number. Get over it. It might be 1% less noisy without those nosebleeds. The last few seats aren't full but one game a year, if that. Nobody wants to pay those ticket prices to sit in outer space anyway.

This. The "capacity battle" d measuring contest has been moved on from. In person attendance is shrinking in every major sport and it's probably not stopping, and the conferences care way more about how many people are watching at home because that's more money.

Bottom line is Tennessee can still pack Neyland when they are winning and especially the big games. I have no problem with the stadium being around or close to a hundred thousand with a little better seating. Having said that is would be stupid to go crazy and cut it too much. Our fan base will still put 95-100 thousand easy on the sec games especially when were winning. Big games will pack out. I expect a small downsize but we will always be a big house with a big draw. GBO!!!!

Bottom line is Tennessee can still pack Neyland when they are winning and especially the big games. I have no problem with the stadium being around or close to a hundred thousand with a little better seating. Having said that is would be stupid to go crazy and cut it too much. Our fan base will still put 95-100 thousand easy on the sec games especially when were winning. Big games will pack out. I expect a small downsize but we will always be a big house with a big draw. GBO!!!!
Agree. What used to be more about size and packing in narrow seats with bad amenities has changed to game day experience...in all big time sports. 95K or whatever it will be is still plenty loud enough with vertical construction of Neyland.

Yep…..this is true for better or for worse. I’m home viewing experience and the sheer number of games you can take in(not to mention your own food) make the traditional in game experience a tougher sale

Reactions: Element01
If it wasn't for the fatcats and fat butts we could have nice things like 100k seat stadiums

I’m a proponent of switching out the bleachers for chairs and going down to 80k or so seats for a better in stadium experience.

It’s needs to get bigger not smaller. Cheaper seats up top for families, box seats for our big money crowd and the bottom bowl for our loudest craziest fans.
So you are ignoring stadium attendance trends in every sport around the world? That's interesting

Reactions: goooooovols

VN Store

Back