Game Thread: (16/12) Lady Vols 74 - (12/21) Texas 70

Has Darby even hit rim this year?

Kellie needs a timeout

Last year VolNation questioned the starting of Marta, now they/we/I have our opinions on Tess.
I'm on that boat right now. Yes her defense has gotten better and she was defensively effective against their big guard. But at some point offense needs to click in a game

Last year VolNation questioned the starting of Marta, now they/we/I have our opinions on Tess.
I'm on that boat right now. Yes her defense has gotten better and she was defensively effective against their big guard. But at some point offense needs to click in a game

Game speed really is just a bit fast for her. Tess really needs to work on getting herself open. She doesn’t move into space when her defender isn’t looking. Makes it tough to get her enough time to get her shot off. She has a nice step back, but off the pass she needs more time than an elite defense allows.

Jordan isn’t MJ and I wish she would learn that. Love her confidence. Hate her cockiness

The finest line in sports is the line between confidence and cockiness.
Very few can keep one foot on each side.
Jordan needs to be set free and watched,,,then controlled and restrained if need be.
COach K is using her wisely right now

My apologies to Harper for questioning some of the coaching moves, but the switch to the 2-1-2 defense really helped us get back in the game. Love seeing adjustments.

good perception here,,,this defensive alignment was the difference...The players played it perfectly...they did not cross over into the opponent's side of the court, they made TX come to us and and one step into our side,,,= attack.

Rae being out might be a blessing in disguise because it has made Horston take that leap that everyone always thought she could take, but feared she would not.

If Rae can come back soon enough to get in proper form we should be really good at the end of the year. I hope Rae heals quickly and well because that is one hardworking kid and I would love to see her hard work pay off with some hardware.

well said

Where would you rank this win among the top wins of the Harper era? Taking into consideration we're missing our top scorer in Rae.

I don't know how to rank it but I will say this is the type of game that a coach remembers for a while.
This game was a about two storied programs
and about two head coaches

After going back through this thread I can verify they did not get it from our FAITHFUL or should they be called FATEFUL. As pretty much just a visitor on your board I must say you have more fair weather folks with orange based handles than on the men's sites. By percentage for sure. Kind of funny to go through this stuff on both sites a day after the men's bad start yesterday and this thread. Not many apologize to the players and coaches after the fact either. Funny how it is all about wins and losses until we win...... go figure.

I know I have been told a million times that every fan base has them, but it is still embarrassing knowing the general public can come on this site and read it. Especially fear the impact on recruits and their support folks. I know if I was an opposing coach I would share the address for them to use to see the kind words about our staff and especially our players on this free board.

You must be new here
these aren't just fans here
They're people who question, expect and appreciate.
They are also critical,,,just like every facet in the gold ol world
These posters are fast to applaud with their "way to go's" and just as quick with their "Why'd you do that's?"

Game speed really is just a bit fast for her. Tess really needs to work on getting herself open. She doesn’t move into space when her defender isn’t looking. Makes it tough to get her enough time to get her shot off. She has a nice step back, but off the pass she needs more time than an elite defense allows.
she needs to do more than work on getting open,,,she need to hit the shots. Starting spot?...

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Watched this game late. Really outstanding defensive intensity. A little bit of a lad in 3rd quarter but TX was creating a lot of chances with pressure and Kellie switching to a zone in the 4th was a great adjustment'.

Overall, a really good offensive improvement. TX is a great defensive team and this was by far the LV's best offensive execution of the season.

Tamari brought it today. Dominated the boards and the paint.

Horston again shows that she likes being the #1 option. Seizing the moment in Rae's absence.

Puckett is a smart player. Still adjusting to the speed of the game but she is showing real potential.

Dye is coming on; Jordan Walker really played well.

Beating TX without Rae is impressive.

I don’t see a cockiness…matter of fact I feel she’s too unselfish at times.

I have been saying the same thing. Today she dribbled a little too much which as a competitor i believe she will want to cut down on her own turnovers but the first game i still believe she was trying to go like it was last year with Rennia and Rae and she realized I have to do this.

What an asinine tweet. Not only did they fire that off, they then defended themselves by saying they weren’t talking about Tennessee, but the officials. You’d have to have really poor English comprehension to swallow that nonsense. Their tweet assets a belief in a history of preferential officiating treatment for Tennessee.

Snotty emotional potshots like that are utterly unprofessional for an event that claims to be about helping players gain recognition and exposure.
I honestly still can’t get over that because they put on high level events! That just doesn’t sit right with me.

Wow this is from an exposure event that hosts top recruits no wonder…….

Not surprised. Most of those accounts are run by UCONN or SC fans 🙄🙄.

The game was called tight and Texas never adjusted. They also fouled at very poor times. They continuously fouled on moving screens throughout the game. That ended up getting us several FTs late in the game. The officials made that call all night on off the ball moving screens and Texas never made a change.

They certainly got tagged with a couple questionable calls, but we did as well. Officiating didn’t decide the game. Our ability to defend without fouling did. Texas played great defense but not without fouling excessively.

We also didn’t have an opportunity to foul as much because they were afraid to take the ball in the paint. They shot a ton of jump shots. The only shots they got around the rim were in that third quarter when they beat Tamari down the floor a couple times. We attacked the rim in some way on almost every play so makes sense we got more calls.

Awesome post glv98
Well look at us! When I started posting again as the season started, I really wanted to make an effort not to make it personal or get into pissant stuff with other posters, lol, mostly you Jumper. And I see you are really making that effort also. Thank you for that, and I'm sure the whole board thanks both of us for shutting the F up LOL.
Agree. Two things we know about KJH early season tendencies: 1)she will, understandably, try lots of players and lots of combos, almost treating early games like exhibitions and 2) she falls in love w players in preseason practice who we don't really see the attraction of. Then the breakup is hard for her. Unless she is convinced that Sara plays better off the bench after a little period of observation, there is no conceivable reason Darby starts over her. Sara is getting the most mins tho so it all comes out in the wash.

Last edited:
Need a flopping rule in WCCB Texas in mid-season form phantom flopping for calls. They didn't get many, but they sure were trying hard. We played a terrible third quarter other than that one we were locked in all night. Ten points down not giving up we played even harder and the results was a win.

The reason Burrell is so important to the Tennessee offense is that teams have to spread the court more and that gives players like Dye and Horston more room to operate in their mid-range game. Horston making a lot happen even with the defenses more packed in the paint. Dye finally made some plays her best game thus far. Tess probably starting because of the way she practices, but she has a short leash in games. Nine minutes yesterday as a starter Puckett 35 minutes so Kellie is making the game decisions based on how players are performing not that they are starting.

I did not like that the older female official gave Tamari a hard time about her Jersey being untucked right before she shot two important free throws. Get over it. She talked to her about it for too long and it was distracting.

Tamari’s Jersey comes untucked every time she reaches over her head, which is a lot. This happenes when you’re 6’6’’. That official wouldn’t understand having never risen above a height of 5’2”.

The finest line in sports is the line between confidence and cockiness.
Very few can keep one foot on each side.
Jordan needs to be set free and watched,,,then controlled and restrained if need be.
COach K is using her wisely right now
Very good observation. JH mindset has always been a fragile beast, and now it is again, only in a good way for a change. She has to resist forcing play and feeling pressure to "take over". She has to continue to play under that time worn cliche, let the game come to you. She has such a store of natural talent that she can relax and know she can" take over" when the time is right. Continued good play (and lots of time oncourt instead of sidelines) for Key will help JH a ton. So will improvement from Dye.

Didn't want to say it yesterday and rain on the parade, but JH and Walker combined for 14 turnovers. It is true that last year and every year previous, this would have cost us the game. It's also true that Texas D was awesome, but many of these were just the usual, poor decisions and middle school passing. Somehow we were able to overcome in this game, but obviously, this has to change. JH gonna make 3 or 4 t.o. per game, but it can't be 8 or 11. Same for Walker

VN Store

Back