Mullen fired at Florida

Wow, Florida didn't screw around. No waiting around until their fans are beyond disgusted and disillusioned. No foot dragging through years of mediocrity, satisfied with obvious decline. No waiting until too late to start a haphazard coaching search, then mailing it in with more mediocrity. It almost seems like Florida has an administration in touch with the fanbase.

They never have and never do. They also hire up and comer no names just like we do. There's have been better than ours in modernity.

The PSU fans I know are getting pretty tired of James Franklin.
Why would they be? With the exception of 2020 he's done well. Penn State has lost mostly games they should have lost this year with the exception of the Illinois game.

These expectations from fans in college football these days are a little over the top.

I don't understand why Kiffin is such a hot commodity. He had a great opportunity here and then bolted for USC the moment they came calling. He ended up getting fired at USC. That's two top 15 all time programs he's been at and didn't succeed. If he's smart he will stay at Ole Miss.

They didn't burn couches because he failed at Tennessee. He went to USC to coach at his dream school. He went there before the major NCAA penalties hit. Then, could only recruit 15 players a year, and had a multi-year bowl ban (off the top of my head, that is how I remember it, at least). Still, he managed to recruit more 5 star players than UGA or Alabama do, in their best years. Sure, the results on the field were mediocre, but it is hard to blame him for that, given the restrictions. I think most people get that all wrong. Then, he succeeded at Florida Atlantic and now, is succeeding at Ole Miss. Oh, did I mention his success at Alabama, as OC?

The man can coach, and I think he has learned a lesson or two, over the years. Sure, he hasn't accomplished all that some coaches have, but I believe (as do many others) that the potential is there, in a big way.

It is hard to know what Heupel's ceiling is, but I believe Kiffin's ceiling is as high as it gets. Of course, there is some risk, but lower risk usually means lower reward. I'm not going to be satisfied with 8 or 9 win seasons. I want championships.

Reactions: ddubb76
They didn't burn couches because he failed at Tennessee. He went to USC to coach at his dream school. He went there before the major NCAA penalties hit. Then, could only recruit 15 players a year, and had a multi-year bowl ban (off the top of my head, that is how I remember it, at least). Still, he managed to recruit more 5 star players than UGA or Alabama do, in their best years. Sure, the results on the field were mediocre, but it is hard to blame him for that, given the restrictions. I think most people get that all wrong. Then, he succeeded at Florida Atlantic and now, is succeeding at Ole Miss. Oh, did I mention his success at Alabama, as OC?

The man can coach, and I think he has learned a lesson or two, over the years. Sure, he hasn't accomplished all that some coaches have, but I believe (as do many others) that the potential is there, in a big way.

It is hard to know what Heupel's ceiling is, but I believe Kiffin's ceiling is as high as it gets. Of course, there is some risk, but lower risk usually means lower reward. I'm not going to be satisfied with 8 or 9 win seasons. I want championships.
They didn’t burn couches because a 7-6 season with a butt whippin from Virginia Tech as the cherry on top was the ultimate definition of greatness either. The couch burning was in response to his prickish actions. Someone who was given the opportunity he was given here does not treat this great university the way he did. That’s why they were upset. Once he got to USC, he immediately pissed away a #1 ranking and sputtered to a mediocre session with a fully loaded Pete Carroll built team with every tool in the box needed to win it all, and that was before they suffered a scratch from the sanctions. You can make all the excuses you want for him not to have reached all of this potential that you see in him, but he just isn’t a good CEO type that is needed. He oozes immaturity and always has his ear to the ground for a newer, shinier object. Anybody who hires him WILL get what they deserve, and it won’t be championships.

Also, Mullen gets 6 million in buyout money up front. So, I'd say it's fairly likely he'll be a head coach somewhere in 2022. Maybe Baylor since it seems fairly likely that Aranda will leave.

I really don't understand why James Franklin keeps getting mentioned for head coach openings. Is Penn State not as good of a job as Florida? Penn State should be a top 10 to 15 job in the country.
My guess is that it all centers around him wanting back in the SEC or not. Maybe the flirtation with UT, if it were in fact true, showed he’s not dead set at ending his career at PSU? That’s my only guess, not really based on anything Feldman said.

Have I missed out on they think has caused the team to fall apart so rapidly? They seemed to like the guy last year. Is he just too weird, or did something else happen?

What expectations was he not capable of handling? (aside from beating who you’re supposed to beat)
Beating who you’re supposed to beat goes without saying. Blowing it on the recruiting trail is a big one too. Mullen decided on Emory Jones over Matt Corral. Picture the Gators with Corral under center this year. Do you think we’d be 5-6 with Mullen fired?? All these people talking about Kiffin to Florida. I think he goes to Miami if that job opens. Whoever UF gets better understand that the fans and power players in Gainesville won’t tolerate regression in year 3 or 4, or stupid hijinks that embarrass the school or bring in the NCAA.

Also, Mullen gets 6 million in buyout money up front. So, I'd say it's fairly likely he'll be a head coach somewhere in 2022. Maybe Baylor since it seems fairly likely that Aranda will leave.
Why would Baylor want Mullen. That guy's stock has crashed.

Reactions: KHVol
Florida won 2 sec titles in the 1980s before probation crippled them for a few seasons and had a good run in the 1960s.
No they didn't. They finished first in 1984, 1985 and 1990 but because of NCAA violations could not claim a championship. Their first legitimate championship was 1991.

Mullen will do fine at another gig when given the chance. VirgInia Tech should give him a look if he still has the fire to coach. He is a quirky dude but great coach. He did a superb job at Mississippi State. Texas Tech or Washington might be good fits for Mullen as Virginia Tech likely will not go for a guy on the rebound, but some school will get an experienced top quality coach with Florida paying much of the salary.

Reactions: Carp and Lurker
Dan Mullen and Florida seemed to be the perfect fit on paper: His Florida connection when they were the most successful. Brilliant offensive mind and overachieved like no other at Mississippi State. I really thought this was a match made in heaven.

I think two things happened:
1. Dan got burned out after coaching so long and having to deal with the Florida pressure cooker / recruiting. It happens and he should have taken some time off to recuperate a bit. His recruiting and general effort in coaching fell drastically during the end of last season.
2. Dan let the NFL job get into his head and he removed his leg from the pedal.

Reactions: G8R8U2
Please God, not Freeze or Kiffin, PLEASE. We have had to endure a lot in the last decade or two.

dear-lord-baby-jesus-ricky-bobby.gif

Reactions: Orange Raid
Mullen’s ego got in the way. He thought and acted like Florida was lucky to have him and then began saying things that didn’t endear him to anyone. People have to like their coach for them to be able to last through difficult periods ( ala Scott Frost). Mullen is too unlikeable. He will be unlikeable in his next job too.

Last edited:
Reactions: knox73

VN Store

Back