Mullen fired at Florida

Well this is wrong. You don’t see a team as “just another team” when you’ve only beat them once in the last decade….Or maybe you just accept it, I don’t however.
You don’t accept what?

All I know is that Florida is a Johnny come lately program. Before spurrier they were nothing. I give them credit for having a good run against us, but the out come of our games vs them has more to do with our poor play than their play at all.

LSU might. They like that fast paced offense. You know Danny White is going to be fielding inquiries with all of the openings coming up. Here's to hoping he's solidly committed to building this program back.

I don't think anyone is even going to think of Heupel until he actually has success in the conference.

It's one thing to hire someone from outside the conference, who you think will be successful, and another thing to hire an existing SEC coach who only had a single season to go on.

Last edited:
He won the East last year. And axed the next. Feels like Phil. I hope they stumble in the wilderness for 15 years.
same as when McElwain won the East and was axed during the following season
They didn't wander long enough.

Just announced they are parting ways

Wow. We almost ended up with Mullen too. Let’s hope they don’t get a home run hire
Just got a big ole raise and extension back in the summer. These universities including ours just plain ole stupid!!!! Give it at seasons end if administration is happy with results on the field.

Last edited:
Lol. Ain't nobody coming after Heupel. Yet.

Lol, @ the gatersuck. Feel it, feel that burn in your gut. Feel it and embrace it. I've read most of this thread. Twice.

Florida going through some rough times. .....

H3F_-u.gif

Heupel would be smart to hire Mullen as a defensive coach maybe even co defensive coordinator especially if one ofthe defensive coaches leaves after this year...Mullen is a hell of a recruiter to! It would be a can't miss hire imo!

Reactions: ReelfootVol
Yeah it kind of is. Even at our strongest, we could barely beat UF. Butch should have had a 3-4 year winning streak against them. We were the better team thise years. But we imploded. South Carolina and UK have beaten UF more times than we have in the past 10 years.
Butch was 1-4 against UF. He was also 2-3 against Vandy and had multiple losses to South Carolina and Mizzou as well. He was a poor coach. There’s nothing magical about our lack of success against UF. It’s coaching.

It's one thing to hire someone from outside the conference, who you think will be successful, and another thing to hire an existing SEC coach who only had a single season to go on.

Despite being a big fan of Heupel from the start, I think this assessment is correct. You compare his track record to Pittman, who I don’t think would be a big draw for outside offers from other Power 5 programs (even if he was willing to move).

Pittman (over two years): 2-0 versus Leach, 1-1 versus Kiffen (lost by 1 at Ole Miss this year), victories this year at LSU and versus Texas A&M (at a neutral site).

Heupel (over 4 years): Won at UK. Three years at UCF, he was 0-3 against Top 20 teams.

FWIW I think Heupel will win more games than Pittman over the next 4-5 years. But the resume doesn‘t reflect that yet.

Reactions: BeardedVol
No, but really... imagine going 29-9 in 3 years while going 2-1 in bowls and finishing in the Top 15 all 3 years at a school and turning in a 5-6 season and being fired.

yes, but all the while being paid around $50 million counting the buyout. Plus, he will get another good job, possibly Ole Miss when Lane leaves.

Last edited:
All I know is that Florida is a Johnny come lately program. Before spurrier they were nothing. I give them credit for having a good run against us, but the out come of our games vs them has more to do with our poor play than their play at all.

That's not right, from 1983-1985 Florida had some great teams.
They beat us in 85 as our one loss, but we went on to win the Sugar Bowl.

They did cheat and Spurrier had to pay the price tag.

My guesses as to where to Mullen ends up?

If he really is interested in the NFL, I could see him ending up a “consultant” for one year. Obviously Jacksonville is a possibility. The other place would be New England. The Meyer-Belichick network isn’t as strong as the Saban-Belichick one but it still exists. And it seemed to work for Bielema in finding another job.

if O’Brien leaves, he could end up at Alabama. But I’m not sure his style would well with Bryce Young.

What's amusing to me is trashy Lane Kiffin being talked about as a replacement for Mullen. You can bet the farm he'd visit UF of asked.

Matt Corral's elegibility has expired I believe so.

Kiffin has repeatedly demonstrated he'd leave you in a second of something more interesting came along.

VN Store

Back