Future schedule with SEC expansion

turnuptheVOLtage

Question for my fellow VOLS - Do we think that with the SEC expanding to 16 teams, that this will decrease the amount of FCS/garbage opponents we face each year?

Honestly I don’t see why we play 3-4 of these games every year. I’d like to see our non-conference spots filled with more interesting matchups.

Reactions: onevol74
Question for my fellow VOLS - Do we think that with the SEC expanding to 16 teams, that this will decrease the amount of FCS/garbage opponents we face each year?

Honestly I don’t see why we play 3-4 of these games every year. I’d like to see our non-conference spots filled with more interesting matchups.

Probably a 9 game conference schedule. 3 games for your " 4 team pod", a rivalry game from one team in each of the other 3 pods every year and and three rotating games so that every 3 years you will play every team. For example: SEC North plays SEC East in year 1 (Rival & 3 non-rivals), SEC South in year 2 and SEC West in year 3 ... rinse and repeat.

Playing small schools and paying them keeps football healthy at all Non Power 5 levels. Too many would fold without the cash they get paid.
That is the only reason.

I like the idea of going to 10 SEC games and only paying 1cup cake. We could pay the 1 cup cake the amount we typically would pay for 3 cupcakes. That would leave room for a home and home with another P5.

Reactions: TheDirector
If they go to 4 pods of 4 teams each, will there be a round of playoffs (say A1 vs. B1, and C1 vs. D1), then those two winners play for the conference championship?

Then pair up the remaining 12 teams for the final games of the season.

My preference is still two divisions of 8 teams each.

Nope. SEC will push for 12 teams hoping to get 3-4 teams in CFP. They’ll not do that playing 10 or more tough regular season games.

Take Ky for example, if they’d beat Tennessee, they’d have 10 regular season wins and probably be in top 12 & in a 12 team CFP most likely. But who did they beat this year? A bad Florida & bad LSU were their “marquee” wins.

I don't think any SEC coach or AD wants a tougher schedule. I suspect they're here to stay at least for a good while.

Years ago, the garbage opponents were usually played only twice: Opening day, and Homecoming. With Oklahoma and Texas coming in, I feel like weeding down the charity games back to those two spots is inevitable.

Under the current model, the only reason FCS teams play above their heads to pay the bills. If they can get their own television deals and networks, they would not need to do that anymore, and their players would still get TV exposure.

I saw something earlier that showed FCS teams have won 12 games this year against power 5 team. That is a new record. But look at who those FBS teams are:

Sept. 2 UC Davis 19-17 Tulsa
Sept. 2 Eastern Washington 35-33 (2OT) UNLV
Sept. 3 South Dakota State 42-23 Colorado State
Sept. 4 Holy Cross 38-28 UConn
Sept. 4 Montana 13-7 No. 20 Washington
Sept. 4 East Tennessee State 23-3 Vanderbilt
Sept. 11 Duquesne 28-26 Ohio
Sept. 11 Jacksonville State 20-17 Florida State
Sept. 18 UIW 42-34 Texas State
Sept. 18 Northern Arizona 21-19 Arizona
Nov. 6 Rhode Island 35-22 UMass
Nov. 13 Maine 35-10 UMass

Outside of Montana beating Washington? What is earth shattering? Florida State and Arizona are a mess right now.

So, I agree with you. In order to face off against all of your SEC opponents in a four year period, cutting back on perennial cupcakes, even if they are good every now and again, is in the SEC's best interests.

If they go to 4 pods of 4 teams each, will there be a round of playoffs (say A1 vs. B1, and C1 vs. D1), then those two winners play for the conference championship?

A playoff with 4 pod winners seems like too much.
I would rather see pairs of pods combined to form divisions for a year on a 3 year rotation.
Year 1 - The North and East pods combine to form the North-East division. 7 division games decide the division winner who plays the winner of the South-West division in the SECCG.
Year 2 - The North and South pods combine to form the North-South division and the winner plays the winner of the East-West division.
Year 3 - The North and West pods combine to form the North-West division. Their winner plays the winner of the South-East division.

I don't think any SEC coach or AD wants a tougher schedule. I suspect they're here to stay at least for a good while.

Oh yeah, I am sure they are going to resist it. Especially Vanderbilt. And since they make schedules 3 or 4 years in advance, your good while comment is a given. But just as with Oklahoma and Texas leaving the Big12 for the SEC, things change sooner or later. Since it seems you are taking later, I will bet on sooner.

And hopefully one of those changes will not be gridiron stadiums being onverted into soccer pitches. And if that is ever officially suggested, 10 bucks and a six pack says it will be Vanderbilt who brings it up.

That is the only reason.

I like the idea of going to 10 SEC games and only paying 1cup cake. We could pay the 1 cup cake the amount we typically would pay for 3 cupcakes. That would leave room for a home and home with another P5.
10 SEC games? You gotta be kidding.
Better get ready for 7-5 as a great year.

I like the 4 pod approach because it lets meow teams in the Conference play each other more often. I would like to see all the other 15 teams more often. Seems like the best way to make conference play fair for a change.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
I don't think they're going to pods. Just give everyone 3-4 permanent rivals and then rotate the remaining 12 teams. Tennessee would have bama, UK and vandy for sure. Then the top 2 teams play for the championship. With expanding playoffs it might be worth considering dropping back to 11 regular season games with 8 conference games.

A playoff with 4 pod winners seems like too much.
I would rather see pairs of pods combined to form divisions for a year on a 3 year rotation.
Year 1 - The North and East pods combine to form the North-East division. 7 division games decide the division winner who plays the winner of the South-West division in the SECCG.
Year 2 - The North and South pods combine to form the North-South division and the winner plays the winner of the East-West division.
Year 3 - The North and West pods combine to form the North-West division. Their winner plays the winner of the South-East division.

When I first saw that, I thought you were being silly. But the more I look at it, the more I like it. That might actually work.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
An 8 game all SEC schedule is harder than a 10 game all <fill in any other conference> schedule.

With that said I don’t see how we go to 16 teams and not do at least 9 conference games. 10 would be optimal for a balanced rotation in conference.

VN Store

Back