Mullen fired at Florida

And the media calls Vol fandom unreasonable.

Yes. This is what I’ve never understood. People think Tennessee is so unreasonable firing their coaches when Florida has fired McElwaine and Mullen when they performed better than UT’s coaches, but no one bats an eye at Florida’s decision. Didn’t McElwaine win the East 2 years in a row and UF fired him midway through the season the next year? No one said that was unreasonable at all. Why? Why is UT’s decision to fire their coaches bad for the program but it’s not only perfectly acceptable, but expected for UF to do it?

From a rivalry/storyline standpoint; I would absolutely love for Lane Kiffin to get that job and go full flip to being the heel of Tennessee football. I miss having a Steve Spurrier like arch enemy in Gainesville.

Yes. This is what I’ve never understood. People think Tennessee is so unreasonable firing their coaches when Florida has fired McElwaine and Mullen when they performed better than UT’s coaches, but no one bats an eye at Florida’s decision. Didn’t McElwaine win the East 2 years in a row and UF fired him midway through the season the next year? No one said that was unreasonable at all. Why? Why is UT’s decision to fire their coaches bad for the program but it’s not only perfectly acceptable, but expected for UF to do it?

Apples and oranges. We don't have nothing but national championships on the mind. They do.

One minute you're one play away from beating Bama. The next, you're giving up 42 points to a bad FCS team in the 1st half and getting blown out by South Carolina.

I've never seen a team fall from borderline-elite to hot-garbage so quickly.

I still feel like something had to be going on behind the scenes. Will be interesting to see if more leaks out in the upcoming weeks about the sudden dysfunction.

Yeah especially after winning the East last year. I thought he'd have one more year. There has to be something going on in the background

A ton of big time programs looking for new head coaches this year.
Couple that with a lack of good candidates and this will be a tough hire for Florida.

Would like to say I feel bad for them, but really I hope they play out as the proverbial monkey with a football and are stuck in mediocrity for the next 10 to 20 years 😁
Doesn’t matter how mediocre they get, I am sure we will still find ever new and creative ways to lose to them 😬

Can’t stand Mullen. Glad he’s fired.

I was at a football camp about 5 years ago when he was still at state and he was a freaking jerk. I am going to keep it G rated because this is a public forum. What I really want to say about him I will have leave out. I will never pull for him, ever. I understand you have a high profile job and I am sure that it is stressful, but being a complete @!$% to kids is uncalled for. I hope he can't get a high school job and he has to become Saban's new coffee boy since Lyle left.

Last edited:
From a rivalry/storyline standpoint; I would absolutely love for Lane Kiffin to get that job and go full flip to being the heel of Tennessee football. I miss having a Steve Spurrier like arch enemy in Gainesville.
If kiffin does go to Gainesville, he won’t be there long. He can’t seem to stay in one place more than a couple years.

We struggled to beat Spurrier and Muschamp at UF, but we beat them at USCe.
There is just something about those swamp lizards that causes us to choke .

Yeah especially after winning the East last year. I thought he'd have one more year. There has to be something going on in the background

The good thing is that their current AD is a Mississippi State guy, so he will probably make another Mississippi type hire.

Plus, Gainesville is an absolute slum. Hard to find Uncle Eddie types wanting to live in a trailer.

I put my money on him offering Mike Leach who will turn in down to stay in Starkville which has better infrastructure.

Reactions: kcvols1
Maybe they will have some decommits that we can flip over to us if they fit in with what CJH is trying to do.

I'm looking around the neighborhood, don't see any Gators flags at half mast.

They will go after Mario hard.

Well, bummer. I was hoping they would let him flounder for one more season.

But for the benefit of some... Mullen didn't get a chance to have a full recruiting cycle to get "his own players". He didn't get 4 or 5 years to fix the stench of Muschamp and McElwain.

When top tier, well run SEC Athletic Departments see their football program going in the wrong direction... they don't hesitate. They don't have sympathy. They don't wax nostalgic about that coach's contributions to past success. UF didn't even give credit for him winning the East last year. Top programs recognize when it isn't headed in the right direction and immediately cut bait like UF did.

McElwain won the East 2 years in a row and made some vague references to death threats after they got stomped by UGA and they used that as reasoning to fire him.

Florida fires head coach Jim McElwain

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back