Coach Heupel's first year compared to other first year coaches

GBOplayer

So let's compare Coach Heupel's first year at UT with another first year coach (this is a candidate many wanted and also came from Bama):

Coach Sarkisian: One could say that Coach Sarkisian inherited a much better team and was in a much better situation. Yet Texas will miss the bowl game this year, they have a losing record. There's already talk that he could be on the hot seat next year!

So let's compare Coach Heupel's first year at UT with another first year coach (this is a candidate many wanted and also came from Bama):

Coach Sarkisian: One could say that Coach Sarkisian inherited a much better team and was in a much better situation. Yet Texas will miss the bowl game this year, they have a losing record. There's already talk that he could be on the hot seat next year!

When a coach is at Alabama it's hard to assess him. First off Saban keeps them in line. The Texas coach had some baggage, hopefully, he's moved on from. So just looking at coaches that have been on teams with 4 & 5-star players in the 2 deep it's hard. We had seen Kiffen as an HC and he is a bomb getting ready to go off, rules-wise. Kirby is doing well but he walked into 4 & 5-star players 2 deep. Heck 3 of his QB1 -2 -3 on his 1st team went on to NFL. He's never had to steer a team like Hueple, Drinkwitz, or Beamer who IMO have all exceeded expectations.

Carolina's win over Auburn and Missouri's win over Florida were both outstanding.........makes our blowout wins versus the Tigers and 'Cocks a little more impressive.

Also, Shane Beamer has done a good job at SC given what he’s working with too. You could make an argument that his 2 signature wins in the league are better than Heupel’s.

Shane Beamer has done just about as good of a job as Heupel (though we are a much better overall team). he’s an extremely likable guy so he’s easy to root for (not against the Vols mind you).

Texas had an eight to nine win per year guy. They seem to think they are still in the 2000s. Fools! All of whom are about to get what they deserve.

Reactions: Orange Swagger
The main thing I am really surprised at is that the Hype has completely changed the culture in a single year. The type of offense he runs requires guys to really buy in and know their assignments. After the disaster of where we have been, it is amazing that he has won the locker room so convincingly.

Someone else posted about the differences in coaching styles between CJH and places like Bamma or GA. Encourager vs Old School. I think there is some truth to that and that CJH’s style is more warm and fuzzy for today’s generation. If you are top 5 talent, old school still works great but for everyone else, a softer touch seems to have better results. That may also better explain Pruitt’s success elsewhere and utter failure here.

Also, Shane Beamer has done a good job at SC given what he’s working with too. You could make an argument that his 2 signature wins in the league are better than Heupel’s.
Beating Missouri/Kentucky on the road > beating Florida/Auburn at home. And Heupel destroyed Beamer head to head.

Beating Missouri/Kentucky on the road > beating Florida/Auburn at home. And Heupel destroyed Beamer head to head.

True but South Carolina was in a WORSE position than even Tennessee coming into the season. You have to really rank coaches based on what they inherited. For example, Vandy's coach inherited the worse team so if he had won 6 games, I would put him at #1.

I would but Beamer as having best first year although Heupel is neck and neck with him. Beamer is recruiting better than Heupel right now as well.

I didn’t say they were better or that Beamer was a better coach than Heupel. Sorry, but beating Auburn at home is a better win than Mizzouri on the road. They also beat UF, who wiped the floor with us

I didn’t say they were better or that Beamer was a better coach than Heupel. Sorry, but beating Auburn at home is a better win than Mizzouri on the road. They also beat UF, who wiped the floor with us
I think it’s hard to use Florida as a barometer right now. They’ve quit on Mullen. Samford even scored 52 on them in The Swamp. They peaked in the 2 weeks stretch where they played Bama and Us and then did a nose dive off a cliff.

They played a very different UF team than we did. That team threw in the towel after losing to Kentucky. When we played them they were coming off a close game against Bama. Also, Auburn is garbage. They still can’t even figure out who their best qb is. We’d probably beat the crap out of them if we played them in Neyland next week.

Leadership is a strange and unquantifiable property. There are different manifestations and forms but they all share accountability and an ability to get followers to believe that you can deliver what you are selling. I think after many tries that looked good on paper but failed in practice, we might have finally won the lottery with this one. What he does appears to work. First time in AGES that I saw a UT team complete for 60 minutes in every game they played (so far). He has these kids all in and it shows.

When a coach is at Alabama it's hard to assess him. First off Saban keeps them in line. The Texas coach had some baggage, hopefully, he's moved on from. So just looking at coaches that have been on teams with 4 & 5-star players in the 2 deep it's hard. We had seen Kiffen as an HC and he is a bomb getting ready to go off, rules-wise. Kirby is doing well but he walked into 4 & 5-star players 2 deep. Heck 3 of his QB1 -2 -3 on his 1st team went on to NFL. He's never had to steer a team like Hueple, Drinkwitz, or Beamer who IMO have all exceeded expectations.
Which is exactly why asshat smart should not be coach of the year
I know the best record gets it
But that's not actually coaching
That's just letting talented players be talented

Coaching has little to do with that in georgia case
The 3 you listed had to coach around deficiency to get to at least a respectable level
And CJH had the most obstacles to overcome in doing so

True but South Carolina was in a WORSE position than even Tennessee coming into the season. You have to really rank coaches based on what they inherited. For example, Vandy's coach inherited the worse team so if he had won 6 games, I would put him at #1.

I would but Beamer as having best first year although Heupel is neck and neck with him. Beamer is recruiting better than Heupel right now as well.
Boy how narratives change! Preseason “experts” had us significantly below both SC and Mizzou. Those were tabbed as definite losses and Kentucky was a pipe dream. Anybody piping up on this board (not me) and predicting 8 wins was processed by the “realists”. 😏
1637509986986.gif

Reactions: Alto1 and tarvol73

How were they in a worse position? Did they have an NCAA cloud hanging over them? Did they lose 30+ players to the transfer portal?

They played a very different UF team than we did. That team threw in the towel after losing to Kentucky. When we played them they were coming off a close game against Bama. Also, Auburn is garbage. They still can’t even figure out who their best qb is. We’d probably beat the crap out of them if we played them in Neyland next week.

Auburn has 2 wins over top 25 opponents, one was Ole Miss. Mizzouri has none

I think it’s hard to use Florida as a barometer right now. They’ve quit on Mullen. Samford even scored 52 on them in The Swamp. They peaked in the 2 weeks stretch where they played Bama and Us and then did a nose dive off a cliff.
I want Mullen fired just so that Florida fans are sad. But I’m afraid of who they’ll hire. Thankfully, USC and LSU being available this year (and VT to a lesser extent) means they won’t have their pick.

I want Mullen fired just so that Florida fans are sad. But I’m afraid of who they’ll hire. Thankfully, USC and LSU being available this year (and VT to a lesser extent) means they won’t have their pick.
They probably will not fire him this season....but who knows it is Florida....could happen today....It is apparent they made a mistake....They fire him now and watch the portal. The portal is the biggest factor now in firing coaches.....This should be interesting to watch....Mice on a ship? Dirt coming out into the open? Catch 22. I would use the interim coach method and maybe wait until next year to replace.

I will say one thing for sure, whatever else may come, I actually ENJOY watching Tennessee Football for the first time since Kiffen was here. Every Tennessee game had become an ulcer inducing, anxiety soaked, cringe fest of dread. This year, even in the losses, I have had FUN. It reminds me of why I became a VOLS fan in the first place all those years ago. For that if for nothing else, Heupel and his staff have my total gratitude

It’s kind of a Catch 22. I feel like if Mullen remains he will still find a way to beat us, but recruiting will be awful for them because he’ll be a lame duck coach going into next year. At the same time, a lot of people’s opinions on which is the better job differ between Florida, LSU, USC. To me Florida becomes the best job available and you have to wonder if the $$ would be right would a Kiffin or Lincoln Riley or someone else be interested in taking that job. I would rather Mullen stay and be a borderline decent coach than see them got another elite guy like Urban.

Reactions: GlennTenn

You could argue that but you would be wrong. Among Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, Missouri - none of those teams are as good as Kentucky - SC played hard when we played them, but we rocked them and boat raced them in the first half.

so Kentucky and SC trumps Fla, Auburn this year. Auburn at 6-5 and Florida at 5 -6 are nowhere near an 8 -3 Kentucky. South Carolina is 6 -5 just like Auburn.

You could argue that but you would be wrong. Among Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, Missouri - none of those teams are as good as Kentucky - SC played hard when we played them, but we rocked them and boat raced them in the first half.

so Kentucky and SC trumps Fla, Auburn this year. Auburn at 6-5 and Florida at 5 -6 are nowhere near an 8 -3 Kentucky. South Carolina is 6 -5 just like Auburn.

Eh, agree to disagree

VN Store

Back