Game Thread: Lady Vols 52 - USF 49

I missed the game last night and catching up reading VN this morning. Hmmm, the score was 52-49 on the road after we were down a lot earlier in the game. I call that a BIG WIN. Add into that the injuries to our best players. Folks, can we give our team some love once in a while and chill with the negative comments that DO NOT HELP whatsoever? Probably not but, hey, worth a try. Go Vols! Gol Lady Vols! Thank you Kellie and staff for all your patience and effort. I am praying for some quick recoveries given tough injuries. I believe Kellie knows all about getting back on the hardwood after an injury.

I missed the game last night and catching up reading VN this morning. Hmmm, the score was 52-49 on the road after we were down a lot earlier in the game. I call that a BIG WIN. Add into that the injuries to our best players. Folks, can we give our team some love once in a while and chill with the negative comments that DO NOT HELP whatsoever? Probably not but, hey, worth a try. Go Vols! Gol Lady Vols! Thank you Kellie and staff for all your patience and effort. I am praying for some quick recoveries given tough injuries. I believe Kellie knows all about getting back on the hardwood after an injury.

Love your post, it was a home game though :)

“I think there are some areas that our defense needs to improve,” Harper said. “We can get a little bit smarter, but I think our team is pretty locked in in terms of knowing that’s how we need to play and what we need to rely on. I think we can tweak some things and maybe to allow that to sustain us.

“We’re going to have to score at some point, and we know that. We’re going to have to put some points on the board at some point. Until that happens, hopefully our defense can hang tough.”

“Honestly, I think we’re still adjusting,” Green said. “You know when that much point production comes from one person, other people have to pick it up. I think we’re learning how to do that. You know, we’re seeing who can do that, but I think everybody has the ability to step up on this team. I think even our freshmen, like Kellie said, I don’t think they know that they’re freshmen, because everybody has the ability to step up on this team.

“So, as much as it hurts not being able to see her out there and play with her, I think we’ll be able to pick it up.”

I stand corrected. This is the second time the stats on utsports have mislead me.

Hi, When you look at Box Score, the *’s under GS (game starters), show the players who came on the floor first.

Those 5 players did not get the most minutes in the game. Even though Tess (14 min.) and Alexus (16 min.) started the game, there were 2 others who got more minutes, Sara (25min.) and Miles (31min.).

Really makes for an interesting question, whom are our starters? 🙂

Hi, When you look at Box Score, the *’s under GS (game starters), show the players who came on the floor first.

Those 5 players did not get the most minutes in the game. Even though Tess (14 min.) and Alexus (16 min.) started the game, there were 2 others who got more minutes, Sara (25min.) and Miles (31min.).

Sara started the second half forget if Miles did not not.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Getting ready to watch this game again. You get so much more out of exactly what is happening the second time than the first. Your always to caught up in winning to see exactly has the team is operating.

Gonna watch the game again, too. Looking forward to that high one handed leap for a rebound by Sara in the third quarter. 😀

That's how I'm used to seeing it but I missed the tipoff and the box score I was looking at had a * by Puckett, not Darby. I got it figured out thanks to Rickster. The *'s on that box score indicated who was currently playing, so it was actually who was on the court at the end of the game. Oops

Will say, Kellie’s recruits take care of the basketball so far. What we traded in athleticism from Holly recruits we are getting back in basketball IQ.

Miles and Puckett both play under control and with a high IQ for brand new freshman. 31 and 25 minutes last night respectively and 0 turnovers.
The stats don't bear that out. Current A:TO after 3 games is 0:5. They are averaging 17 turn overs per game.

Miles is averaging 28 minutes per game that is starters minutes whether she starts or not. Has taken only six shots 3 of 6. 6 assists and 3 turnovers. The three turnovers is impressive for 87 minutes of play. Puckett 3 turnovers in 70 minutes, Wynn 4 turnovers in 23 minutes, Striplin 0 turnovers in 6 minutes. So as a group 186 minutes played and 10 turnovers. Shooting the ball 11 of 22 .500 as a group. Not enough to determine how they will shoot when getting more involved in the offense, but thus far as a group hitting 50 percent on a low number of attempts.

Will say, Kellie’s recruits take care of the basketball so far. What we traded in athleticism from Holly recruits we are getting back in basketball IQ.

Miles and Puckett both play under control and with a high IQ for brand new freshman. 31 and 25 minutes last night respectively and 0 turnovers.
All four freshmen as a group. 186 minutes and 10 turnovers. That is 2.3 turnovers per 40 minutes played.

Puckett is 5 for 11 from the field in the first three game that is less than 4 shot attempts a game. Darby is 3 for 17 most of her attempts came in the first two games. She was pulled last night after one attempt and a walk on her second.
So 45 percent for Puckett and 18 percent for Darby. Puckett does other things like strong defense, rebounding, and blocked one shot last night while disrupting a few others. Puckett is 2 for 6 from the three and Darby is 2 for 11. I agree Darby should play off the bench some, but Puckett would be my starter for Burrell until she returns.

If NeedOrange is right and Sara has a break out game with double digit scoring, and maybe even if she doesn’t, with all her other talents such as a presence under the basket, I’d like to see her in the game not instead of Rae, but with her.

Holly was a better coach than this.
Holly had better talent and took the team South, KJH has lesser talent and the team seems in need of an offensive rebuild. Right now the team seems to be good on defense and a bust on offense. Defense wins games but a bad offense makes for a difficult situation. We are missing a lot of easy shots under the basket, since we are bad at the three we simply cannot afford to be bad at layups, free throws and easy shots under the basket. Whatever the cure is, KJH has not figured it out. I love KJH but we cannot afford to give her seven years to figure it out.

VN Store

Back