Tennessee Lady Vol News

Volfan2012, I realize you weren't expecting a re-worked offense, but more of a better-shooting offense. Me too! I hope the shooting improves as the chemistry improves as they adjust to playing without their top scorer. Could take a few more games to get there. Hope not, but it could.
Right people taking more shots and other people taking less. You can look at the shooting percentages and see who that would be to some extent. People still got to take open shots, but working to the better shooters when possible should also be part of the offense and the goal.

I love y Lady Vols but our offense sucks big time. We need a offensive guru to come in and teach us how to shoot from every position on the floor.

Reactions: mcannon1
It doesn't take a coach to teach you how to make a lay-up.
Actually it does, because it is not so simple when you have people fighting you under the boards. You have to learn how to use your body and how to place your body in the right position to make the easy shot. You have to consider the velocity of the shot because if it is too hard or soft you can miss the shot.

Just bc you are a super star at your HS doesn't mean you will be a super star in college. Some top HS players would be at the bottom of the chain in college just saying. Did she play for a TOP tier AAU and dominate ?? Alot of college coaches don't give a crap about what you do in your local pond so to speak its what you do out in the BIG ocean that counts
No knock on tess I like the kid but I think she would make a much bigger impact at the mid major level.

I love y Lady Vols but our offense sucks big time. We need a offensive guru to come in and teach us how to shoot from every position on the floor.

After three regular season games and an exhibition, it's pretty clear the atrocious free throw shooting, missed easy shots, and non-existent three point shooting isn't an aberration.

The irony is everyone was saying how Kellie was going to come here and modernize the offense. I don't think it's too early to say she very well may have assembled the worst offensive team in this program's history -- and that's saying something.

I am 100% certain the players are shooting much, much better in practice. Great, even. So I don't think the coaches need to teach them how to shoot. They already know how to shoot. What they obviously need is the ability to shoot the ball in games without thinking so much about it -- like Rae does.

This team's shooting woes are 100% mental. They appear to need someone to have the hot hand early to get everyone else loose and relaxed and not overly worried about whether anyone is ever going to start making shots.

I've seen many a team like that over the years, and the teams that win championships are the ones with scorers who never fall into that mental trap. Our players could benefit from extensive, very serious shot visualization meditation before games, seeing themselves in their minds' eyes making shot after shot after shot after shot.

That's my theory! :)

I am 100% certain the players are shooting much, much better in practice. Great, even. So I don't think the coaches need to teach them how to shoot. They already know how to shoot. What they obviously need is the ability to shoot the ball in games without thinking so much about it -- like Rae does.

This team's shooting woes are 100% mental. They appear to need someone to have the hot hand early to get everyone else loose and relaxed and not overly worried about whether anyone is ever going to start making shots.

I've seen many a team like that over the years, and the teams that win championships are the ones with scorers who never fall into that mental trap. Our players could benefit from extensive, very serious shot visualization meditation before games, seeing themselves in their minds' eyes making shot after shot after shot after shot.

Mental reps. Can't hurt.

In todays shot training it also deals with the mental aspect as well as the proper way to shoot. Maybe the ball isn’t properly rolling off their fingers, perhaps during games they are unconsciously shooting from the palms of their hands. Sometimes how you shoot in practice can go South in games. It happens at every level of basketball. This would require looking at videos of their shooting technique. Perhaps they are rushing their shots. It could be a lot of things. I would hope the coaches are doing these things. It also might mean changing your offense to reflect the offensive ability of your team.

After three regular season games and an exhibition, it's pretty clear the atrocious free throw shooting, missed easy shots, and non-existent three point shooting isn't an aberration.

The irony is everyone was saying how Kellie was going to come here and modernize the offense. I don't think it's too early to say she very well may have assembled the worst offensive team in this program's history -- and that's saying something.[/

I don’t know if we can simplify the offensive woes based upon the players inability to score, several of KJH’s recruits were outstanding shooters in high school. The major issue may be coming up with an offense which fits your personnel. The freshman and Tess Darby may be putting too much pressure on themselves. With Burrell out of the game the entire team may be pressuring themselves too much. I do not think Dye is performing up to her capability and we are missing too many easy shots under the basket. Free throwing is atrocious. This last game against USF Horston and Key came to life in the 4th quarter and won the game. We need Horston, Key and Dye to be like that from the get. Walker and Miles seem to be good on the dribble drive but seldom seem to do so with any regularity. I think KJH needs to take a serious look at her offensive scheme.

We averaging 49 point a game,will be hard to win rank teams or make NCAA
We just beat 2 NCAA tournament teams from last year that both had their full starting lineups back from last year. What do you mean not make the NCAA tournament? South Florida and Central Florida will both probably be there too.

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):
  • Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of conference
  • Strength of schedule
This is everything that goes into the NET rankings this season. We'll get credit for Burrell being out of games. Hopefully we want have any bad losses that would be any team ranked lower than you.

We averaging 49 point a game,will be hard to win rank teams or make NCAA
At this point, you fail to recognize the two most important stats. First, the LVs are undefeated, 3-0. Second, the LVs opponents are averaging only 46 p.g., while the LVs are averaging 53 p.g. I believe as the season progresses the offense will pick up and the tough defense will maintain. When that happens, this team will be tough for any upcoming opponent.

The irony is everyone was saying how Kellie was going to come here and modernize the offense. I don't think it's too early to say she very well may have assembled the worst offensive team in this program's history -- and that's saying something.
So far can’t dispute this statement but it’s still early and lots of really really bad SEC defenses to come.

Az rode one of the nations best defenses to last years finals, it can be done. Doubt USF scores under 50 again this season.

They play UConn in Bahamas, right? Will be interesting to see how they look in comparison. I don't think UConn's defense is on par with Tennessee's, but their offense is a whole 'nother level.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
They play UConn in Bahamas, right? Will be interesting to see how they look in comparison. I don't think UConn's defense is on par with Tennessee's, but their offense is a whole 'nother level.
UConn has played USF a ton of times while conference mates in the AAC.

The last 10 games.

100-44
100-49
82-53
70-54
63-46
57-47
81-45
67-47
80-39
79-38

Yes, first game for USF in the tourney I think

The defense has been impressive.

Before heaping too much praise on the defense, keep in mind they haven't exactly played against juggernaut offenses. South Florida averaged 65 points a game shooting a blistering 37% from the field last year -- despite playing in a crappy conference. UCF averaged a whopping 57 points on 41% shooting.

If Tennessee had played an opponent with any semblance of an offense in their first three games, they would easily have one or two losses by now...

Before heaping too much praise on the defense, keep in mind they haven't exactly played against juggernaut offenses. South Florida averaged 65 points a game shooting a blistering 37% from the field last year -- despite playing in a crappy conference. UCF averaged a whopping 57 points on 41% shooting.

If Tennessee had played an opponent with any semblance of an offense in their first three games, they would easily have one or two losses by now...
It never fails with you, I swear just admit which team you really cheer for! We win and you still complain about ****! Enjoy the damn ride!

UConn has played USF a ton of times while conference mates in the AAC.

The last 10 games.

100-44
100-49
82-53
70-54
63-46
57-47
81-45
67-47
80-39
79-38
And to think USF was the second best team in that lame conference. 118-0, and bragging about beating up on the cupcakes by 40-50 most nights. Let's make one thing clear here, if Uconn played in a real P5 conference like a PAC, SEC, B10 or even an ACC or B12, that's 20+games per year under different circumstances.
More minutes from starters during regular season. More quality teams that can compete, likely more injuries and more hostile environments. Better competition.
I get Uconn schedules 3-4 quality opponents per year, and always has. But its a whole different thing to get up for 3-4 games than to have to bring it 12-15 times every season. Where does 12-15 come from? Well, schools in P5 conferences schedule difficult games OOC as well, and just as an example, SC this year had NCSU, Stanford, Conn, Md and Duke (watch them this year). Add those 5 to the expected 8-10 conference games that will be legit battles and we aren't talking about only having to be up and "ready" for 3-4 games a year prior to tournaments, and don't get me started on your conference tournament, no competition once again, outside of UConn , prob no NCAA tourney teams in the BE.
Sure Uconn is always one of the best teams in the country. But I think MSU, SC, ARK and AZ have shown them recently what would happen when you play P5 teams on a consistent basis, esp on their home courts....you lose some of them ala Ark last year and at SC 2 years ago. You had to fight tooth and nails @ Tenn last year as well.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back