Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 49 - UCF 41

Terrible two games in a row! Jordan Horston needs to stay far away from playing PG. She should play the the 2 or 3 and leave the ball handling to people who can prevent the urge to go behind the back while being double teamed or insists on no look passes for every pass….11 turnovers? She is a Junior! 11 turnovers?!?!?
Without her it's a loss, you're focusing on her 11 turnovers and I'm focusing on what the game would've looked like if Kellie chose to sit her and we didn't have her 14points, 11 Rebounds, and 3 assist! Find something else to nitpick about because her playing PG isn't the problem (when she plays PG).

Without her it's a loss, you're focusing on her 11 turnovers and I'm focusing on what the game would've looked like if Kellie chose to sit her and we didn't have her 14points, 11 Rebounds, and 3 assist! Find something else to nitpick about because her playing PG isn't the problem (when she plays PG).
Jordan is sometimes a step ahead of her teammates.....

She was the most efficient player on the team with a positive 21. I will take that from any player anytime.

Bottom line, this looks like a team with three mid-major players starting (Darby is a mid-major talent), and another playing significant minutes off the bench...

Exactly what defines a mid-major player? How does a mid-major player differ from a P-5 player? I'm asking because last season the Wooden player of the year award went to a mid-major (not a P-5) player. Last season the Naismith Trophy was awarded to a mid-major (not a P-5) player. Last season the AP player of the year award went to a mid-major (not a P-5) player. Last season the Nancy Lieberman Award went to a mid-major (not a P-5) player. Are you saying that players who are not on P-5 teams aren't any good? Because there are a lot of non-P-5 players that would make this team infinitely better.

Jordan on her 11 To’s

“We knew coming in that they were going to put pressure on us,” Horston said. “They’re the No. 1 defensive team. They’re a well-coached team. I feel like we handled it well. If I were to turn the ball over that many times (a year ago), that would have probably been in my head for the rest of the game.

“My teammates really kept me out of my head this game and I was receptive and kept on playing. Last year, I feel like it would have been a different story for me. I feel like there was some growth. I am going to clean up my mistakes, and I thank my teammates for keeping me in this game.”

Guys, I had to step away from the game and did not see what Horston did, or said...What exactly happened? Did UCF make their foul shots?

Losing Rae has really messed up all phases of our game....Stay strong guys, we're all in this together.
27200748_300x300.jpg

Kellie on Brooklynn Miles:

“She has shown me a lot in her first two games,” Harper said. “This kid is tough. She does not back down to anyone. At one point I am sitting there watching and she’s guarding 94 feet and then she’s breaking the press, and it allows everyone else to play a different role. She was doing all the work.

“Somebody forgot to tell her she was a freshman. Somebody forgot to tell her she was a freshman point guard. She’s giving us what we need. Everybody’s role is different. It doesn’t have to be stat stuffer, but she affects the game.”

She is our best player.
I don't know if she is your best player. She is probably your best athlete. But I don't believe she will reach her potential until she learns to let the game come to her. Most of her turnovers were when she tried to force the action and get a bit hyper. She may have been trying to compensate for Rae's absence. It's not a time to make up for Rae's absence. Instead everybody do your job and some of the shots that would have been Rae's will come to you.

To me, the two best players on the floor were Miles and Puckett. Miles showed a lot of maturity when she would slow things down and set up the offense. She seemed to be the anti-Horsten. Puckett exudes confidence and seems to play with an inner assurance. She seems to defer to the upper classmen when she should be taking a shot. That will last a bit longer then her scoring will go up. Wynn is playing to not make mistakes so she really hasn't done anything. Perhaps she will loosen up a bit.

This is a pretty interesting year. Going to win some while at the same time your future is enfolding in front of you.

Kellie Harper on Tamari Key:

“I thought tonight was going to be tough to get the ball inside to her,” Harper said. “With their size, their athleticism and them playing a zone where they can just sit on her, it made it harder to get her the ball. We’ve got to keep her on the court a little bit more. There are ways that I think we can find her a little bit more vs. some other teams if we play zone again.

“I think there are some things that we could have done differently to get her the ball. The plays that we were trying to run to get her the ball just didn’t materialize. We got a little quick, we got a little anxious with their ball pressure and weren’t able to wait. I think we can make those corrections. We need to get the ball to her on the block.”

Kellie on their next opponent who is ranked:

Harper said Saturday’s practice would be light with free throws, walk-through sets and treatment for players who needs to get their legs under them.

“South Florida is solid,” Harper said. “They’re really intelligent. They’ve got good size, good shooters, good playmakers. Defensively, they don’t give you anything easy. It will be a huge game for us. I hope the two games that we’ve had leading up to this game will give us a little confidence.”

Lots of new faces on this team. Freshman are Freshman. Lighten up on the kids. You people are crazy with expectations. When you think Lady Vols your mind remembers some of the best games you ever saw in the Glory Days. You then immediately compare them to the game you are watching. Two games in to a long season. Just stop.

Coach, he has a point this time..with no Suarez and Rae,Kellie is starting and playing a few players that normally are 5-7 minute players.

No he doesn’t. These ladies play for the University of Tennessee and not a mid major school. It was his intent to insult her by insinuating that she is not good enough to be a Lady Vol. That is trolling players and despicable behavior for someone who is obviously not a fan.

VN Store

Back