Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 59 - Southern Illinois 49

This is why we need Justine and why we need to get Madi Hawk...we were 0 for 9 to start outside the arc and ended 2 for 15,,,0 for 12 through 3 quarters... @GameTime yelled it last year,,,we need players who can hit the 3 ball. I'm agreeing

Thanks Coach....I would love to see Madi popping away with Justine from behind the Demon Line....Your little lady can fill up the net...

Got to have shooters that want to shoot the ball and can fulfill ...Madi and Justine fill that bill...

It looked to me like SI's strategy was to push Key around and get fouls on her, which worked. This is not anything new nor the last this will happen. She just has to control herself. As mentioned by a couple of posters, you use your legs and hips to move people around in the paint, not your arms. Sure coaches teach that.

Man I was really pulling for Rennie to come in there and hit a couple of 3's and be the hero but just lets me know why she doesn't play much. Keep working R.

The importance of the three in basketball is so huge without the three in this game take 8 points away from SIU we win by 18. Or if we make just 4 of the 13 threes, which is only 30 percent, add 12 points to Tennessee. So again we win by 22. The three point shot is the equalizer for some teams and that is what we are going to need to add to our team. The major two factors of why this game was this close is 0 for 13 three point shooting and 9 missed free throws that kept it close. You need a couple physical effective post players, couple consistent three point shooters, and a quick guard you can play with anybody. I think were ok except finding those three point shooters. Plan was going to be Rae and hope someone else stepped up. In this game we had no one that could until late in the game when Walker and Puckett probably our two best candidates to be consistent three point shooters other than Rae came through.

It is way too soon to give up on the team and trash players. We need to see what lessons were learned from last night’s performance. No it doesn’t look like we have 10 players we can run in and out of the lineup, especially if Burrell is not able to play for a significant period of time. We really need to see how the freshmen workout before we give up on them. I was happy to see the ladies upstep their game in the 4th quarter and pull out what would have been a terrible loss.

Guys, I admit I was surprised by the difficulty we had in dispatching SI, they fought all the way....I tip my cap to them.

Yes, I know we had players out of this game for various reasons, but damn, those SI girls were popping the demon ball from all over the place.

It is nice to see BK stepping forward to be counted when someone needed to be counted...Her defense of SI's point guard was textbook...Brilliant.

Puckett finally looked like the shooter/ball player she is suppose to be...Nice arc on the demon ball...

Without Key this team is very ordinary...Her presence is like a brick wall on an interstate....
As pointed out by some brilliant poster's observations, use your legs and less arm to establish post position,especially against a shorter opponent....Too much arm makes you look like the aggressor...

Dye is definitely a major player....Stay healthy young lady.

Darby had a very forgettable game....Keep practicing young lady.

Walker battled all night long....

Green stood tall in the paint....

Stripln looked like a freshmen, enough said about her for now...It will come.

Wynn needs to develop a dependable outside shot to go with her nice lane drives..

Rennie and Emily, I know you guys are trying...Make yourselves valuable in practice.

All good points. I would add that losing your co-PG (and a key cog) presumably not too far from tip-off, can throw a team a seriously out of whack.

Rae going down could have been a death blow on a bad night but the team battled

The Lvs were getting decent shots and, like last year, they can look really impressive when the ball is falling and "woe is us" when it is not. Shooting consistency is something that has to improve for this team to be a real factor in the conference and beyond.

Tess has real range. She will have better nights.

Bk is the kind of super quick, aggressive people have been clamoring for and she is doing fine for a player with two games under her belt.

Wynn is similar athletic, quick guard. Her games seems a less polished than BK but she can be a real, immediate asset on the defensive side. Quick guards have a been a problem for the LVs and BK and Wynn will help mightily in those match=ups.

Side note; Obviously worried about Rae. I watched that replay about 6 times. IT did not look like a typical acl, no odd angle on the plant or twisting on the landing. She planted hard on both legs with a jump stop and then her leg was obviously injured when she jumped. ACLs can be idiosyncratic in their manifestation, but normally when an ACL is torn, the player is down right then and would not complete the jump shot. Also, the trainer did not seem to be doing an ACL check but was working more in the back of her knee. The injury could of course be serious but I am hoping for something like Giannis Antetokounmpo in the NBA playoffs - a bad looking injury that turned out to be a manageable hyperextension and bone bruise.

Last edited:
Your right about her pushing with her arms. I feel she plays too upright and doesn't get lower and use her glutes to get position. That is rarely called a foul in the post.

My observation as well. She often simply does not use an athletic stance to gain position and hold it. She gets pushed around a lot because she's standing flat footed and straight up.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Last night was a good learning experience for the players. They need pressure like that in order to learn how to handle it. Like it or not, fans gotta learn how to deal with close games. The team survived without the majority of their stars. It would have been easy to fold but they persevered.

Watched the game 1 and a half times, and read every single post in this thread. To not have Horston in the game, and then Tamari not in most of the game was bad, but the loss of Rae was a gut punch. You think it was bad for us, how do you think the team felt? All of a sudden, instead of watching Rae score, we had 2 starters and the rest “backups” responsible for making all the plays and winning that game.

Everyone put it together with around 5/6 minutes left in the 4th. Tamari got mad and got good, it was almost like she woke up and realized I have to take over this game. She grabbed rebounds, made a layup, and yes, made free throws. On Sara’s drive, watch Tamari, she backed up her defender and made a path for Sara to the basket a semi could have gone through. It was a beautiful and I might add, well Coached thing to see.

Everyone stepped up and played in a way no one foresaw they would need. Practicing against each other is never like playing against opponents, who play much rougher. Walker and Alexus led the way, Miles put on a show, Sara put up an ice in her veins 3 pointer that gave us the lead in the 4th, and Tamari iced the win. We’re going to have the most experienced Freshmen in the country.

Next games so soon, on Friday in Florida, and Monday back in Knoxville, doesn’t give us any time for adjustments that we need to work on if Rae is still out. Hope she recovers swiftly, for herself, and the team. USF is ranked, but UCF beat USF one game last year, so both of these games will be tough.

With Horston back to pass to Tamari, (fast balls she learned to catch), we should play better, everyone is now battle tested and victorious, and the game was an early wake up call our players answered.

Was I embarrassed last night? No, I was worried, then I was proud.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
We played the Salukis correct ?

Without the three best and most experienced of our starting five. That's the point. Those I mentioned saved the day despite the fact that they are disrespected on this board frequently as sub-par recruits. And a couple of them were mere freshman recruits at that. For those that are always deriding Kellie's recruiting have to admit that her recruits saved the day.

Thanks Coach....I would love to see Madi popping away with Justine from behind the Demon Line....Your little lady can fill up the net...

Got to have shooters that want to shoot the ball and can fulfill ...Madi and Justine fill that bill...
I kept saying Justine reclassify see you in Knoxville this season. I guess that was not possible. One thing I know if Justine takes 13 threes she is going to make at least 4 even on a bad night.

I think it's very concerning almost losing to SIU. If we're having trouble w them...what the heck is the SEC gonna do to us? I certainly don't see a dominant type team this year. SIU isn't even that highly regarded as a mid major. Hopefully just rusty coming out of the gate...but if this is an indication of what this team is....it's gonna be a long...painful season. I hope not...and Go Lady Vols.
It will be a loss if were missing all the players we had missing last night. Of course the freshmen will be better players by then, but any team without their big three is going to be way down from where they would normally play.

Guys, one thing I have noticed, once again all the doom and gloom game posters have vanished, sort of like cockroaches when the lights turn on.

img.gif

All good points. I would add that losing your co-PG (and a key cog) presumably not too far from tip-off, can throw a team a seriously out of whack.

I don't think we are properly recognizing the importance of Jordy to this team. She is a dynamic athlete, one of the few that we have. She makes everyone better on the court. She makes excellent passes, finds the open shooter or post, or the outlet pass on the fast break. She has tremendous speed on the fast break. How many fast break points did we have last night? Few to None? Guess why? Jordy wasn't there, that's why.

She is also a glue player on defense, helping to cover for those who don't make it through a screen, and grabbing boards. She's a leaper, too, and helps protect the rim.

Even though we had Rae playing at a high level in the first half, we were still down to a mid-major team at halftime. Obviously, Key being out most of the time was huge, but Jordy being out was just as huge. This team has a dynamic quality with her in the lineup that is missing whenever she is not on the floor. Miles and Wynn will help with that in time, but they can't yet give us what Jordy does.

It will be a loss if were missing all the players we had missing last night. Of course the freshmen will be better players by then, but any team without their big three is going to be way down from where they would normally play.
I would like to see a South Carolina team without Zia Cooke for half of the game(Rae),Aliyah Boston playing 13 minutes because of fouls (Tamari),Saxton out for the season(Marta Suarez), and also Brea Beal being day to day (Jordan Horston)

I am simulating the Lady Vols injury/foul woes with players in similar positions… so how would South Carolina fare 🧐

Last edited:

Rae going down could have been a death blow on a bad night but the team battled

The Lvs were getting decent shots and, like last year, they can look really impressive when the ball is falling and "woe is us" when it is not. Shooting consistency is something that has to improve for this team to be a real factor in the conference and beyond.

Tess has real range. She will have better nights.

Bk is the kind of super quick, aggressive people have been clamoring for and she is doing fine for a player with two games under her belt.

Wynn is similar athletic, quick guard. Her games seems a less polished than BK but she can be a real, immediate asset on the defensive side. Quick guards have a been a problem for the LVs and BK and Wynn will help mightily in those match=ups.

Side note; Obviously worried about Rae. I watched that replay about 6 times. IT did not look like a typical acl, no odd angle on the plant or twisting on the landing. She planted hard on both legs with a jump stop and then her leg was obviously injured when she jumped. ACLs can be idiosyncratic in their manifestation, but normally when an ACL is torn, the player is down right then and would not complete the jump shot. Also, the trainer did not seem to be doing an ACL check but was working more in the back of her knee. The injury could of course be serious but I am hoping for something like Giannis Antetokounmpo in the NBA playoffs - a bad looking injury that turned out to be a manageable hyperextension and bone bruise.
I pray to God you’re right!🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

Reactions: krichunaka
I don't think we are properly recognizing the importance of Jordy to this team. She is a dynamic athlete, one of the few that we have. She makes everyone better on the court. She makes excellent passes, finds the open shooter or post, or the outlet pass on the fast break. She has tremendous speed on the fast break. How many fast break points did we have last night? Few to None? Guess why? Jordy wasn't there, that's why.

She is also a glue player on defense, helping to cover for those who don't make it through a screen, and grabbing boards. She's a leaper, too, and helps protect the rim.

Even though we had Rae playing at a high level in the first half, we were still down to a mid-major team at halftime. Obviously, Key being out most of the time was huge, but Jordy being out was just as huge. This team has a dynamic quality with her in the lineup that is missing whenever she is not on the floor. Miles and Wynn will help with that in time, but they can't yet give us what Jordy does.
Not to mention her connection with Tamari is like no other Jordan knows how to find Tamari for a good shot

My bad. That was the best performance of any Lady Vol game that I have ever seen. Is that better. Pat would have the names off their jerseys, and banned for the locker room. That was not a good performance in any way shape or form.

Thanks for your considered opinion, Holly.

No word on Rae yet?? This is torture. I'd like to know about Jordan H also. Best case Rae is out a bit, we really need JH.

My reason for visiting today. Hope someone will post a thread when the news comes out.

While we are heated and sometimes hated rivals, any dislike for your team never extends to your players. I hope Rae returns SOON and has an all star season. Prayers.

Wondering about Shavers? I’m not sure on this at all.

I would think in her case she would be allowed to play immediately due to the circumstance. They had a coaching change less than a month before the season and she opted to transfer before they had played any games that counted.

I’m hoping a bit that we might pick her up. I know we were one of her final schools. She’s a freshman, but if Rae is going to be out we’re gonna need some help on the perimeter and she can shoot the ball.
i do not know rules i was talking about players transfering after season starts. maybe someone knows if a player is in the transfer portal before anybody plays a game can they sign after first game?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
i do not know rules i was talking about players transfering after season starts. maybe someone knows if a player is in the transfer portal before anybody plays a game can they sign after first game?

I’m not sure either.

I was commenting on that specific situation. I do think Shavers would be able to play immediately once she chooses a school. They had a coaching change and she entered the portal before the season officially started.

I would get anyone who enters the portal after having already played this season will have to sit. Would have to go back and read the new rules they put out though.

I’m not sure either.

I was commenting on that specific situation. I do think Shavers would be able to play immediately once she chooses a school. They had a coaching change and she entered the portal before the season officially started.

I would get anyone who enters the portal after having already played this season will have to sit. Would have to go back and read the new rules they put out though.
I know that Grad Transfer can move on anytime and be eligible to play at the start of the next quarter think that would be January. I don't know about any others as there is a one time transfer rule which I think is now only effective for after the season to July. Underclassmen that has never transferred or is leaving for some other reason have no idea. To add I don't think Kellie would take any freshmen to play on this years team they could come in and be eligible for next season I'm sure.

VN Store

Back