Can we realistically expect improvement next year?

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
With our expected departures (don’t have a list, but it includes several starters) can we expect this team to take a step forward? Our recruiting hasn’t been great the past 2 cycles (counting the current) and that may change between now and signing day, but I just don’t see anything saying we should expect a large uptick in capability. I think holding our ground should be the expectation, recruit better, and start improving year 3 or 4 at the latest.

Next year starts the whole "CJH needs 3-5 years to get HIS recruits in..." talk.

Then in 4-5 years...at 7-5...we get Gruden Rumors...

Rinse & Repeat...

WELCOME to Tennessee Football in the New Millennium!

eeyore.gif

not much is made of the connection/background of coach Hype and coach Mike Leach. But think about the fact that Leach has never put a QB on the field that did not perform at a high level. Coach Hype has not yet had the history like Leach, but the common thread I think is that they get their receivers to catch the ball! The secret to being a good QB is to have the guys catch the ball you get near their hands! Where do you think this years receivers came from!

I don’t think we can realistically start talking about next year until we know who’s leaving. Let’s be honest, Hooker isn’t on anyones list of QBs who will be a day 1 or 2 draft pick, so his chances of coming back are pretty good if he can. I’m still not certain who’s able to get another year of eligibility.

Reactions: nyvolz
Next year starts the whole "CJH needs 3-5 years to get HIS recruits in..." talk.

Then in 4-5 years...at 7-5...we get Gruden Rumors...

Rinse & Repeat...

WELCOME to Tennessee Football in the New Millennium!

eeyore.gif
I would normally agree with you, but no other coach has hit the ground running like Heupel has in year 1. To end 7-5 or 8-5 is much improved from the previous 3 coaches finished 5-7 in year 1 with arguably more talent and scholarships.

The portal gives us a shot. If we continue beating the teams we should into next season all of a sudden that Florida game is looking winnable. That's one off the checklist that he must start winning to get this ship truly righted. Hopefully Hooker comes back.

I do expect the same. Also, I think we will take at least 3 or 4 JUCO guys. On December signing day, I expect some surprises, some good, some bad. I believe we will flip a couple that no one knows they are still working on. Walter Nolen being snatched from under our noses stung, but we can't let that define us. Besides, it ain't over until the ink dries.

Transfer portal…. The great equalizer. Bet our coaches are already having some players contact players on other teams, who may not be getting first team reps, to encourage them to enter the portal.

We did great with the portal this past season with nothing to offer. I imagine a lot more players will take interest in Tennessee now that there is some momentum.

I hope so but I am not super confident. Hitting the portal and having guys on campus for only a few months before competition is not the best formula. Coach certainly made it work this year but how sustainable is that system?

Even if CJH pulls out a decent recruiting class, its gonna take time for them to develop. I do not have huge expectations for next year, in fact, depending on who comes back and who leaves we may not be as good next year as this year. If HH can return then that is a huge plus and all returners get more time to develop. Another reason that a bowl game is so important for this team. I think fans should realize how awesome the success we have now but realize this will take time. I also have BVS and realize lower expectations lead to less disappointment.

Go Vols!

So long as hooker returns we should be even better on offense next year. Again…he never really got any reps at all as heupel immediately landed on Milton and never really gave anyone else a chance. So seeing hooker play after having had time to develop continuity would be amazing. As for the defense…who knows. We have more talented kids that aren’t playing…I.e. Willis.

With our expected departures (don’t have a list, but it includes several starters) can we expect this team to take a step forward? Our recruiting hasn’t been great the past 2 cycles (counting the current) and that may change between now and signing day, but I just don’t see anything saying we should expect a large uptick in capability. I think holding our ground should be the expectation, recruit better, and start improving year 3 or 4 at the latest.
Keep in mind, improvement is relative to what is happening in our opponent's programs as well as what is happening in ours. With that said, We can reasonably expect improvement. Most of us realize we are in need of depth behind our starters. We should take a step forward in building depth through recruiting, portal, and juco transfers. We are ahead of Vandy and South Carolina who also started new coaches this year. We are ahead of Mizzou, too. We always play well against UK and I am seeing opportunity against UF and LSU next year especially with their turmoil. UGA and Bama are still way ahead of us.

Could this be a 10 win team next year? I think we have the best chance since Butch's peak.

Reactions: LittleVol and sjt18
Keep in mind, improvement is relative to what is happening in our opponent's programs as well as what is happening in ours. With that said, We can reasonably expect improvement. Most of us realize we are in need of depth behind our starters. We should take a step forward in building depth through recruiting, portal, and juco transfers. We are ahead of Vandy and South Carolina who also started new coaches this year. We are ahead of Mizzou, too. We always play well against UK and I am seeing opportunity against UF and LSU next year especially with their turmoil. UGA and Bama are still way ahead of us.

Could this be a 10 win team next year? I think we have the best chance since Butch's peak.
Don’t you mean we have the best chance since Dobbs’ peak?

I hope so but I am not super confident. Hitting the portal and having guys on campus for only a few months before competition is not the best formula. Coach certainly made it work this year but how sustainable is that system?

Even if CJH pulls out a decent recruiting class, its gonna take time for them to develop. I do not have huge expectations for next year, in fact, depending on who comes back and who leaves we may not be as good next year as this year. If HH can return then that is a huge plus and all returners get more time to develop. Another reason that a bowl game is so important for this team. I think fans should realize how awesome the success we have now but realize this will take time. I also have BVS and realize lower expectations lead to less disappointment.

Go Vols!
I say, "Trust the coaches"! The offense has exceeded expectations, and everything considered, I think the defense is much better than I expected. Hooker is the best QB we have had in a long time, just hope he comes back. When you put up so many points in short order it's a lot harder for the opposition to match it, usually with ground it out offenses. I trust these coaches to recruit & the players they do get will be developed, unlike years past.

Reactions: JustFunnN'Orange
This…..Right……Here….🤣🤣🤣🤣. Dude, turn off the worry meter and enjoy today. GBO🍊🍊

Yes, everyone can and should realistically expect improvement in year 2. Whether or not there is or will be improvement or not is debatable. It may not show in the W-L record.

VN Store

Back