Saw this on a GA message board.. Yeesh… is our O-line really this bad?

A lot of 1 step drops have resulted in a lot of sacks. Plus RBs are too small to pick up blitz protection.

Reactions: Vol423
My post from another thread (and I've been saying this for YEARs now...)

Agreed...I STILL think Tennessee is incapable of developing a cohesive and efficient Offensive Line...

Reactions: Vol423
I thought we were actually leading in the being sacked rankings. I'm a bit disappointed. Has been this way all season. Could be a by product of our type of offense or a porous oline. It is what it is. We are still scoring points regardless.

And I can spend about thirty seconds reading obnoxious Georgia fans before I get tired of the useless jibber jabber of how great they are and every Tennessee fan is toothless and was born in the backseat at a truck stop.
I don't mind obnoxious fans. It's what you should expect in the SEC. We have our fair share too.

However, the most openly biased and unprofessional staff writers on 247 Sports are the "Dawg Trio of Trash" - Kipp Adams, Rusty Mansell and Jake Rowe. They are the 3 most pathetic losers on all of 247... and truly, the entire sports-related internet, for that matter. They are collectively inarticulate, repetitive, self-serving, uniformed, boring, lazy, inappropriate, humorless, and stupid.

UT’s OL:

Ranked 126 of 130 in sack rate
Ranked 117 of 130 in standard down sack rate
Ranked 128 of 130 in passing down sack rate

It’s not like we don’t have talent on the line. Wright/Carvin/Mays/Mays are all 4* and 5* guys.

I knew it felt like we give up a lot of sacks, but I didn’t know it was near the worst in the country.
The line is bad, and to a certain extent we have the QB hang in the pocket longer for the deep passes to develop.

UT’s OL:

It’s not like we don’t have talent on the line. Wright/Carvin/Mays/Mays are all 4* and 5* guys.

I knew it felt like we give up a lot of sacks, but I didn’t know it was near the worst in the country.

Well when the other team has the ball for 45 mins, their defense doesn't really get tired.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
UT’s OL:

Think Hooker has been sacked 27 times or more now. Don't know how many we had while Milton was back there.

I thought we were actually leading in the being sacked rankings. I'm a bit disappointed. Has been this way all season. Could be a by product of our type of offense or a porous oline. It is what it is. We are still scoring points regardless.

And I can spend about thirty seconds reading obnoxious Georgia fans before I get tired of the useless jibber jabber of how great they are and every Tennessee fan is toothless and was born in the backseat at a truck stop.
Deliverance was filmed in northern Georgia.

It's a combination of injuries on the OL, poor depth on the OL, poor blitz pick-up by RB's at times, and the allergy that running QB's seem to have to just throwing the ball away when they're in trouble.

What separates a good coach from a great coach is the ability to understand one's shortcomings and, play around them. Let's face it VN, Coach the Hoople continues to prove this every Saturday. In fact, we really are just a couple of plays away from being 7-2 right now. (ESPN would be Piiiiiiissssssed if this were the case, right??) With so much talent evaporated into the portal and the usual # of injuries, he's more like Colonel Potter every Saturday afternoon.

Reactions: kcvols1
UT’s OL:

Still yet, 38.2 ppg.

The stat differential tells me if you keep the lid on big plays, you can strangle our offense quickly.

Easier said than done.

What separates a good coach from a great coach is the ability to understand one's shortcomings and, play around them. Let's face it VN, Coach the Hoople continues to prove this every Saturday. In fact, we really are just a couple of plays away from being 7-2 right now. (ESPN would be Piiiiiiissssssed if this were the case, right??) With so much talent evaporated into the portal and the usual # of injuries, he's more like Colonel Potter every Saturday afternoon.

Jeez, Colonel Potter was the man.

Horse Hockey!!

The Georgia rush is a live instruction reel on how to do it. Saban wishes Bama's executed half as well. Tennessee's coaching staff has to plan for them, design plays and movements to counter their perfection. HH cannot allow himself to be hemmed in. See the D, anticipate the D, adapt and make the plays to get positive yards, advance downfield and score. Yes, the Vols can run on Georgia. Yes, the Vols can complete passes against the Georgia secondary. I believe that these Vols can gain more yards and score more points on Georgia than any team to date. The Big Orange can beat the odds and win this thing. Doing so will require executing at their highest level for all 3,600 seconds of game clock. A little luck will help.

Reactions: mercuryvol
Against Ga, it’ll almost be like nobody is blocking. That’s how bad it’ll be. He’ll have to get rid of the ball almost instantly

Reactions: FallCreekVols
UT’s OL:

Have you looked at the number of sacks that Hooker has taken? He's #2 in the nation in QB rating, but he has taken a ton of sacks. Then, you have to consider that Milton took a number of sacks also in the not-short-enough time that he was the starter. Yes. Our offensive line is truly horrific, continuing a well-established trend of over a decade now.

Think about how good our offense COULD be with a decent OL???? Yeeeesh is right!

Last edited:
UT’s OL:

Yeah, that's a problem....

How about recently? How many sacks have we given up the last two games? Couldn't have been many, especially against KY. Offense on the field for what 15 minutes....

Please explain. Other than Kublanow, I can't think of a single instance
Kublanski was clean, head above the knee and infront of the thigh. LOL

How about recently? How many sacks have we given up the last two games? Couldn't have been many, especially against KY. Offense on the field for what 15 minutes....
5 sacks by Kentucky and 3 by Alabama. Before that, Ole Miss got 5 and South Carolina got 6. I consider that way too many. Just think about how many sacks we would take if our offense actually spent any considerable amount of time between the white lines.

5 sacks by Kentucky and 3 by Alabama. Before that, Ole Miss got 5 and South Carolina got 6. I consider that way too many. Just think about how many sacks we would take if our offense actually spent any considerable amount of time between the white lines.
It's an ugly number; especially when you consider that, against Kentucky, we only dropped back to pass 25 times.

VN Store

Back