Saw this on a GA message board.. Yeesh… is our O-line really this bad?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
UT’s OL:

Ranked 126 of 130 in sack rate
Ranked 117 of 130 in standard down sack rate
Ranked 128 of 130 in passing down sack rate

It’s not like we don’t have talent on the line. Wright/Carvin/Mays/Mays are all 4* and 5* guys.

I knew it felt like we give up a lot of sacks, but I didn’t know it was near the worst in the country.

Quick! Throw it it to the sideline, then that person throw it downfield. Quick! Roll out HH, then throw it downfield.

Reactions: OptimisticFan
As one who listens to the games on radio, I've noticed this season that my "internal clock" alarm goes off really, REALLY quickly as soon as I hear Kesling say, "...drops back to pass..."

I find I'm more surprised now when our qb has time, than when he's flushed out or sacked.

I would love to know (from the coaches) how often it's been from our guys getting physically beat, how often it's been a breakdown in the mental game, and how often it's been a breakdown by the RB.

Last edited:
UT’s OL:

It’s not like we don’t have talent on the line. Wright/Carvin/Mays/Mays are all 4* and 5* guys.

I knew it felt like we give up a lot of sacks, but I didn’t know it was near the worst in the country.

Kentucky sacked us 5 times. SC got 6. Ole Miss got 5. Hopefully Hooker survives Georgia.

And that, my fellow Vols, is how we are discussed on those trash boards. While we have folks in here falling over themselves to praise uga, they do nothing but dump on any opposing team and echo praise back and forth between themselves.

Tennessee's doing a lot of "big pass play" attacking this year to overcome other deficiencies on the roster. Kind of is what it is. Receivers trying to get past the secondary or expose holes in coverage need time - and sometimes that translates into the quarterback getting sacked because he's trying to give the play every last second possible to develop. Feast or famine. Frankly, Tennessee's feasted pretty decently considering.

But anyway, you take those sacks, and then you add in the sacks from mistakes or talent gaps (and Tennessee's got some gaps to fill no doubt), and you get enough sacks to fill Santa's sleigh.

I thought we were actually leading in the being sacked rankings. I'm a bit disappointed. Has been this way all season. Could be a by product of our type of offense or a porous oline. It is what it is. We are still scoring points regardless.

And I can spend about thirty seconds reading obnoxious Georgia fans before I get tired of the useless jibber jabber of how great they are and every Tennessee fan is toothless and was born in the backseat at a truck stop.

Reactions: DonDiego
UT’s OL:

Yes. Heupel has made this offense work with smoke and mirrors. The offensive line is in need of vast improvement next year, especially on the interior.

UT’s OL:

No depth and injuries.

Reactions: Vol524 and volfans1
Yeah to be 4 and 5 star guys, our O Line has a lot to be desired.
In their defense though it has been a year of learning a new and much different offensive system (one that none of them had any idea to play) and the injury bug has struck hard so consistency has been an issue as well.

In the preseason, I wasn't expecting much from the O line based on the attrition and last year's performance.
Guess really the only thing that disappoints me now is that a couple of the guys don't seem to be making the growth progression that other units on the team are making...just my observation.

I thought we were actually leading in the being sacked rankings. I'm a bit disappointed. Has been this way all season. Could be a by product of our type of offense or a porous oline. It is what it is. We are still scoring points regardless.

And I can spend about thirty seconds reading obnoxious Georgia fans before I get tired of the useless jibber jabber of how great they are and every Tennessee fan is toothless and was born in the backseat at a truck stop.

Hey, speaking of truck stops, whatever happened to that Catfish guy? I used to enjoy watching his vids.

Our line isn’t good, but 1 thing HH needs to improve on his is his mental clock/feeling pressure in the pocket. For a guy that’s as fast as he is, rarely does he ever get out of the pocket to extend a play and make a throw.

Reactions: DixieVol
As one who listens to the games on radio, I've noticed this season that my "internal clock" alarm goes off really, REALLY quickly as soon as I hear Kesling say, "...drops back to pass..."

I find I'm more surprised now when our qb has time, than when he's flushed out or sacked.

I would love to know (from the coaches) how often it's been from our guys getting physically beat, and how often it's been a breakdown in the mental game, and how often it's been a breakdown by the RB.
Not having Tiyon has hurt us in pass protection more than we realize.

UT’s OL:

Keep in mind those stats (if correct) are without the starters playin a lot together. Ton of injuries has had a makeshift line most of the season.

UT’s OL:

Good at run blocking though.
18th in rush yards
31st in yards per carry

I think part of the issue with sacks is QB runs that don't go well. That mitigates it a bit, but doesn't totally explain it. Maybe another thing is the TE almost always being on a pass route. IMO Heupels offense is aggressive and sacrificed pass protection for moving the ball downfield.

That isn't to excuse it. It needs to be better.

FTR, UCF was 63rd in sacks allowed last year, out of 127.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back