Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I couldn’t disagree more. Those expectations are way out of line. Even against Div II teams.
May be out of line for you just my expectations not asking you or anyone else to accept them. I know most players can't make 8 wide open layups out of then tries just stating they should be able to do so.

Never wrong to tell the truth since you just stated what I did that they don't have D1 talent. Not having D1 talent certainly is a void they accept and results in the scholarship they are offered. You seem to get offended easily and like to tell other people how to speak or act when you shouldn't worry so much about others and just deal with your own situation whatever that may be.

Please just ignore him. There will never be resolution and every thread just ends up devolving into a poster arguing with him. If we all just don’t respond it’s suddenly no fun for him and he’ll go away for a bit.

Reactions: Lucy
Never wrong to tell the truth since you just stated what I did that they don't have D1 talent. Not having D1 talent certainly is a void they accept and results in the scholarship they are offered. You seem to get offended easily and like to tell other people how to speak or act when you shouldn't worry so much about others and just deal with your own situation whatever that may be.
I don’t need to say a thing about my whatever situation. I am always offended when immature and unhappy “adults” hide behind the anonymity provided here to take cheap shots at 18-22 year olds. No, not having D1 talent is not a void of talent. Perhaps a dictionary would be helpful. As far as reacting to what others say on here that is kind of the point.

So you proved my point. At the beginning of the year they don’t know much.

I didn't prove your point (you didn't make one.) or disagree with you. You asked a question: “My question is exactly how much effort/energy do you think Massey puts into determining number 293 vs 726?”

I offered information to address your question.

At this point in the pre-season the Massey rankings normally reflect pretty accurately how things ended last year. Predictive value increases as a season progresses.

I don’t need to say a thing about my whatever situation. I am always offended when immature and unhappy “adults” hide behind the anonymity provided here to take cheap shots at 18-22 year olds. No, not having D1 talent is not a void of talent. Perhaps a dictionary would be helpful. As far as reacting to what others say on here that is kind of the point.
I'm not hiding when I say they don't have D1 talent because if they had D1 talent they would be playing in D1. Yes not having D1 talent is a void it means you have less than D1 talent. You may have some talent not D1 get it. To say I was announcing something terrible about a player when telling the truth seems to make you and immature and argumentative person. I don't need a Dictionary maybe you do as you don't seem to understand a post about players with no D1 talent not being that great a player. It doesn't mean they are bad people, or don't work hard, or are evil just a fact of their skills.

I see what you mean. I presented my point in the form of a question. So here is my point. I don’t think the available information on lower level teams would necessarily lead to super accurate ratings. The information you provided regarding rankings being based on prior year results was very informative. For a team like GC with a bunch of new players this means early year rankings are even less accurate. Obviously the only way to settle this is a best of five series between GC and FH!😆

Reactions: 1reVOLver
I'm not hiding when I say they don't have D1 talent because if they had D1 talent they would be playing in D1. Yes not having D1 talent is a void it means you have less than D1 talent. You may have some talent not D1 get it. To say I was announcing something terrible about a player when telling the truth seems to make you and immature and argumentative person. I don't need a Dictionary maybe you do as you don't seem to understand a post about players with no D1 talent not being that great a player. It doesn't mean they are bad people, or don't work hard, or are evil just a fact of their skills.
Void means none, zero, nada. It does not mean less than or not as much.

Please just ignore him. There will never be resolution and every thread just ends up devolving into a poster arguing with him. If we all just don’t respond it’s suddenly no fun for him and he’ll go away for a bit.
That seems to be the problem no one can seem to ignore my posts even you.

That seems to be the problem no one can seem to ignore my posts even you.

No, I’m asking you to please just ignore him. I enjoy interacting with you and often respond because we seem to go back and forth well. Going back and forth with BBallNut is just bad for the board.

Trust me, I’ve been the person arguing with him. It’s honestly much better if you just ignore him when he responds to your posts. Just tired of seeing his name every other post in every thread.

No, I’m asking you to please just ignore him. I enjoy interacting with you and often respond because we seem to go back and forth well. Going back and forth with BBallNut is just bad for the board.

Trust me, I’ve been the person arguing with him. It’s honestly much better if you just ignore him when he responds to your posts. Just tired of seeing his name every other post in every thread.
He is hard to ignore but I will work on it.

Reactions: VolBall09
Excited about this game tomorrow! Hopefully it’ll be competitive!
NC State has about the same team back that won at SC last season, but I think SC is better this season much better than last. Their sophomores are juniors and they added a top freshman class and super player from the portal. I still think it will be close called it 73 to 68 SC.

I see what you mean. I presented my point in the form of a question. So here is my point. I don’t think the available information on lower level teams would necessarily lead to super accurate ratings. The information you provided regarding rankings being based on prior year results was very informative. For a team like GC with a bunch of new players this means early year rankings are even less accurate. Obviously the only way to settle this is a best of five series between GC and FH!😆

We agree in part. Prof. Massey agrees with both of us as to early season predictability being low. His program doesn't take into account changes in player or coaching personnel.

That said, his ratings are every bit as accurate for lower and higher rated teams. The relative difference between, say, #4 and #14 should be the same for #204 and #214.

Here's something from his FAQ:

“Ratings are designed to reflect past performance, namely: winning games, winning against good competition, and winning convincingly. As a consequence, the ratings have some ability to predict the outcome of future games.
For many sports, I post predictions of upcoming games and monitor their success. In most cases, I would trust a computer's prediction over a human's. However, while this is often the most popular and entertaining application of computer ratings, it is not my primary purpose.
Predictions are obtained by extrapolating the analyisis of past performance to estimate future performance. Usually, the past is a resasonable indicator of what to expect in the future. However sporting events are to a great extent random, so upsets will occur. Furthermore, computer ratings are ignorant of many important factors such as injury, weather, motivation, and other intangibles. With this in mind, it is not wise to hold unrealistic expectations of the predictions.
The purpose of the Massey rankings is to order teams based on achievement. This objective may occasionally yield some surprising results: for instance having good teams from weak conferences ranked higer than one might expect. This is not to say that such a team is "better" than all teams below it. It is simply being rewarded for its success at winning the games it has played.
It is incorrect to assume that the Massey model is predicting that the higher ranked team should defeat a lower ranked team. Model predictions can be derived from latent variables, and may not agree with the rankings.”. Massey Ratings FAQ

I've found that by January his programs are highly accurate, but not infallible, predictors of matchups between any two teams. Early in a season his ratings are generally useful indicators of direction and relative strength, but not better than the educated opinions of serious fans.

I will make the conn fans happy, I think they might go undefeated in the regular season, maybe one loss. I think Geno still does not win it all though, conn has lost the mystique, it’s been what, 5-6 years?

NC State better box out and make shots or this will get ugly quick.
Last year NC State used an interesting tactic vs USC to limit their transition game, as soon as NCSU took a shot, they had 3 players retreat to the defensive side immediately to prevent fast breaks. It worked.

Wonder if they try that again?

Reactions: krichunaka

Everyone needs to ignore him. He is a trouble maker and just wants to argue.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back