When our quarterbacks transfer from UT, they do not have football success.

When Tyler Bray was here, he played all the way through his college career and went into the league. So did Dobbs. They started at UT and then were on NFL squads long enough to make money that anyone would call a financial success. Since those guys, we have not had a starting QB play out his whole career at UT. (Arguably, Worley did, but he got injured and didn't finish his senior season.) The QBs who transferred out from UT usually did not have success:

Nathan Peterman -- the EXCEPTION: he was good at Pitt, drafted by Bills, and is still getting paid to play football
Quinten Dormady -- played for Houston and Central Michigan, no pro career
Jarrett Gurarantano -- terrible at Wazzu, will not even be sniffed by the NFL
J.T. Shrout -- was playing well at Colorado, long-term effects of his injury remain to be seen
Brian Maurer -- nobody wants him or he chose to get out of CFB
Harrison Bailey -- TBD

What's my point? What's my "agenda"? None. I'm just stating these facts to see if anybody on VN wants to comment on it.

EDIT: Diderot's Ghost reminded me about Riley Ferguson. He was successful at Memphis. Did not have a pro football career.

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfullVol
When Tyler Bray was here, he played all the way through his college career and went into the league. So did Dobbs. They started at UT and then were on NFL squads long enough to make money that anyone would call a financial success. Since those guys, we have not had a starting QB play out his whole career at UT. (Arguably, Worley did, but he got injured and didn't finish his senior season.) The QBs who transferred out from UT usually did not have success:

Nathan Peterman -- the EXCEPTION: he was good at Pitt, drafted by Bills, and is still getting paid to play football
J.T. Shrout -- was playing well at Colorado, long-term effects of his injury remain to be seen
Harrison Bailey -- TBD

What's my point? What's my "agenda"? None. I'm just stating these facts to see if anybody on VN wants to comment on it.
Of course there have been others. Brandon Stewart had a decent career at A&M. Of course, how you define success matters but, like anything in life, it’s a mixed bag of results. Some excel, some stink, most fall between.

Harrison Bailey -- TBD

Maurer has a place to go he can't go there till next year he can't get on campus till a certain time.

Of course there have been others. Brandon Stewart had a decent career at A&M. Of course, how you define success matters but, like anything in life, it’s a mixed bag of results. Some excel, some stink, most fall between.

I was mostly thinking of the recent situation when transferring became easier. Branndon Stewart was here in 1994. But yes, back in the leather helmet days, some guys might have transferred with success. :)

It's what Maurer said. He made a mistake and he can't take it back wishes he was still at Tennessee but he can't and is still a vfl and he said he has a school picked but he wasn't going to say yet.

Though that's not super-solid info just yet, thanks for the reminder. It does suggest that he's still looking to be in CFB.

Harrison Bailey -- TBD

Go through all the UT QBs since the T formation was put into place on The Hill and you'll find pretty much the same thing with two exceptions, Heath Shuler and Peyton Manning. With Shuler, he was one of the biggest busts ever drafted out of Tennessee, your point?

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Go through all the UT QBs since the T formation was put into place on The Hill and you'll find pretty much the same thing with two exceptions, Heath Shuler and Peyton Manning. With Shuler, he was one of the biggest busts ever drafted out of Tennessee, your point?

Sometimes the journey itself is the point, my friend.

Riley Ferguson didn't go to the NFL, but he was solid at Memphis. AJ Suggs started for Georgia Tech. BJ Coleman is UTC's favorite son.

Of course we can always remember the QBs who committed and new coaches ran off: like Bryce Petty, and Tajh Boyd. I'll give Dooley and Butch an ounce of credit. They honored the scholarships in place when they got the job.

Reactions: VOLnBama01

Harrison Bailey -- TBD

I mean ... 3 out of 6 of those haven't had a shot yet, so a bit premature. Maurer has had offers, but he's not going to announce yet. And you forgot Riley Ferguson who was successful at Memphis. So 2 out of 4 were successful, and Dormady started at CMU so he wasn't a complete bust either.

JG seems like a bit of an outlier to me. I know we joke around calling him a great "practice QB", but it is completely true. JG looks like a top QB in practice, but once things speed up to actual game speed, he just can't hack it. Wish he'd had more success, but it is what it is.

Reactions: volinthenorth
Bobby Scott was a damn good QB. Tony Robinson was a damn good QB. Casey Clausen was a damn good QB

Could have looked worse….Chris Simms almost came here—and no telling how many more who ended up at other places failing to fulfill their potential and meet fans’ expectations.

Riley Ferguson didn't go to the NFL, but he was solid at Memphis. AJ Suggs started for Georgia Tech. BJ Coleman is UTC's favorite son.

Of course we can always remember the QBs who committed and new coaches ran off: like Bryce Petty, and Tajh Boyd. I'll give Dooley and Butch an ounce of credit. They honored the scholarships in place when they got the job.
Well done! I knew there were more but I was coming up blank this morning. Ferguson did very well at Memphis. Coleman did get drafted if I recall correctly. From UTC that’s impressive.

Reactions: perico
Many just were not that good to begin with and were probably not NFL potential regardless of coach or school. Can’t say the OP is accurate in the assessment.

VN Store

Back