Tennessee QB Harrison Bailey enters NCAA transfer portal

LOL man some of you guys SMH
Doing nothing in the NFL but making money and joined the NFL club that not many get to say they're a part of but yeah

getting almost all of your starting QB’s into the NFL isn’t successful…….don’t you know this?

I’m with you…….man some of these folks.

getting almost all of your starting QB’s into the NFL isn’t successful…….don’t you know this?

I’m with you…….man some of these folks.
I think Covid may have some other symptoms that's yet to be diagnosed LOL
Talk about goal post moving.
At least you backed up your statements...

Reactions: JoAllan
Lol

you got to be kidding me.

You understand Heupel is no longer their coach right…….he doesn’t hold their hand throughout their career……..you understand this right.

You also understand that all of them except one went on to see the NFL……..that’s almost perfect success.

Heck 9 of his 12 years Heupel had a QB which was drafted 4th round or higher.

Now your actually going to try and say that isn’t successful………you still going to try to stand by your “opinion” that Heupel is no better at QB evaluation than Pruitt.

heck I also provided facts……..and YOU made the claim….not me.

And you have yet to back up your own argument.

He’s been a head coach that long? I view success as getting Jonathan Crompton drafted even though he’s just as less than mediocre as the ones you mentioned.

He’s been a head coach that long? I view success as getting Jonathan Crompton drafted even though he’s just as less than mediocre as the ones you mentioned.

AND

But if you want to…….did he “continue” to do it on a consistent basis?

Heupel has.

Again you cannot refute facts.

Also again you have YET to substantiate your baseless claims.

All the information was provided in my post……simply read.

Heupel has been a QB coach, and/or an OC/QB coach since 2006 then in 2018 he became a head coach. As a head coach his QB’s are still playing.

Also your still simply using your own opinion……”I view success” you say……that’s fine……but hay substantiate something…..not just “I think.”

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna
How did you make the evaluation that an undeveloped 5-star QB recruit with ridiculously impressive stats - sucks worse than Milton?

Gee............maybe the fact he has been here for two years and has virtually never seen the field to show off that great 5-star high school talent in all that time. And if he was a 5 star in practice here do you think UT would bench him and start guys like JG and Milton over him? Nice try.

AND

But if you want to…….did he “continue” to do it on a consistent basis?

Heupel has.

Again you cannot refute facts.

Also again you have YET to substantiate your baseless claims.

All the information was provided in my post……simply read.

Heupel has been a QB coach, and/or an OC/QB coach since 2006 then in 2018 he became a head coach. As a head coach his QB’s are still playing.

Lol. I’m not even sure what you’re trying to prove. I suppose players are completely talentless until Joshy gets hold of them. Then he can push out mediocre qbs who looked better in college than what they actually are otherwise they would actually play in the NFL. Guess their success was only as good as the “system”. Apparently a system where all of a sudden you have to be an average runner.

Lol. I’m not even sure what you’re trying to prove. I suppose players are completely talentless until Joshy gets hold of them. Then he can push out mediocre qbs who looked better in college than what they actually are otherwise they would actually play in the NFL. Guess their success was only as good as the “system”. Apparently a system where all of a sudden you have to be an average runner.

I’m not trying to prove anything.

I commented on a post. The poster stated that Heupel is no better at evaluating QB’s than Pruitt.

I disputed that claim. I provided basic examples……

Then YOU said show us some successful examples.

I stated I really didn’t “need” to because I wasn’t the person making the “claim.”…….however I did anyway.

I provided all the years of his coaching and his QB’s as examples……..and somehow that didn’t “suite” you.

you don’t have a clue what your talking about. You wanted examples…….I proved them. You didn’t say anything whatsoever about system or anything…….you simply said to “proved the examples”…….and I DID.

f you want to jump onboard from me commenting on someone else’s post…..that’s no problem……..however maybe know what the “argument” was about………as it was about Heupel being no better than Pruitt at QB evaluation.

You may be right IF Hooker continues to develop at this pace and demonstrates more upside potential.

If OTOH he maxes out where he is now I think a next level QB could absolutely come in and challenge for the job next year. Just my .02.
think about what you are saying though. next level qb? Hooker is one of the best in the US right now. 1. anyone better is starting where they are. 2. did i mention one of the best in the US? 3. if we were 6-2 he'd be a heisman candidate.

1vol8 says there was an incident and staying wasn't a real option.

Just working off the public message from both sides though... had Maurer just showed some maturity and kept his head then he would be 3rd right now behind a #2 with A LOT of problems.

He and HB both played it wrong IMO. There were no good reasons not to finish the season and see what opportunities came up.
I def agree.

Heupel got lucky that Joe Milton got hurt. He’s really no better than Pruitt at evaluating qb’s, he probably still would be trotting Milton out there.
how do we know Heupel wasn't planning on playing both at some point or even opening the comp back up after the pitt game?

Reactions: JoAllan
Gee............maybe the fact he has been here for two years and has virtually never seen the field to show off that great 5-star high school talent in all that time. And if he was a 5 star in practice here do you think UT would bench him and start guys like JG and Milton over him? Nice try.
Another Circular Argument. "HB wasn't good enough to have been given a chance develop, because he was not given a chance to develop in two years, because the coaches didn't give him a chance to develop, so he must not be good enough to be given a chance to see the field much because the coaches didn't think he should be given a chance to develop and didn't give him a chance, therefore HB was not good enough to develop........" Great stuff. Powerful.

Last edited:
Brian Maurer, Hendon hooker and Joe Milton are all superior quarterbacks to Bailey. Bailey had the weakest arm of any scholarship qb since the day he stepped on campus. He wasn’t particularly accurate on any pass over 5 yards, and he had a really slow release. If you don’t have a great arm, and you can’t run, you better be really accurate or you won’t play at the d-1 level. Bailey is just not that good.

He is still a young player with very little coaching last year. He is accurate, on short to medium throws. We saw that last year in limited playing time against good teams. We didn’t see if he could throw long, because the previous staff was scared to throw vertically down the field. He will mature and get stronger because he is only 19 years old. To say he isn’t good is incorrect. Maybe not good at this time would be correct. I still say he eventually starts at a D1 school. Doubt he would ever start in the type offense CJH runs. Leave or stay, it didn’t matter to me. I just hope every FR and SO on the team doesn’t leave because they have fans saying they are never gonna start.

That's neat! You blindly accept the evaluation of those who placed Guarantano #1 and Milton #1 ahead of Hooker and an untested 5-star prospect. Why? Because (1) 'trusted sources' told you what to think and (2) those who question the wisdom are weirdo's in a cult?
Why would we trust our own eyes, reason and the critical data points, when we have you and your trusted sources telling us 'gullible cultists' what we should believe? Good grief son.

You shouldnt trust your own eyes if you think/thought HB was a viable option at this point. Really you shouldnt...

It is nothing short of ridiculous that a 3rd string qb has been able to build a cult following like HB has. Not that he tried to sre wanted it but still its crazy.

I wonder if any other fanbase does this? The back up 2nd stringer is often elevated in the fans minds when a team is performing poorly. But the 3rd stringer?

Lord, the people who hate Heupel can really make some terrible and stupid arguments.

In addition to getting those QBs to the NFL, far more importantly, look at their college career. He's coached a Heisman winner in Bradford. He coached the #3 passing QB in CFB history in Jones who threw for almost 17,000 yards at Oklahoma. He coached the SEC record holder for passing TDs in a season at Missouri and two of the best individual seasons in school history at UCF for QBs, one of whom was a freshman.

Now through a few starts Hooker is ranked #3 in the nation in passing efficiency, top 12 in QBR, top 15 in TDs, top 10 in fewest ints. He's completing 67 percent of his passes in SEC road games. He also has 416 yards rushing and 4 tds on the ground in 6.5 games and he just went on the road to Tuscaloosa and threw for 282 yards and 3 touchdowns against Alabama. It was the most yards we've had passing vs Alabama in the entire Saban era from 2007-2020 and the most yards we've had at Alabama since Peyton Manning played. Clausen was close with 278 in 2001.

Lord, the people who hate Heupel can really make some terrible and stupid arguments.

In addition to getting those QBs to the NFL, far more importantly, look at their college career. He's coached a Heisman winner in Bradford. He coached the #3 passing QB in CFB history in Jones who threw for almost 17,000 yards at Oklahoma. He coached the SEC record holder for passing TDs in a season at Missouri and two of the best individual seasons in school history at UCF for QBs, one of whom was a freshman.

Now through a few starts Hooker is ranked #3 in the nation in passing efficiency, top 12 in QBR, top 15 in TDs, top 10 in fewest ints. He's completing 67 percent of his passes in SEC road games. He also has 416 yards rushing and 4 tds on the ground in 6.5 games and he just went on the road to Tuscaloosa and threw for 282 yards and 3 touchdowns against Alabama. It was the most yards we've had passing vs Alabama in the entire Saban era from 2007-2020 and the most yards we've had at Alabama since Peyton Manning played. Clausen was close with 278 in 2001.

Great post. Yes Hooker has been “money” but he’s NOT an “elite” QB. Heupel has turned him into one. If Hooker continues to develop at this rate he just might turn into the elite QB we need. All I know is our QB room will be LIT in 2 years.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Not the point. The point is that Georgia already has four 5 star QBs either on the roster or committed for next year. How is he going to beat out all that talent if he can’t beat out a far less deep qb room at UT?

Hey I said our LUCK!! Not the reality of the situation!!

It's amusing how some of you use the benefit of hindsight to judge the staff picking Milton over Hooker when most around here thought they both sucked early on. Bailey will end up like the vast majority of guys who go into the portal that pissed away the best opportunity they ever had.
The vast majority of guys I would agree never do anything. Just like the guy "Milton" that transferred here. Our coaching staff licked its chops so did the media clowns. Truth is, he is and has always been a sub 50% passer and is afraid of contact. Anyone who watched his film knows you dont change a guy that bad in 10 to 12 fall practices. I love the job Heupel has done to this point. But the reality is he slowed the development of Hooker, Bailey and Maurer by going to the wishing well. Coaches make mistakes but if Hooker is ready to go for Pitt we likely win that game. You also don't see guys dropping passes and when they get behind someone he gets the job done more times than not.

Im typing slow so may this will help you remember/understand.

Harrison Bailey was NOT a 5 star HS QB. Exactly one service rated him a 5 star while most others rated him a 4 star. So my assumption that you and others have been crushing like middle school girls is at least understandable i would think.

You take one data point and brandish about like its the only data point that matters. All the while ignoring all the other more important data sets. Data like

- two coaching staffs deemed him not ready
- both of said staffs have reknown and trusted qb experts
-your own eyes, which should have told you he wasnt ready ( his spring game stats against walk ons completely fooled some it seems)
-multiple reports from trusted sources out of Fall Camp saying he was a distant third or fourth.

All i can.say is its a sad day when people care more for a player than the team. HB didnt set the precedent for this for sure although he is the only college player im aware of that has some created this type of cult following.

Our very own Peyton Manning had that effect in the pros. How many Colts jerseys were snapped up when he landed in Indy? THEN all those new Colts fans had to go buy them a new Broncos jersey...nothing wrong with it but i thought it fumny when i would see a Broncos jersey at a bar and the person would be offended when i asked if they were a Broncos fan or a Peyton fan

Hmmm

Maybe PM is to blame for this cultural shift on non-team fans of teams.

Anyhow, bottom line is..HB was not ready and may never be even though one time this one guy said he was a 5 star.

I've been saying that since Peyton graduated. That's not a knock on Manning, who is the best ambassador this program could ever have and one of the greatest to ever play the game.

The problem is that ever since he left, everyone gets compared to him. Fulmer was guilty of this, always talking about Clausen or whoever reminding him of Peyton. Manning was a generational player 25 years ago. The game is so different now than it was when he played. Yes, you can still conceivably win with that style of QB, but you have to be so stacked at every single position so it negates the benefits a more mobile QB provides.

The thing is that Peyton did everything right, while Tyler Bray chucked beer bottles at cars. Nobody will ever live up to the example that Manning set here and it's been a burden on the QBs. A large portion of the fan base is still waiting on the 2nd Coming of Manning to lead us back from the wilderness.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

VN Store

Back