Josh Heupel Press Conference (10.27.21)

Sara Clark

** Heupel: Cedric Tillman plays with great confidence because he understands what he’s doing at the highest level.

** Just based off numbers, this is the thinnest team I’ve been a part of. It is what it is, and you’re either good enough or you’re not when you walk out on the field on Saturday.

** I’ve got great belief in Jimmy Calloway as a player. Velus Jones Jr. sliding inside is one of the reasons Calloway hasn’t had as much of an opportunity recently.

** Defensively, particularly on third-and-long, we’ve got to get off the field. We need to be able to push the pocket and still have integrity in our rush lanes.

** It’s important that we get a bunch of guys healthy this week. A little bit more good-on-good work, and then a little bit of Kentucky prep, too.

** We’ve gotten great feedback from players in recruiting. They see the brand of football we’re playing. It’s an exciting brand of football in all three phases. The atmosphere inside Neyland Stadium is a big part of the push we’ve been able to make in recruiting.

** The product is starting to sell itself,” and there’s a ton of excitement from recruits. It’s an entirely different feel selling something they can see as opposed to something we did at a previous school.

** Hendon Hooker is a great example of a guy who comes in, buys into the culture. I think his production speaks to Hendon and what we’re able to do with the QB to put him in position to be successful.

** I think Kamal Hadden has a really high ceiling. He’s going to continue to grow. He’s had some nagging injuries, and he just started to get healthier and is playing at a high level. It’s a great lesson for a lot of players. You don’t know when your time is going to come.

Last edited:

** Heupel: Cedric Tillman plays with great confidence because he understands what he’s doing at the highest level.

** Just based off numbers, this is the thinnest team I’ve been a part of. It is what it is, and you’re either good enough or you’re not when you walk out on the field on Saturday.

** I’ve got great belief in Jimmy Calloway as a player. Velus Jones Jr. sliding inside is one of the reasons Calloway hasn’t had as much of an opportunity recently.

** Defensively, particularly on third-and-long, we’ve got to get off the field. We need to be able to push the pocket and still have integrity in our rush lanes.

** It’s important that we get a bunch of guys healthy this week. A little bit more good-on-good work, and then a little bit of Kentucky prep, too.

** We’ve gotten great feedback from players in recruiting. They see the brand of football we’re playing. It’s an exciting brand of football in all three phases. The atmosphere inside Neyland Stadium is a big part of the push we’ve been able to make in recruiting.

** The product is starting to sell itself,” and there’s a ton of excitement from recruits. It’s an entirely different feel selling something they can see as opposed to something we did at a previous school.

** Hendon Hooker is a great example of a guy who comes in, buys into the culture. I think his production speaks to Hendon and what we’re able to do with the QB to put him in position to be successful.

** I think Kamal Hadden has a really high ceiling. He’s going to continue to grow. He’s had some nagging injuries, and he just started to get healthier and is playing at a high level. It’s a great lesson for a lot of players. You don’t know when your time is going to come.

Thank you for posting and summarizing, Sara. Much appreciated!

"The atmosphere inside Neyland Stadium is a big part of the push we’ve been able to make in recruiting"...........&......."The product is starting to sell itself,.......It’s an entirely different feel selling something they can see as opposed to something we did at a previous school".

Those segments mean A LOT. When you ask yourself what success might look like in getting back to competitive football, these are on the list somewhere, if not close to the top. Nice to see them reappear. You have to recruit well, AND it has to show up on Saturdays in terms of the on-field performance. They've certainly been doing the latter.

It's also proven that our great fans CAN and DID make a big impact on our recruits.

Neyland being checkered showing all its glory and so many great fans for the Vol walk and being so engaged and LOUD the entire game proved that our fans are footVol smart and really love our footVol program.

If our great fans will keep showing up and will keep a positive attitude during the tough times and will help our players and coached recruit then things WILL get better much faster.

VFL...GBO!!!

Thank you for this!

Reactions: Sara Clark
The key words.....
Attending the Wee Little Nicky Coaching Rehabilitation Program helped season him quite a bit. After being left on the tarmac at USCw and leaving UT in the middle of the night I really thought his days as a HC were over. I was wrong, I am still glad he is now in Oxford and not Knoxville. I believe nobody with a say at UT would ever allow that to happen.

Is it just me, or is there actual substance in his press conferences unlike the his last two predecessors?

It's also nice to see some praise of players.

I love the way he sets his expectations by praising the players who meet his standard. He clearly avoids tearing those down who do not. From what I’ve seen so far, he is the strongest leader we’ve had in the top job since I can remember. I can see why players respect him and buy in.

Reactions: MaTaLa and PA Vol

VN Store

Back