3rd and 15

PawPawVol69

Heupel’s year one Vols run out of steam (and bodies) in Tuscaloosa

24-31, Hendon Hooker --> Cedric Tillman 70+ yards to the house just happened on the previous drive, 12:55 left in the 4th, Bama is 3rd and 15 at their own 20, and Bama converts on a deep pass.. and the rest is history. Per usual, there have been some heartbreaking plays this year vs Pitt and Ole Miss, but this one stung a lot given what could have happened if UT prevents the deep pass and gets the ball back with a chance to tie in Tuscaloosa.

At this point it has been discussed on multiple forums, but how exciting it will be for this team to have depth and be able to hang with the nation's best for 60 minutes.
Just some thoughts on this Knoxville Monday. I am already super excited about the opportunity at Kentucky!

Go Vols!

I haven't seen a game where UT legitimately played Bama close honestly since 2009.

In 2016 we had a much deeper and far more talented team and it never felt close. This felt close. We were giving and taking body shots but a team that has played at a high level for going on 15 years now simply prevailed late in the game against an exhausted roster... not to mention fighting uphill on the road against said high level team as well as the refs.

I'm proud of them.

Heupel’s year one Vols run out of steam (and bodies) in Tuscaloosa

24-31, Hendon Hooker --> Cedric Tillman 70+ yards to the house just happened on the previous drive, 12:55 left in the 4th, Bama is 3rd and 15 at their own 20, and Bama converts on a deep pass.. and the rest is history. Per usual, there have been some heartbreaking plays this year vs Pitt and Ole Miss, but this one stung a lot given what could have happened if UT prevents the deep pass and gets the ball back with a chance to tie in Tuscaloosa.

At this point it has been discussed on multiple forums, but how exciting it will be for this team to have depth and be able to hang with the nation's best for 60 minutes.
Just some thoughts on this Knoxville Monday. I am already super excited about the opportunity at Kentucky!

Go Vols!

I’m pretty sure this was the play where Alontae Taylor missed an open field tackle that would’ve forced a field goal attempt. Instead of completely breaking down and making Young change directions at a slower speed, AT ran in out of control and totally whiffed. I remember thinking how costly that play was going to be....it was tied up at 14 at the time. Aaron Beasley did the same thing on the first drive of the game.

EDIT: I misread that. I was thinking the BY scramble in Bama red zone..

Last edited:
That game looked bad because of the last 10 minutes or so which included a bad throw/interception/miscommunication, and 2 if not 3 blown deep coverages that all led to very quick scores. Saban wasn't pissed because he had an easy game for 4 quarters. He was pissed cause we took them to the wood shed and didn't run away. a 2 loss season was very real for him most of that game. I get the depleted roster. I'm very impressed the way CJH has them playing. Success will follow quickly. And it's not out of the question to upset KY and UGA. If we can go toe to toe with Bama like that, UGA better strap up. Anyone that over looks UT will go down.

That game looked bad because of the last 10 minutes or so which included a bad throw/interception/miscommunication, and 2 if not 3 blown deep coverages that all led to very quick scores. Saban wasn't pissed because he had an easy game for 4 quarters. He was pissed cause we took them to the wood shed and didn't run away. a 2 loss season was very real for him most of that game. I get the depleted roster. I'm very impressed the way CJH has them playing. Success will follow quickly. And it's not out of the question to upset KY and UGA. If we can go toe to toe with Bama like that, UGA better strap up. Anyone that over looks UT will go down.

Here’s some halftime stats:
Alabama 302 Total Yards with 20 First Downs
That’s not going toe-to-toe with Bama, and yes I’m a Tide fan.

UT played hard but Bama blew some coverages, and that’s why Saban was pissed. That was the secondary the cameras caught him chewing out on the sideline.

Yes, UT is improved and showed some fight to them, but going toe-to-toe is a big stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: USAFgolferVol
That’s not going you toe-to-toe with Bama, and yes I’m a Tide fan.

UT played hard but Bama blew some coverages, and that’s why Saban was pissed. That was the secondary the cameras caught him chewing out on the sideline.

Yes, UT is improved and showed some fight to them, but going toe-to-toe is a big stretch.
What was the score? (At half time) That's all that matters.

Last edited:

Every stat you stated was correct. Tennessee struggled with any concept of a running game vs Alabama and Vol fans have to recognize that. But Heupel has gotten guys wide open in every game this year. Opportunities for big plays in the passing game have been there for Tennessee in every game this year. In fact, the lil man even alluded to it in his press conference earlier in the week so those Tennessee TDs werent just "Bama blew some coverages".

Don't you have a tree to poison or a dude to teabag?

What was the first half score with those stats you had? (Didn't take us near as many yards and first downs to get the same first half points. Ya'll suck). Heck we had some blown secondary coverages in the 4th that gave Bama the chance to put it away. And you can't give Bryce that chance. And one of your blown coverages wasn't blown. That was Tillman saying hello/goodbye.

The simple fact that UT had Bama in a dog fight into the 4th with half the roster and a real possibility of an upset (barring major mistakes we ultimately made), is the definition of going toe-to-toe. Odds were against us. Odds of the upset were slim. Whoever took the odds thru 3 quarters in Vegas lost some money. UT should have never been in that game, on paper anyway, past mid-2nd quarter.

Every stat you stated was correct. Tennessee struggled with any concept of a running game vs Alabama and Vol fans have to recognize that. But Heupel has gotten guys wide open in every game this year. Opportunities for big plays in the passing game have been there for Tennessee in every game this year. In fact, the lil man even alluded to it in his press conference earlier in the week so those Tennessee TDs werent just "Bama blew some coverages".

Correct. That was Bama DB's saying, dang those guys are fast. Tillman dusted the DB on that TD. That was not a blown coverage.

I haven't seen a game where UT legitimately played Bama close honestly since 2009.

In 2016 we had a much deeper and far more talented team and it never felt close. This felt close. We were giving and taking body shots but a team that has played at a high level for going on 15 years now simply prevailed late in the game against an exhausted roster... not to mention fighting uphill on the road against said high level team as well as the refs.

I'm proud of them.

Um you must have been asleep in 2015 then. Because if not for a miracle strip sack late in the 4th, we beat the #1 Bama.

Reactions: jerrypack and GVF

What was the score at halftime? Stop with your excuses. The Vols were going toe to toe with Bama. Bama had all the starters in. Going into the 4th, it was 24-31. And then the much better team won. So no, you are dead wrong.

God forbid y’all acknowledge that an overmatched opponent forced you into a mistake.

Guess Bama just “took its foot off the gas.”

Thanks for your input, Gump.

Reactions: feathersax
Um you must have been asleep in 2015 then. Because if not for a miracle strip sack late in the 4th, we beat the #1 Bama.

I would go with "if not for a late drive that required two 3rds-and-very-long". That's what made the difference. The strip sack was hardly a miracle, and there's no guarantee that UT scores a TD on that drive.

Bama blew some coverages, yes. Too bad that’s a part of the game. Doesn’t mean we weren’t going toe to toe with Bama.

When you score on long explosive plays that happens. The score indicates we were toe to toe.
Actually the score showed UT trailed Alabama in a seemingly close game. My point is look closer and you find the stats that tell the truth. Bama was dominating on the field as 20 first downs to the Vols 5 at half verifies, and the Crimson Tide had over 300 yards at the half. UT had some big plays to keep it close.

Actually the score showed UT trailed Alabama in a seemingly close game. My point is look closer and you find the stats that tell the truth. Bama was dominating on the field as 20 first downs to the Vols 5 at half verifies, and the Crimson Tide had over 300 yards at the half. UT had some big plays to keep it close.

I’m not saying Bama didn’t dominate. But we were leading at the end of the first, and it was close late in the third. Stats don’t always tell the full story, and in fairness, neither does the score.

VN Store

Back