Big Stat for Defense

What an encouraging marker for the team! Aggressive run defense is the key to making a team one dimensional and, with proper depth and talent, winning in the SEC. Imagine if we had an elite pass rusher or two on the edges to compliment the run stuffers. We would be talking late 90s level of defensive play.

So long as we can continue to recruit and transfer in talent we will continue to get better.

Reactions: volnut1
This upcoming recruiting class/portal activity is critical to getting UT back on the right track. We don't need another questionable "transition" year. Our brand has had enough of those already.

Reactions: txvol19
With a few more quality players on our D just think how much better we could be, hell we are dang good now.

Reactions: volnut1
I hate to bring up a Butchism but this team needs to do a better job of complimentary football IMO.

The defense has been on the field for 194 plays the last two weeks I believe.

Bama held the ball for over 40 minutes last Saturday.

The offense HAS to get a lot better on third down to extend drives and give the defense a break. Heupel needs to swallow some pride and slow the game down occasionally as well on offense.

Banks has been doing a great job overall despite giving up monster numbers on total offense with a short roster that is being put under tremendous strain.

Our defense is on the field a ridiculous amount of time. Not surprising we lead in some total number categories just because of that. We can't be giving opposing teams total plays and time of possession advantages like the last 2 weeks. Almost 200 plays in 2 weeks is brutal. These defensive stats are a double edged sword.

I imagine we are top 3 in defensive snaps as well. It's a good stat but not as significant as many would like to believe.

Through the end of Saturday's games, Tim Banks' defense leads the nation in tackles for loss (70). That is shared by 26 different players. Amazing stat, given how putrid our defenses were with Pruitt.

Pruitt’s ability to butcher and discombobulate the English language, caused major problems….. the players had trouble understanding exactly what Baldor was trying to say, to do and or accomplish

The next step needs to be improving third down defense. Not sure where we rank but I doubt it is good.

Also our red zone defense is awful. Once the other team gets inside our 10 or 15 yard line it looks like we just give up…

I hate to bring up a Butchism but this team needs to do a better job of complimentary football IMO.

The defense has been on the field for 194 plays the last two weeks I believe.

Bama held the ball for over 40 minutes last Saturday.

The offense HAS to get a lot better on third down to extend drives and give the defense a break. Heupel needs to swallow some pride and slow the game down occasionally as well on offense.

Banks has been doing a great job overall despite giving up monster numbers on total offense with a short roster that is being put under tremendous strain.
I think there may be something to this. I’m not sure that the advantages of the hurry up offense outweigh the negatives we experienced. It is definitely awesome when we get a 70 yd TD bomb, but I think we see two adverse results from our hurry up.

One, our offensive players dont seem real fresh in the fourth quarter. The o-line is thin and those big boys are hardly catching their breath during a drive. Our pre-snap penalties could be because the focus is to go fast and we lose some focus on snap count, formation, etc. the other adverse thing is when our D is tired after a long drive in the fourth, our offense has a hurry up 3&O and then our defense is back out for a long drive again. Meanwhile, the opposing D gets plenty of rest, thus making the hurry up less efficient against them.

I like the overall premise of the hurry up, but it seems to put a larger strain on our undermanned roster than it does on the other team’s full roster. The flipside is we went slower last year and stunk on O and D, so, what do I know?

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent

VN Store

Back