The Official Tennessee @ #4 Alabama Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPN

Needs some tweaks to the scheme also.

Good teams don't beat themselves. We before matching up with Bama on talent have to figure out a way to play pretty doggone error free football. This staff has not demonstrated they can do that yet against the better teams. WE had significantly more penalties, a turnover, and a few play calls I'm sure the staff would have done something else in hindsight. UT cannot do that and compete with the Bamas and Floridas of the college football world before even discussing personnel or lack thereof.

Lots of positives from this game.
Nobody is satisfied. I remember when Tennessee would roll Alabama on a consistent basis. Didn’t happen tonight, but the main thing is everybody on that sideline believed. They kept fighting until the end.
That’s something we haven’t had in awhile.
Bye week couldn’t come at a better time, and I can’t wait to see the guys get healthy and make a run.
I’m bringing the family up for the Vandy game and staying the whole weekend. I cannot wait!
GB🍊

I highly agree.
They are a confident gritty team that had the desire to win this game because even when down by 2 touchdowns they didn't stop competing since impressively they did use a quick strike to score a touchdown.
I didn't stop believing they could win since they were running with the Crimson Tide before the huge momentum-changing interception since the Crimson Tide no doubt were going to score a touchdown which they did. Trailing 3 touchdowns is not a wall that the Volunteers can overcome to win because they aren't in the league of Michigan, Cincinnati, etc.
They are a team that didn't quit even when it was obvious they weren't going to win since Alabama had the desire to cover the spread.

Precisely. No one is happy about losing, but you have to be realistic.
Guess if one plays golf and on the first 9 he shoots 3 under par and the last nine he shoots 7 over par to finish 4 over par he should pat himself on the back for doing so good on the front nine. These moral victories are for the birds. And going by alot of you guys logic in 16 years there have 3 moral victories for us against Bama. That is freaking great progress. 👍

Reactions: lifeisdeep
So you don’t see progress?
I see some players that really want to win. Never said there wasn't progress. The point I'm trying to make is playing conservatively when you're up and you're a 25 point under dog doesn't win football games. In 1st half when bama fumbled and UT recovered in red zone, you play aggressive there and not run 3 run plays up the middle. Score td there it changes the whole trajectory of the game. In 3rd quarter defense got 3 three and outs and on one drive of those UT had one drive that was 3 runs up the middle for a net 1 yard. That's bad play calling when everyone saw what happened when the ball was aired out more. But as far as chemistry progress, yes this team gels very good together. The staff definitely is best in years. Just saying at times last night the coaches flubbed up a few play calls.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Good teams don't beat themselves. We before matching up with Bama on talent have to figure out a way to play pretty doggone error free football. This staff has not demonstrated they can do that yet against the better teams. WE had significantly more penalties, a turnover, and a few play calls I'm sure the staff would have done something else in hindsight. UT cannot do that and compete with the Bamas and Floridas of the college football world before even discussing personnel or lack thereof.
Exactly. 3 false starts on 3 consecutive plays don't have a dam thing to do with depth. Banks doing a late hit out of bounds doesn't have a thing to do with depth. That is fundamental football.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
FWIW, I thought the VOLS played a helluva game last night. UGA will be a tough game. We need a bye week in a big way. I thought the roughing penalty on Banks was a bad call. Our problem last night was a failure to stop their offense. At times we were good and made good calls but, a lot of plays we were out of gas and out of position. More whiffs than I cared to count. Hopefully, recruits will like the new coaching staff and we will get better and deeper.

Was 28 points when it counts. Vol fans and their moral victories. We just lost by 28 buy, at the beginning of 4th qtr we were only down by 7.
While I understand the sentiment here, the last 12 minutes is what concerns me coming out of the game.

1. I love the fight of this team. Huepel has done an incredible job turning the culture around in less than a year.
2. Huepel can scheme offensively and I like his play calling overall....yes, there are some decisions I would make differently, but overall best play caller and schemer we have had in a long time
3. Here is my big question.....with this quick, hyperspeed tempo we run on offense, how many bodies do we need on defense to just not get exhausted in the 4th quarter? I mean, yeah--we do not have the bodies right now, and what you saw last night was Bama on the ropes in the 4th quarter, but our D was utterly gassed and would not have been able to stop a HS team in the 4th quarter....how many plays did the D play last night?

I do think we will continue to improve on offense and be able to put up points; however, will our roster need to be 60-70% defensive players so we can rotate a lot and keep fresh bodies in the front 7 for the entire 60 minutes? This is my only concern is the wear-down in the 4th quarter against these top 10 teams and the inability to finish the game strong--I feel if we would have had another rotation of SEC-caliber front 7 on defense it could have gone to the wire.....but we have to have more defensive bodies or be able to grind the clock in certain times as well to allow the defense to rest.

The God complex, how you look down upon the poor in your previous posts; you'll leave earth with nothing more than a homeless man, but furthermore, until repentance and ego death, the homeless man will transcend past you-- your camel through the eye of the needle with a hardened heart is not looking great, your ego is disgusting, your fruits are vain for your own glory

My oh my…. Look at who is judging who. You portray yourself as some Christian “authority” and then proceed to attempt to insult me and tell me all about my ego and my hardened heart. I look down on the poor do I? Brother when I was a child I was the poorest. We had nothing. Zero. Don’t tell me about being poor. I’ve actually been there and lived it….not just sat behind a computer screen and talked about it.

While I understand the sentiment here, the last 12 minutes is what concerns me coming out of the game.

1. I love the fight of this team. Huepel has done an incredible job turning the culture around in less than a year.
2. Huepel can scheme offensively and I like his play calling overall....yes, there are some decisions I would make differently, but overall best play caller and schemer we have had in a long time
3. Here is my big question.....with this quick, hyperspeed tempo we run on offense, how many bodies do we need on defense to just not get exhausted in the 4th quarter? I mean, yeah--we do not have the bodies right now, and what you saw last night was Bama on the ropes in the 4th quarter, but our D was utterly gassed and would not have been able to stop a HS team in the 4th quarter....how many plays did the D play last night?

I do think we will continue to improve on offense and be able to put up points; however, will our roster need to be 60-70% defensive players so we can rotate a lot and keep fresh bodies in the front 7 for the entire 60 minutes? This is my only concern is the wear-down in the 4th quarter against these top 10 teams and the inability to finish the game strong--I feel if we would have had another rotation of SEC-caliber front 7 on defense it could have gone to the wire.....but we have to have more defensive bodies or be able to grind the clock in certain times as well to allow the defense to rest.
Exactly. When you aren't converting on 3rd downs all game, you gotta give defense a breather somehow, if that is slowing the pace down then so be it

Exactly. When you aren't converting on 3rd downs all game, you gotta give defense a breather somehow, if that is slowing the pace down then so be it
You do realize if you do that, this offense won't work right? It's all about pressure, not letting D sub, etc.... D would be be getting plenty of breathers if the 3rd down defense was even decent....Right now we have virtually zero depth and less than a handful of talented players. That doesn't help.

You do realize if you do that, this offense won't work right? It's all about pressure, not letting D sub, etc.... D would be be getting plenty of breathers if the 3rd down defense was even decent....Right now we have virtually zero depth and less than a handful of talented players. That doesn't help.
I do realize that but trying to run up the middle play after play wasn't there. So that is on the coaches.

VN Store

Back