Gave up 28 in 4th quarter

We lost any chance at winning on two things not getting six after the blocked punt and not going for it on 4th and 1 then Hookers INT sealed the deal although it was probaly over anyway at that point.

The blocked punt was great. Very sorry that advantage couldn't be taken from it.

Our defense was on the field for 92 plays and 40 minutes, and some of you wanna say we WERENT tired?

Look, you cant win a game with those numbers, and you cant win a game going 2/13 on 3rd down while the other team goes 15/20. Break it down all you want, but that's the story of the game.
Madbamahater….says being tired is making an excuse. He stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

Offensive play calling has to be better down the stretch to give the team better chance to win, stay in the game later pick up first downs.

How the hell do you give up 28 points in the last quarter? I did see some quit in the last half of the 4th...
You realize we only have 71 scholarship players, right? It looks easy when all you ever did was sit the bench in JV. SMDH

Reactions: CaliVol2009
Madbamahater….says being tired is making an excuse. He stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

An excuse does not mean that it isn't true. Sometimes there are truly reasons for why you cannot win a game. SOMEONE has to lose every game, and there is always going to be a reason why they didn't win. An excuse is "an attempt to lessen blame or justify or defend." So, is it an excuse to say "they just gave out after playing 92 plays and on the field for 40 minutes?" Yes, it is. But it's also true. It's also true that our 3rd down defense is atrocious. It's also true that our 3rd down offense is atrocious.

And sometimes those things are connected. Sometimes they're not.

What you own tonight is that you have to get better at getting off the field on defense, and you have to get better at moving the chains on offense.

What you acknowledge is because you didn't, you create a cycle of "I'm tired so I can't get off the field, but now because I can't get off the field, I'm more tired."

You win games by extending drives when you need to. Big plays are great. But tonight proves that you do not always win by the big play. Sometimes you win games by just being efficient and making the plays when you need to make the plays. It's not always the 37 yard bombs. Sometimes it's the 3rd and 2's that make the difference.

Offensive play calling has to be better down the stretch to give the team better chance to win, stay in the game later pick up first downs.

How the hell do you give up 28 points in the last quarter? I did see some quit in the last half of the 4th...

You saw fatigue. When you get to that level of exhaustion, your legs feel like they each weigh a ton and you have serious trouble mustering up the energy to get where you need to be.

First you give them a short field on an INT. Then you give them a short field because you go for it on 4th down to try to get back into it. That's how the hell you give up 28 points in the last quarter.

Quitting would've been punting the ball back to Alabama down 21 so we didn't give up another touchdown. That's something Butch Jones would've done.

You saw fatigue. When you get to that level of exhaustion, your legs feel like they each weigh a ton and you have serious trouble mustering up the energy to get where you need to be.

So getting first downs to keep your defense on the sidelines and getting off the field on third down might actually help. Stop making excuses.

Reactions: BackwoodsMan
Did you watch the game? Evans couldn’t run…. There was NO running game whatsoever…. This limits the hell out of what you can do offensively…..
I bet your big lazy behind gets winded going up a flight of stairs, but you’re an expert on endurance ….. ?

I agree that after the pick the adrenaline stopped and complete exhaustion set in.

My concern is that the time of possession difference will not change due to this type of scheme so unless we get amazing depth that is equal across all strings this may not change in the future.

I agree that after the pick the adrenaline stopped and complete exhaustion set in.

My concern is that the time of possession difference will not change due to this type of scheme so unless we get amazing depth that is equal across all strings this may not change in the future.

while this is true…….your not always going to be playing a team like Alabama.

BG had almost 8 minutes more time of possession but Tennessee won 38-6

TN Tech had almost 9 more minutes and Tennessee won 56-0

SC had almost 8 minutes more……….

Hopefully as Tennessee gains more depth and more talent they can get some of the better teams to go 3 and out more often thus helping the D. However the pace just lends itself that way.

while this is true…….your not always going to be playing a team like Alabama.

BG had almost 8 minutes more time of possession but Tennessee won 38-6

TN Tech had almost 9 more minutes and Tennessee won 56-0

SC had almost 8 minutes more……….

Hopefully as Tennessee gains more depth and more talent they can get some of the better teams to go 3 and out more often thus helping the D. However the pace just lends itself that way.

Those three teams honestly don’t matter….at all.

I hope your last statement is true though but the fact is we will always be leaving our D out there more often than the other team and as the season goes on that will wear them down. Time will tell though on how much this is a detriment to us.

Those three teams honestly don’t matter….at all.

I hope your last statement is true though but the fact is we will always be leaving our D out there more often than the other team and as the season goes on that will wear them down. Time will tell though on how much this is a detriment to us.

For right now especially (when your not playing Alabama and Georgia I guess) it’s as much about your offense as it is your defense.

If you offense is clicking it doesn’t matter as much if your defense is on the field a lot. Heupel’s system is designed to be fast and to score……score fast and a lot.

Tennessee doesn’t have the personal to do that to Bama……..but they don’t have to play those guys all the time. So as long as it’s clicking it doesn’t matter as much as it normally would……because the other team is going to have to be scoring a lot to keep up.

tonight was just real bad because Tennessee couldn’t buy 3 and outs for most of the game. Once Tennessee has some talent and depth “help” just a few extra 3 and outs will go a long way for a defense with a fast paced offense.

No quit in the team so you didn't see any. If you keep letting a heavy hit you in the mouth eventually you will get knocked out. 28 points was scored because the offense kept giving the ball back affording them opportunities.

Stop making excuses

On defense, Starting corner and safety out… Alabama had 2 times the snaps. 10 of 13 on 3rd downs can’t get off the field..

Offense, a walk on playing tackle, qb at maybe 70%, best running back at 50% and however many penalties… those aren’t excuses!

I think everyone knew the game was over after the pick. That and not converting on the 4th down was the nail in the coffin. We fought hard, it was a good game and I'd bet they feared us for part of the game. The final score was not an indication of how close a game this was for 3+ quarters. Not a moral victory thing, just proud of these guys.

I agree that we need to throw in some new looks and plays

An excuse does not mean that it isn't true. Sometimes there are truly reasons for why you cannot win a game. SOMEONE has to lose every game, and there is always going to be a reason why they didn't win. An excuse is "an attempt to lessen blame or justify or defend." So, is it an excuse to say "they just gave out after playing 92 plays and on the field for 40 minutes?" Yes, it is. But it's also true. It's also true that our 3rd down defense is atrocious. It's also true that our 3rd down offense is atrocious.

And sometimes those things are connected. Sometimes they're not.

What you own tonight is that you have to get better at getting off the field on defense, and you have to get better at moving the chains on offense.

What you acknowledge is because you didn't, you create a cycle of "I'm tired so I can't get off the field, but now because I can't get off the field, I'm more tired."

You win games by extending drives when you need to. Big plays are great. But tonight proves that you do not always win by the big play. Sometimes you win games by just being efficient and making the plays when you need to make the plays. It's not always the 37 yard bombs. Sometimes it's the 3rd and 2's that make the difference.
We failed on way too many 3rd and short plays,

In several cases, we also followed stops and turnovers with 3 and outs. As a certain trumpeter might say “we did not play complementary football”.

Reactions: BEATBAMA12
The team did not quit. What you saw was the superior team do what it does best. Take over. It’s that simple. There was very little we could have done about it.
Exactly. And they have been the superior team since Saban has been their head coach. Which is why he's undefeated against us during his time at Bama.

We also could not run the ball as well against them as we did other teams. And let's not forget that Bama had the ball on offense for over 40 minutes compared to less than 20 minutes for us. Which is one disadvantage of Heupel's fast paced offense. Our defense was on the field for too long tonight and eventually was worn down in the final quarter.

We failed on way too many 3rd and short plays,

In several cases, we also followed stops and turnovers with 3 and outs. As a certain trumpeter might say “we did not play complementary football”.

Sure. It's such a momentum killer for your defense to get a turnover, only for your offense to give it right back. It reminds me of the 2008 season, I think. Outstanding defense that year, but the offense couldn't do jack squat. So any good the defense did, the offense made it moot.

I think the defense has played exceptionally well this year, given the challenges we have had. I think the offense has shown some signs of greatness, and has shown what it CAN be, but I think the consistency is lacking. I think consistency will come with time, and with added talent.

If I am Coach Heupel (and I am definitely not, so my opinion matters nil), I am focusing heavily on offensive linemen and defensive players. That seems to be our weakest links, and where we need depth and skill the most.

Overall, I am loving the direction this program is headed. I absolutely HATE that people who see that score on paper without watching the game will think we got blown out or dominated. Those of us who watched the game know that it was a far different story.

We are gaining ground and headed in the right direction. Just gonna take time and talent.

Correct. But our moral Victory fans will make you think otherwise.

Every game gas its own variables. That's why I hate it when they give clout to margin of victory and tougher schedule comparisons. Then apply to the top 25 rankings. 2 teams can play a 10-3 game and then a month later 35-28. Games are different and teams match up differently with one another. Florida game stats we were even if not slightly better on the stat sheet. Not scoreboard though. What's the difference?

VN Store

Back