Not going for it on 4th down was a game changer

It might have kept us in the game longer. But we blocked a punt and recovered a fumble and were still trailing.
We weren’t winning this game no matter what. If it had ever gotten close enough, the referees would have taken over more than they already did. The SEC Birmingham Mafia continues to control what happens when Bama plays

It was actually not a bad decision. We hadn't been able to convert on short yardage situations all game to that point. There was still plenty of time left. And up until that punt, we were stopping Bama's offense in the 2nd half. No need to give Bama life by trying to go for it on pur half of the field.

It wasn't until they received the punt that Bama went a little bit more uptempo which really caused issues for our defense.
Not going for the first down didn’t piss me off as much as the fact they we didn’t at least try to make them jump offsides. That was baffling to me

Y’all are ridiculous and greatly overvalue the talent on this roster, the oline, and our potential. If we win six games it will be a minor miracle and the only reason we have even the slightest chance to win more rests squarely with Heupel
Who said anything to the contrary? We’re just saying it was a bad decision to not go for it on fourth down there. It clearly was in the moment and it clearly was in hindsight. Doesn’t mean Heupel isn’t doing a bang up job overall

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
A game changer is something that alters the result. That punt didn’t do it. They ran 94 plays, had 34 first downs to our 8, had 40 min possession to our 20. they made 15-20 3rd downs, we made 2-13. Plus, we had a boat load of penalties.

That one measly punt didn’t change the game.

8 for 12 on third down … thats what Bama was passing in 3rd down.. not even counting the web scrambkes that were converted.. that’s the difference.. can’t get off the field and we will never win.

We had momentum, we had a chance to make a statement. We chose to punt. Even if the plan was to punt why not line up and try to draw them offsides? I’m optimistic about JH but that was baffling it reminded me of Butch.
it was Bama. Beat Kentucky

I think we all hoped for a score less than 28 points. We played better than that but now it looks like we were blown out when we actually were in the game well into the 4th Qtr.

I don’t care what it looks like. Heupel is the right coach, I’m seeing something different than I saw in year 1 with the 3 previous coaches. Wait until he has his guys and a full roster with depth

If you are talking about that 4th and 1, I agree. The 4th and 10, I disagree. Still, even our mistakes are minor. Hard to criticize our coaches after what we have done so far this season.

We had momentum, we had a chance to make a statement. We chose to punt. Even if the plan was to punt why not line up and try to draw them offsides? I’m optimistic about JH but that was baffling it reminded me of Butch.
We don’t have the horses to hang. They are loaded with 5’s end we are nowhere near ready for that.

I agree. Just having an awareness about our depth would tell me we need to be aggressive and in that situation the odds seem like a favorable risk. Next year that’s a different call

Not going for the first down didn’t piss me off as much as the fact they we didn’t at least try to make them jump offsides. That was baffling to me

It seems Huepel was debating the decision, but ultimately thought better to punt. Which I agree was the better decision in context.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
H
I think we have the right coach however he’s got some things he needs to work on about himself. His play calling is either great or atrocious, his clock management is questionable, and we seem so undisciplined with all the penalties we rack up each game

I agree. Between the several 3rd and 1 or 2s that we just kept trying to run up the middle and got stuffed, and then the not going for it when we had momentum on 4th and 1 at the 50… I put this loss squarely on Heupel’s play calling. Seemed he was trying to play to cover the spread than to actually win the game.

I put the loss on us being outmanned and lack of depth. But I could be wrong. Please tell us what you would have run on 3rd and 1. Explain what Defence Bama was in and how you would attack it. Diagrams would be nice. Change my mind Coach? While your at it explain why Coach didn't want to win the game. You think he placed a bet?

Game changers were the three 2nd and 1 series we had in the first half where we didn't get first downs. We were up 14-7 in the first one, tied 14-14 on the second one and down 21-14 on the third one. Punting on 4th down was the right call. Heck, Hooker not running on that third down when he could have easily made it was more of a game changer because it was right after the blocked punt and We had a chance to the it up. We need better players. Good QBs convert on those plays

Giving up 3&15 was the game. Tennessee was within 7 in 4th Qtr got them 3&15 backed up. which is all you can ask. Tennessee wasn’t going to win the game on that 4th down in the 3rd Qtr. They could have blown it there.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
We weren't winning this game either way, but you absolutely have to go for it in that spot. It shows the team you have an aggressive, confident attitude and believe they can get it done, and taking some chances is the only way to possibly pull off the upset. You don't play field position down 7 against a much better roster with one quarter to play and with some momentum. It just made no sense.

The only only other issue I have had with Heupel is the play calling in short yardage situations. It seems like there were 7-8 times in the last couple of games where we have tried the same inside zone RPO run that has been stuffed. Those plays might have worked against lesser defenses and with a healthy O-Line, but with all the injuries it is just beating your head against a wall.

Otherwise, proud of the effort and for making it a game longer than most of us thought it would be.

I don’t care what it looks like. Heupel is the right coach, I’m seeing something different than I saw in year 1 with the 3 previous coaches. Wait until he has his guys and a full roster with depth
I’m with you. He has the most potential of anyone we have had in many years. He still needs to get better with his play calling. It’s hurt us in some very competitive games that we lost.

Yeah. I was very surprised we didn’t go for it.

We overcame a lot to get in that position... down 7 with the ball at midfield. Expecting to force another Bama punt then put together enough plays on offense to get into a better position than that seemed unrealistic.

If he goes for it and doesn't get then he is wrong if he punts he is wrong. It's a team game you live with your decisions

I mean I'm sure some people will complain if he went for it and they failed but I think the vast majority of people with any kind of brain woulda appreciated it.

Who said anything to the contrary? We’re just saying it was a bad decision to not go for it on fourth down there. It clearly was in the moment and it clearly was in hindsight. Doesn’t mean Heupel isn’t doing a bang up job overall
Yeah. We can think Heupel is doing a great job and disagree with one decision at the same time..

…and as usual if they didn’t get the first down people would have complained about going for it.

We simply played a team with more talent than us right now. The fact we were still in the game early in the 4th quarter says a lot about Heupel’s leadership. These kids simply won’t quit, unlike some of our teams in the past. We just ran out of gas due to lack of depth, so the score got inflated.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
I’ll be 50 next season. I hope I am alive to see us beat Bama again. Just glad I was at the 85 game sms 95 game!

I thought he was going for it and then with the penalty on time it no longer made sense?

VN Store

Back