Not going for it on 4th down was a game changer

We had momentum, we had a chance to make a statement. We chose to punt. Even if the plan was to punt why not line up and try to draw them offsides? I’m optimistic about JH but that was baffling it reminded me of Butch.
He has had some really bad decisions this far ( not challenging that Pitt spot comes to mind). , but then again this team has come to play every game… we are extremely limited personnel wise

I agree. Between the several 3rd and 1 or 2s that we just kept trying to run up the middle and got stuffed, and then the not going for it when we had momentum on 4th and 1 at the 50… I put this loss squarely on Heupel’s play calling. Seemed he was trying to play to cover the spread than to actually win the game.

He has had some really bad decisions this far ( not challenging that Pitt spot comes to mind). , but then again this team has come to play every game… we are extremely limited personnel wise
I think we have the right coach however he’s got some things he needs to work on about himself. His play calling is either great or atrocious, his clock management is questionable, and we seem so undisciplined with all the penalties we rack up each game

I agree. Between the several 3rd and 1 or 2s that we just kept trying to run up the middle and got stuffed, and then the not going for it when we had momentum on 4th and 1 at the 50… I put this loss squarely on Heupel’s play calling. Seemed he was trying to play to cover the spread than to actually win the game.
I wish we’d run some trick plays too. Do something unexpected.

It wasn’t running on 2nd or 3rd and short that was the problem… it was running out of shotgun on those plays.. for the love of God, learn how to have a few plays you can run from under center

Reactions: volfeeva
Agree 100%. Heupel has made some bad decisions today. I believe not throwing the ball more early was a mistake as well. We stubbornly just kept trying and trying to run when it just wasn’t there. Oh well…I guess we just have to settle for having made it a game for a while there. But heupel needed to go for it to start the 4th quarter at the 50. You look at how aggressive jimbo fisher was when they beat them. He talked a bunch of **** about Bama leading up to the game and called an aggressive game. Heupel was timid.

We should've gone for it, but I don't think we're winning regardless.

Main reason to go for it, though, is CJH should've known the defense couldn't hold up much longer. Bama's goal was to tire them out. You also know Bama has at least a 50-50 shot at scoring if you punt, so might as well go for it, and try to keep the defense off the field. If you score, even better.

But I don't think we would've won regardless. We just don't have the depth to compete with Bama right now. O-line injuries hurt us a lot. Defense needs more players to keep up with a team this good. That's it. Valiant effort, but we were always outmatched here. It's going to take a lot of great recruiting to change that.

Yep.... You go for it and make it you keep the tired D off the field, maybe are able to sustain a drive, possibly score.

You punt you put the tired D back on the field, you go for it and don't get it you put the tired D back on the field (albeit with a shorter field).

Two out of three decisions puts a tired D back on the field.

You GOTTA roll the dice there......

I think we have the right coach however he’s got some things he needs to work on about himself. His play calling is either great or atrocious, his clock management is questionable, and we seem so undisciplined with all the penalties we rack up each game

We were not going to win or lose that game on that call. Calm down

It was actually not a bad decision. We hadn't been able to convert on short yardage situations all game to that point. There was still plenty of time left. And up until that punt, we were stopping Bama's offense in the 2nd half. No need to give Bama life by trying to go for it on pur half of the field.

It wasn't until they received the punt that Bama went a little bit more uptempo which really caused issues for our defense.

VN Store

Back