They’re Banning FJB and Let’s Go Brandon

In an earlier post, you made it sound as if teachers were the ones promoting this idea - the "education system and society have made people think certain jobs are below them." A quality teacher has interest in seeing their students be highly successful at almost any occupation (I couch this with the fact that a quality teacher will not support demeaning, damaging, or illegal occupations like Crack Whore). One of my friends from high school is an elementary school maintenance worker/janitor; his school had an appreciation party for him and the principal talked with the students about how the school would have difficulty functioning without his services. But, I digress.

To understand where mindsets come from, look up the food chain. The most cockamamie and crazy ideas tend to come from state departments of education, where administrators have lots of book smarts but usually precious little classroom experience. They think their ideas are great, then toss them down the chain and are surprised when they don't work out (and it's obviously because of those crappy teachers). Tennessee at least has the sense to keep vocational secondary education viable. I would argue they're not pushing it hard enough and making it more widely available.
And yet you support Gloria Johnson who is the poster child for what you speak of

In an earlier post, you made it sound as if teachers were the ones promoting this idea - the "education system and society have made people think certain jobs are below them." A quality teacher has interest in seeing their students be highly successful at almost any occupation (I couch this with the fact that a quality teacher will not support demeaning, damaging, or illegal occupations like Crack Whore). One of my friends from high school is an elementary school maintenance worker/janitor; his school had an appreciation party for him and the principal talked with the students about how the school would have difficulty functioning without his services. But, I digress.

To understand where mindsets come from, look up the food chain. The most cockamamie and crazy ideas tend to come from state departments of education, where administrators have lots of book smarts but usually precious little classroom experience. They think their ideas are great, then toss them down the chain and are surprised when they don't work out (and it's obviously because of those crappy teachers). Tennessee at least has the sense to keep vocational secondary education viable. I would argue they're not pushing it hard enough and making it more widely available.
Who reallocated the funds in that situation? If funds were supposed to pay for bus drivers to have insurance then why was it allowed to go anywhere else?

And why isn't it taught more in schools that there are other avenues besides going to college in order to be successful? And why are certain industries looked down on more than others? Part of it does have to do with education one receives and ideas they were taught in that education system. Whether that be high school, college, etc. Another part of it I suppose is the people one has associated with over the years.

Reactions: AM64 and AshG
Who reallocated the funds in that situation? If funds were supposed to pay for bus drivers to have insurance then why was it allowed to go anywhere else?

And why isn't it taught more in schools that there are other avenues besides going to college in order to be successful? And why are certain industries looked down on more than others? Part of it does have to do with education one receives and ideas they were taught in that education system. Whether that be high school, college, etc. Another part of it I suppose is the people one has associated with over the years.

1. The Director of Schools reallocated the money with the blessing of the School Board. The state made a big deal about publicizing the extra money as being specifically for bus drivers, but the small print said boards could vote to use it for something else.

2. I attended high school at a school where all ninth graders were required to visit the Vocational Center and see demonstrations of their classes. Every other year, the Vocational Center provided a rebuilt car and a year of free maintenance to the winner of the Perfect Attendance drawing as another way to bolster interest.

The system I taught in for 14 years had partnerships with the county co-op for agribusiness education and had several Vocational education opportunities in the same building.

I don't see how a school system, in good conscience, could not offer high quality and rich education opportunities in Vocational fields. It's a disservice to the communities and the students.

1. The Director of Schools reallocated the money with the blessing of the School Board. The state made a big deal about publicizing the extra money as being specifically for bus drivers, but the small print said boards could vote to use it for something else.

2. I attended high school at a school where all ninth graders were required to visit the Vocational Center and see demonstrations of their classes. Every other year, the Vocational Center provided a rebuilt car and a year of free maintenance to the winner of the Perfect Attendance drawing as another way to bolster interest.

The system I taught in for 14 years had partnerships with the county co-op for agribusiness education and had several Vocational education opportunities in the same building.

I don't see how a school system, in good conscience, could not offer high quality and rich education opportunities in Vocational fields. It's a disservice to the communities and the students.
Then if you knew of the loophole that allowed the Director of Schools to reallocate the money, did you lead an effort to confront the school board for their blatant bait and switch? Did you go speak up at the school board meeting? Did you inform others and raise a stink over the blatant misuse of intended funds? Did you go to your local newspapers to discuss the blatant bait and switch the state put into the legislation? If not, why not?

Then if you knew of the loophole that allowed the Director of Schools to reallocate the money, did you lead an effort to confront the school board for their blatant bait and switch? Did you go speak up at the school board meeting? Did you inform others and raise a stink over the blatant misuse of intended funds? Did you go to your local newspapers to discuss the blatant bait and switch the state put into the legislation? If not, why not?

It's been 12 years, but yes. We confronted. We went to the school board (who have representatives as part of the board team). The paper was involved.

The board offered to cut our insurance to make up the difference. The teachers voted no, so we had to reject that proposal.

It's been 12 years, but yes. We confronted. We went to the school board (who have representatives as part of the board team). The paper was involved.

The board offered to cut our insurance to make up the difference. The teachers voted no, so we had to reject that proposal.

Then after the school board voted the way they did, did you actively work to get the school board members removed from office or voted out? If not, all you did was acquiesce as soon as it might cost you something. Not much to brag about if that’s the case.

I did not pigeon hole you in a party because you dont agree with me. You support that party because you agree with and support their agenda. Yes, i know what marxism is, dont need to run it by you.

LOL, you assume I agree with and support their agenda, that's precisely where you "pigeon hole."

I could just as easily accuse you of being a pedophile since we're making accusations with out any roots in reality.

You missed dude, stop assuming you know what I agree with or don't - it makes you look ridiculous.

Trump didn't really suck, he sucked at getting his agenda through and his decision to let Faucci speak sucked but for 3 years things were moving along pretty good. Joe has been ****ing up from day 1.

The White House needed a revolving door there was so much turn over from people who thought trump was an ass clown.

Tracking turnover in the Trump administration (brookings.edu)

Trump revolving door creates 'unprecedented' vacancy mess in government (nbcnews.com)

The Trump White House: A revolving door | The Spokesman-Review

He had more cabinet turn over in three years than Clinton, Bush and Obama had COMBINED in their first 4 years.

Trump didn't really suck, he sucked at getting his agenda through and his decision to let Faucci speak sucked but for 3 years things were moving along pretty good. Joe has been ****ing up from day 1.

Trump was handed an economy on the rise. He turned one over far worse than he received.

Joe has managed to take a messed up situation and mess it up worse.

The White House needed a revolving door there was so much turn over from people who thought trump was an ass clown.

Trump revolving door creates 'unprecedented' vacancy mess in government (nbcnews.com)

He had more cabinet turn over in three years than Clinton, Bush and Obama had COMBINED in their first 4 years.

Yep, he sucked at hiring people, thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: AM64
Trump was handed an economy on the rise. He turned one over far worse than he received.

Joe has managed to take a messed up situation and mess it up worse.

Yeah, that was all his doing with zero external issues. I bet if Hillary had been in office things would have continued on as if nothing was happening around the globe.

I really don't care about anything you said, are you ready to pay more in taxes to pay for Biden's agenda?

Yep, he sucked at hiring people, thanks for the reminder.

No sweat, I remember when folks used to use the fallback position of "well, you're right - he doesn't have the experience but he'll surround himself with the best."

He tried, but guys like Tillerson noted that "trump was undisciplined, doesn't like to read and tries to do illegal things."

It's hard to hire good people that will turn a blind eye to the sh*t Trump tried to pull.

I really don't care about anything you said, are you ready to pay more in taxes to pay for Biden's agenda?

What does biden's tax plan have to do with anything I said about the revolving door at the white house?

C'mon, you're better than falling into the moronic trap of trump or biden dichotomies. They're both terrible, just for different reasons - don't try to cherry pick - trumps well of bullshi* is deep and wide.

No sweat, I remember when folks used to use the fallback position of "well, you're right - he doesn't have the experience but he'll surround himself with the best."

He tried, but guys like Tillerson noted that "trump was undisciplined, doesn't like to read and tries to do illegal things."

It's hard to hire good people that will turn a blind eye to the sh*t Trump tried to pull.

He hired the wrong people for what he was wanting to do, hence he sucked at hiring.

He hired the wrong people for what he was wanting to do, hence he sucked at hiring.

My guess is that most of the guys he'd have preferred to hire couldn't pass a background check or get clearance.

Hard to get a security clearance when you're part of the Bananno, Gambino, Genovese, Colombo or Lucchese families.

My guess is that most of the guys he'd have preferred to hire couldn't pass a background check or get clearance.

Hard to get a security clearance when you're part of the Bananno, Gambino, Genovese, Colombo or Lucchese families.

I'm sure that was it.

It used to be that you didn't just see what others do; all boys took shop, and girls had home economics. Sometimes hands on work and seeing what you can accomplish will turn a student who thought the only path to the future was through college to finding he/she has a different aptitude and potentially more job satisfaction elsewhere.

I finished a book on the history of football, and I picked up something that I never thought about. You would be astounded by how few people attended college through the 1940s. Maybe the boom that began in the 1950s had to do with post WW2 GI Bill; in any case, attendance took off and never looked back, and later became an expectation - like an extension of HS. I suppose degree creep looks like an improvement to some, and a cheapening of the system to another part of us. Quality and quantity often prove to be inversely related.

It used to be that you didn't just see what others do; all boys took shop, and girls had home economics. Sometimes hands on work and seeing what you can accomplish will turn a student who thought the only path to the future was through college to finding he/she has a different aptitude and potentially more job satisfaction elsewhere.

I finished a book on the history of football, and I picked up something that I never thought about. You would be astounded by how few people attended college through the 1940s. Maybe the boom that began in the 1950s had to do with post WW2 GI Bill; in any case, attendance took off and never looked back, and later became an expectation - like an extension of HS. I suppose degree creep looks like an improvement to some, and a cheapening of the system to another part of us. Quality and quantity often prove to be inversely related.

My son is learning how to sew at his middle school right now. He gets to woodwork next term. I'm glad they're giving him those opportunities. I got to do shop and woodworking. These were so useful and so fun.

As for the bolded part: degree creep SUCKS. There's no reason to push degrees so hard except that some businesses want to use the University system as a replacement for what they used to do in the form of job training.

I'm not your traditional modern educator (but y'all know what).

Reactions: hog88 and AM64

VN Store

Back