Tailgating for Ole Miss game

deezvols

4* lurker
I’m bringing a few buddies who happen to be Ole Miss graduates to experience everything UT game day has to offer this weekend. I was hoping to find a good tailgating spot and enjoy the whole day there. Any suggestions?

No real advice, because I’ve been doing my own thing for a decade and don’t know much about other options, but if you come by G10, we should be in full effect!

No real advice, because I’ve been doing my own thing for a decade and don’t know much about other options, but if you come by G10, we should be in full effect!
Thanks for the invite!! I've always been too reserved to attempt to join someone else's tailgate.

Neyland will be loud and rocking... if you can talk after the game you havent given your all.

Thanks for the invite!! I've always been too reserved to attempt to join someone else's tailgate.

I can assure you that you’ll make plenty of friends, and we will be welcoming (even to visiting fans). I’m always happy to host first-timers. And we have 30-40 people any given game

Reactions: deezvols
To all visitors coming to Knoxville for the first time or returning, here is a quick reference for some of the things to do and where to stay. This info has been compiled from members' posts here at VolNation.

Hotels:
(There are more hotels in Knoxville and it's surrounding areas but these are a good place to start.)
Four Points Sheraton/Cumberland House - White Ave
Hilton Downtown - W. Church Ave
Hampton Inn - W. Main St
Holiday Inn @ Conv. Center - Henley St

-->More Hotels

* If you want to stay downtown, most everywhere requires two night minimum booking.
* Turkey Creek area offers shuttle service to and from the game.

Tailgaiting and Restaurants:
Fraternity row
The Old City
Calhouns down on the river
The Roaming Gnome on The Strip ($1 drinks from 9-10)
Cool beans and Hannahs
The Copper Cellar
The Sunspot (on Cumberland)
Old College Inn
Long Branch Saloon (on campus)
Ye Olde Steak House (on Chapman hwy)
The Tin Roof (or whatever the old o'charley's is going to be)
Toddy's Backdoor is a UT landmark... 3 miles west of campus on Kingston Pike(cumberland)
Half Barrel (Solid drink specials from 4 to 10 everyday. 2.50 wells, dollar off premiums, dollar off all beers, and a special 2 dollar pint of the day plus the best 25 cent wings you can imagine)

--->It's Tailgate Time In Tennessee (Tailgating Service)
--->More Eating and Drinking

Traditions to check out and general advice:
Vol Navy next to the stadium
The VolWalk a couple hours before the game
Parade of the UT Band into the stadium
Running through the "T" before kickoff

* Get out early Friday night if you want a table anywhere.
* If you plan to tailgate stake your area out early as well.You are much better off and will have more fun if you just find an established tailgate to party with.
* Check out the river area before the game!

---> 2010 Update about Vol Walk and Neyland Stadium(News Article)

You can read up more and post questions here on existing threads:
-->Thread 1
-->Thread 2
-->Thread 3

Parking/Shuttle:
-->Campus Map(pdf)
-->Downtown/Old City Map
-->City offering free parking downtown on game days(News Article)
-->UT Football Shuttle(pdf)

Seating:
-->Virtual Neyland

Ticket Questions
-->Forum-Tennessee Vols Tickets

More General Information:
-->Welcome to Game Day at Neyland Stadium
This is a link to the official UT Athletics site, lots of info here.

Hopefully this is helpful for those coming to Knoxville, enjoy your visit and remember...

GO VOLS!!!

So it’s cool to walk up to a party of tailgaters and take part in their food and drink? If so, what the hell have I been doing

Hey, just trying to be nice man. I wouldn’t advise just walking up to any group and helping yourself. But I will say that if some nice folks walked up to mine, I’d show the same hospitality that I’d want them to show me. Especially if it’s their first time at Neyland.

So it’s cool to walk up to a party of tailgaters and take part in their food and drink? If so, what the hell have I been doing
If you don't have a tailgate setup, you can certainly approach some folks, just be polite and ask. I'm from Georgia, so we never knew a ton about tailgating in Knoxville, but the 2016 South Carolina game, we met a couple from west Knoxville that had the complete setup. We walked up with our beer and chairs and just asked if we could hang out. They told us it was cool, and even offered food to us. 6 years later and we're all pretty good friends now and of course repaid the favor the next season. We tailgate together every game we go to now.

If you don't have a tailgate setup, you can certainly approach some folks, just be polite and ask. I'm from Georgia, so we never knew a ton about tailgating in Knoxville, but the 2016 South Carolina game, we met a couple from west Knoxville that had the complete setup. We walked up with our beer and chairs and just asked if we could hang out. They told us it was cool, and even offered food to us. 6 years later and we're all pretty good friends now and of course repaid the favor the next season. We tailgate together every game we go to now.
I try to host at least one group of first-timers every year. Last home game we had a great family from Indiana who’d never been to neyland before. Had a fantastic time

Reactions: NO SIR EEE

VN Store

Back