Heupel owns Kiffin

You misunderstand. Not comparing FAU to Ole Miss. Comparing FAU-UCF to Ole Miss-Tennessee. It's all about relativity.

Those two Heupel-Kiffin matches were G5 to G5. Peer to peer. Roughly equal talent.

Today, we have P5 to P5, SEC to SEC. Peer to peer. Roughly equal talent.

When the on-field talent is pretty even, coaching comes to the fore as a differentiator. And our coach has beaten their coach both times they faced off with pretty even on-field talent.

It's a bit of history worth remembering.

Go Vols!
Not all G5s are the same. UCF was much better than those FAU teams.

Reactions: BeardedVol
I thought Lane Kiffin was supposed to be the football savant whose power came from his pot belly (at the time he had a nice one). Players didn't matter right?

No, I get it. It is not UT and Ole Miss. But it does show CJH has straight up smoked Kiffin in the past. I expect more of the same on Saturday.
I hope we win by 100 but to compare a coach that inherited a 13-0 team to one that inherited a 3-9 team is a little absurd.

Not all G5s are the same. UCF was much better than those FAU teams.
I don't know about that. In 2018, sure. But in 2019, UCF went 10-3 while FAU went 11-3. They were two G5 programs playing a mostly G5 schedule with mostly G5 level players, and they had very similar outcomes.

Sounds pretty balanced to me. Except that UCF led by Heup whompted the snot out of FAU led by Lane, 48-14.

I'm thinking coaching had quite a bit to do with that.

And don't try to give any lame Lane excuses like "he inherited an 0-12 team while Josh inherited a 15-0 team," it was Lane's third friggin season as head coach. You own the results by then.

Go Vols! Embrace the hype!

Wow, 80%. I’m more pessimistic and here is why:

Their offense is quick and Corral makes very quick decisions. He reads coverages well and finds open guys. Going after him is going to cost us. I think the strategy should be contain more than blitz.

I don’t think they will get to the outside as easy as they are able to on Arkansas. But I worry that Corral’s mobility will give us fits.
IMHO, you have to limit everyone else and force him to operate in the pocket. He may get some yardage passing but like you say keep it all in front of the secondary.

Against Ark, he had 287 yds passing. I believe all but 90 came on 3 busted coverage big plays. He's difficult... I don't think their WR's are as difficult without Mingo. They have two and really one guy that's "scary". IMHO, I don't think their receivers are as good as MU's 1-5.

Running... the Vols can't give him straight lanes to escape through. He needs to go lateral before getting out of the pocket. Bring pressure only selectively. Maybe spy him quite a bit.

I am expecting OM to eat us up in the middle of the field. I’m more worried about that and Corral’s legs than the big plays.
I think forcing him to the center of the field in the passing game is exactly what you want. You don't want guys running wide open down the sideline like Ark allowed or easy throws to the outside. If you force him to the middle then you have an opportunity to get mistakes. He's been great this year but last year he actually threw 6 picks in a single game. That's also where you can force them to produce extended drives... hopefully without a lot of rushing success.

I expect to see us with more penalties this game due to their quick tempo. Expect a few more PI calls as well.
Could happen but both of those should favor UT. Crowd noise will make their pre-snap penalties more likely... and they've been more prone to committing those kinds of penalties of late.

UT's WR's match up better vs their DB's than vice versa. OM has Drummond then Sanders. Mingo is out. Those 2 guys account for 150 yds per game combined. Mingo was averaging 98 ypg before being injured. He was probably their best overall WR. The next most productive WR on their team averages one reception and 13 yds per game. UT's production is more spread out... and honestly, UT is just flat out faster at WR than OM.

We have been prone to having some quarters of football where we play dead. Just one of those Saturday is going to hurt us.
But why? UT's dead qtrs in the last two games have been after they started running clock. I don't think and definitely hope that Heupel will not take the foot off the gas in this game regardless of the score. OM is that dangerous.

I do think our run game will shine. I think we run it early and often for the reasons you mentioned. Hopefully that will set up some big plays for us.

Preventing big early down plays will be critical.
Getting the big early down defensive play IMO will be more important. Let them have 1st downs. Don't let them get the homerun TD... and put them behind the sticks so you can get off the field.

Need to pace the game so our defensive front is not drained by the third quarter.
I think that's a trap that would lead to those "dead quarters" you mentioned. I think UT needs to run as fast as they possibly can and wear OM's thin and relatively untalented front 7 out. On the other side, UT needs to alternate DL's every possession... and IMO go three deep. Blakely-Butler-Simmons, Tremblay-Bumphus-Terry(assuming his health), Solomon-Garland-Thomas.

Yes. There's a talent difference between those groups but keeping guys fresh is more important IMO than absolute talent.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
BTW, UT with Jackson especially has played the RPO WR screens very well. That's a critical piece of OM's O just like it is UT's.

IMHO, you have to limit everyone else and force him to operate in the pocket. He may get some yardage passing but like you say keep it all in front of the secondary.

Against Ark, he had 287 yds passing. I believe all but 90 came on 3 busted coverage big plays. He's difficult... I don't think their WR's are as difficult without Mingo. They have two and really one guy that's "scary". IMHO, I don't think their receivers are as good as MU's 1-5.

Running... the Vols can't give him straight lanes to escape through. He needs to go lateral before getting out of the pocket. Bring pressure only selectively. Maybe spy him quite a bit.

I think forcing him to the center of the field in the passing game is exactly what you want. You don't want guys running wide open down the sideline like Ark allowed or easy throws to the outside. If you force him to the middle then you have an opportunity to get mistakes. He's been great this year but last year he actually threw 6 picks in a single game. That's also where you can force them to produce extended drives... hopefully without a lot of rushing success.

Could happen but both of those should favor UT. Crowd noise will make their pre-snap penalties more likely... and they've been more prone to committing those kinds of penalties of late.

UT's WR's match up better vs their DB's than vice versa. OM has Drummond then Sanders. Mingo is out. Those 2 guys account for 150 yds per game combined. Mingo was averaging 98 ypg before being injured. He was probably their best overall WR. The next most productive WR on their team averages one reception and 13 yds per game. UT's production is more spread out... and honestly, UT is just flat out faster at WR than OM.

But why? UT's dead qtrs in the last two games have been after they started running clock. I don't think and definitely hope that Heupel will not take the foot off the gas in this game regardless of the score. OM is that dangerous.

Getting the big early down defensive play IMO will be more important. Let them have 1st downs. Don't let them get the homerun TD... and put them behind the sticks so you can get off the field.

I think that's a trap that would lead to those "dead quarters" you mentioned. I think UT needs to run as fast as they possibly can and wear OM's thin and relatively untalented front 7 out. On the other side, UT needs to alternate DL's every possession... and IMO go three deep. Blakely-Butler-Simmons, Tremblay-Bumphus-Terry(assuming his health), Solomon-Garland-Thomas.

Yes. There's a talent difference between those groups but keeping guys fresh is more important IMO than absolute talent.

I think we agree on more here than disagree.

A few points:
executing early down plays will limit their opportunities for going for it on 4th, which will take some wind out of their sails.

when I say pace the game, I don’t necessarily mean change the pace we play. I’m thinking like that first offensive drive against USC. A sustained drive down the field that ate up clock time. We should be able to do that with their run D. I don’t like our odds if we are going into the fourth quarter in a shootout, especially if our D has been on the field a lot.

Limiting Corral’s ability to do damage and eliminating big plays will be key to winning this game. Spy him, contain him…but don’t send the house too often. Corral will likely find the open man.

Reactions: sjt18
I think we agree on more here than disagree.

A few points:
executing early down plays will limit their opportunities for going for it on 4th, which will take some wind out of their sails.

when I say pace the game, I don’t necessarily mean change the pace we play. I’m thinking like that first offensive drive against USC. A sustained drive down the field that ate up clock time. We should be able to do that with their run D. I don’t like our odds if we are going into the fourth quarter in a shootout, especially if our D has been on the field a lot.

Limiting Corral’s ability to do damage and eliminating big plays will be key to winning this game. Spy him, contain him…but don’t send the house too often. Corral will likely find the open man.
Hopefully I wasn't disagreeable. You have pretty well thought out ideas based on good information. I'm more influenced by what looks like a defensive advantage for UT... and maybe a coaching advantage. But I like kicking things back and forth with people who use facts and good rationale for their opinions.

Reactions: DC_Vol
You misunderstand. Not comparing FAU to Ole Miss. Comparing FAU-UCF to Ole Miss-Tennessee. It's all about relativity.

... Go Vols!
It is theory ... on Saturday we will be dealing with reality. I hope Saturday's results prove you are Einstein reborn.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFL-82-JP
FAU is many legions behind UCF in all aspects. Not exactly a fair comparison.
I posted the talent composite according to 247. There's as much of a difference between UT and OM as there was between UCF and FAU. Could that difference have been the coaching?

Hopefully I wasn't disagreeable. You have pretty well thought out ideas based on good information. I'm more influenced by what looks like a defensive advantage for UT... and maybe a coaching advantage. But I like kicking things back and forth with people who use facts and good rationale for their opinions.

No you weren’t disagreeable. It’s just the final outcome…I hope you are correct!

Reactions: sjt18
I don't know about that. In 2018, sure. But in 2019, UCF went 10-3 while FAU went 11-3. They were two G5 programs playing a mostly G5 schedule with mostly G5 level players, and they had very similar outcomes.

Sounds pretty balanced to me. Except that UCF led by Heup whompted the snot out of FAU led by Lane, 48-14.

I'm thinking coaching had quite a bit to do with that.

And don't try to give any lame Lane excuses like "he inherited an 0-12 team while Josh inherited a 15-0 team," it was Lane's third friggin season as head coach. You own the results by then.

Go Vols! Embrace the hype!
For fun I went and looked up those 2 schedules, SoS UCF was 58, FAU was 77... and that was with FAU playing the #1 SoS team to open that season, Ohio State, so it seems even that 77th ranking was propped up considerably. UCF beat Stanford on the road and had a very narrow loss at Pitt, and narrow conference losses at Tulsa and at Cincy. FAU lost to the Marshall team UCF beat in their bowl game that year, and other than the OSU game didn't really have additional games of note that my admittedly flawed glancing over could pick out. They did win their bowl game, which was essentially a home game, the Boca Raton Bowl against SMU. Early bird specials on the house for everyone in Del Boca Vista!

I am not sure what my point is with all that, heh. Just figured I would share since I spent about 45 minutes down in that rabbit hole. For the record I hope you're right and we lay it on OM in what I expect to be a raucous and rowdy home crowd Saturday night.

Heard this am on TV that someone got a hold of 650,000 emails from Grudes over an 8 year period. How that hell can that happen? And wouldn't it be great locker room material if we could have all of Kiffin's emails when he left UT & VN at the alter? Imagine how much more fired up the team and fans would be? And FYI, if someone reading this hacked Gruden's emails, I might see fit to reward you for researching Kiffs emails. Just sayin'.....
Why would the team care about what Kiffin said 11 years ago? Most players were in elementary school…

September 21, 2018 UCF W 56–36 FAU in Orlando

September 7, 2019 UCF W 48–14 FAU in Boca Raton

Heupel knows Kiffin. He has beaten his teams before and will again this year. Go Vols!
I hope you’re right but the previous games coached between the two coaches is Irrelevant to the game Saturday.

What CJH did against Lane at FAU doesn't have any bearing on our game this weekend. I expect this to be a SHOOTOUT but with our defense I think we might pull this off but I wouldn't touch a betting line with a ten foot poll on this game!
I have a feeling that Kiffin will expose some holes in our defense. But I also get the feeling that our offense will do the same to the Mississippi defense.
This could very well come down to who has the ball last.
GBO!!

Reactions: VolunteerNut

VN Store

Back