Heupel owns Kiffin

Wasn’t UCF a superior team talent wise in each of these matchups?
I thought Lane Kiffin was supposed to be the football savant whose power came from his pot belly (at the time he had a nice one). Players didn't matter right?

No, I get it. It is not UT and Ole Miss. But it does show CJH has straight up smoked Kiffin in the past. I expect more of the same on Saturday.

I think it is very important that a coach has confidence that he understands the thinking of the opponent. Of course, that goes both ways, but it is better to have won in the past.

Exactly. UCF was a top 20 team, from a bigger Conference. The ONLY time we heard of FL AT was when Howard Snellenberger started their program. (for yall born before 2000)

That 2019 FAU team was 10-3 and CUSA champs. They played Ohio State to a closer margin and won their bowl game. Beating them by 34 is impressive. That FAU team/season landed Kiffin the Ole Miss job.

I dont know that comparing those FAU teams with OM is apples to apples, but I hope you're right
You misunderstand. Not comparing FAU to Ole Miss. Comparing FAU-UCF to Ole Miss-Tennessee. It's all about relativity.

Those two Heupel-Kiffin matches were G5 to G5. Peer to peer. Roughly equal talent.

Today, we have P5 to P5, SEC to SEC. Peer to peer. Roughly equal talent.

When the on-field talent is pretty even, coaching comes to the fore as a differentiator. And our coach has beaten their coach both times they faced off with pretty even on-field talent.

It's a bit of history worth remembering.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
What CJH did against Lane at FAU doesn't have any bearing on our game this weekend.
Do what? You don't think having studied his tendencies and schemes previously will help prepare for this game?

I expect this to be a SHOOTOUT but with our defense I think we might pull this off but I wouldn't touch a betting line with a ten foot poll on this game!
I don't gamble but me neither. There's even a possibility that both teams try to slow down and protect their D leading to a much more defensive game than is currently expected.

The only outcome that would surprise me is if OM consistently slows UT's O while theirs runs wild. Their D has not played as well as USCe's. Arkansas really exposed their run D. Arkansas rushed for more against their D than UF did against UT... quite a bit more if that tells you anything.

Reactions: 24/7vol
Heard this am on TV that someone got a hold of 650,000 emails from Grudes over an 8 year period. How that hell can that happen? And wouldn't it be great locker room material if we could have all of Kiffin's emails when he left UT & VN at the alter? Imagine how much more fired up the team and fans would be? And FYI, if someone reading this hacked Gruden's emails, I might see fit to reward you for researching Kiffs emails. Just sayin'.....

Heard this am on TV that someone got a hold of 650,000 emails from Grudes over an 8 year period. How that hell can that happen? And wouldn't it be great locker room material if we could have all of Kiffin's emails when he left UT & VN at the alter? Imagine how much more fired up the team and fans would be? And FYI, if someone reading this hacked Gruden's emails, I might see fit to reward you for researching Kiffs emails. Just sayin'.....

How does he have time to send 220+ emails a day?

If I were putting odds on UT winning this game, I’d set it at around 40%.

Curious where you’d set it?
Honestly... and I'm fighting "optimism" now similar to before MU and USCe... I'm around 80% right now. Their run D is absolutely awful. Maybe better than MU. Not as good as USCe. UT's run D is decent. Comparing worst games, OM was trampled for 350 yds by Arkansas. UT gave up 283 to UF. I don't think Arkansas compares well to UF in offensive talent or as a rushing offense. That seems to confirm that UT is a better D and much better run D.

Both teams' offensive success has depended on running the ball so far. Both are very good O's. UT has performed considerably better on D.

A more obscure stat is that UT is 2nd in the nation in TFL's and first in the SEC. Getting Ole Miss behind the sticks could inhibit their run game and give the Vols a pretty big advantage.

You misunderstand. Not comparing FAU to Ole Miss. Comparing FAU-UCF to Ole Miss-Tennessee. It's all about relativity.

Those two Heupel-Kiffin matches were G5 to G5. Peer to peer. Roughly equal talent.

Today, we have P5 to P5, SEC to SEC. Peer to peer. Roughly equal talent.

When the on-field talent is pretty even, coaching comes to the fore as a differentiator. And our coach has beaten their coach both times they faced off with pretty even on-field talent.

It's a bit of history worth remembering.

Go Vols!

Let's hope the trend continues. Go Big Orange!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Honestly... and I'm fighting "optimism" now similar to before MU and USCe... I'm around 80% right now. Their run D is absolutely awful. Maybe better than MU. Not as good as USCe. UT's run D is decent. Comparing worst games, OM was trampled for 350 yds by Arkansas. UT gave up 283 to UF. I don't think Arkansas compares well to UF in offensive talent or as a rushing offense. That seems to confirm that UT is a better D and much better run D.

Both teams' offensive success has depended on running the ball so far. Both are very good O's. UT has performed considerably better on D.

A more obscure stat is that UT is 2nd in the nation in TFL's and first in the SEC. Getting Ole Miss behind the sticks could inhibit their run game and give the Vols a pretty big advantage.

Wow, 80%. I’m more pessimistic and here is why:

Their offense is quick and Corral makes very quick decisions. He reads coverages well and finds open guys. Going after him is going to cost us. I think the strategy should be contain more than blitz.

I don’t think they will get to the outside as easy as they are able to on Arkansas. But I worry that Corral’s mobility will give us fits.

I am expecting OM to eat us up in the middle of the field. I’m more worried about that and Corral’s legs than the big plays.

I expect to see us with more penalties this game due to their quick tempo. Expect a few more PI calls as well.

We have been prone to having some quarters of football where we play dead. Just one of those Saturday is going to hurt us.

I do think our run game will shine. I think we run it early and often for the reasons you mentioned. Hopefully that will set up some big plays for us.

Preventing big early down plays will be critical.

Need to pace the game so our defensive front is not drained by the third quarter.

VN Store

Back