West Virginia transfer C - Matt McCormick (Vol)

They start around 4 for the scrimmages. yesterday was first group and they normally go 4 groups. I know they are going today but don't know for sure after that. Kirby has thrown first day each week and I have not been able to make it up yet. I know they are starting to work on some situational stuff which is when it gets fun to me. Put guys in situations and see how they react as a hitter or pitcher. Maybe not so much for the players when they put you in with bases loaded and no outs and tell you not to give anything up. Or put a hitter in with runners on 2nd and third and have to get a guy in and pitchers know it. But I think that is where you earn your right to be put in that situation in the spring.

They start around 4 for the scrimmages. yesterday was first group and they normally go 4 groups. I know they are going today but don't know for sure after that. Kirby has thrown first day each week and I have not been able to make it up yet. I know they are starting to work on some situational stuff which is when it gets fun to me. Put guys in situations and see how they react as a hitter or pitcher. Maybe not so much for the players when they put you in with bases loaded and no outs and tell you not to give anything up. Or put a hitter in with runners on 2nd and third and have to get a guy in and pitchers know it. But I think that is where you earn your right to be put in that situation in the spring.

I'm hearing Chase Burns gave up a dinger but did pitch well. Also hearing Ben Joyce pitched for his first time since coming back from Tommy John, struck out a few, fastball hit 102 mph.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Chase and Ben are throwing it well. It has been said that Ben could possibly be over 103 this spring. Throws 101 with very little effort. 6 guys who can throw 100 is amazing on one staff. Should be fun to watch.
Who are the other 2? Burns, Joyce, Blade, Halv

You shouldn't read this board if your feelings are already hurt. As a former parent of a player, you better have thick skin to be on here. Nothing is said that isn't true, but if he has a bad night, you'll hear it!!
Haha. Truth. We lived it! But it’s all good and part of it….

Reactions: txbo
I apologize. It should have been 5 guys not 6. Big fingers and not proofreading. Dollander is number 5. They say he is doing good also. Four of those will compete for three weekend starter spots and I’m guessing the other will join Joyce as a closer.

A question out of curiosity, Preacherman: Why wouldn't the fourth one start in the midweek games?

A question out of curiosity, Preacherman: Why wouldn't the fourth one start in the midweek games?
They very well could however if they are competing for a weekend start they may be too valuable in a relieving roll during SEC play…….
The weekday starter tends to work well for a guy that needs the innings to develop into a Weekend Guy in a year or so.

That may be the case early. I’m just guessing they will use fourth guy for closer on weekend and allow lots of guys to throw midweeks as they have done in the past. If these guys don’t get to throw midweeks they will not get to throw at all. I’m guessing 8/9 guys will throw most of weekend games. Rest will throw midweeks and some of 8/9 will get a few innings in midweeks. Just my guess.

If the pitching crew remains healthy, watch out. To think that they added 4 top notch pitchers that will log SEC weekend innings is incredible.

Chase Dollander from Ga. Southern (and I heard yesterday from a player he is doing very well)
Chase Burns, on the MLB draft board out of HS throwing over 95
Seth Halvorsen from Missouri who is also showing well.
Ben Joyce, consistently hitting 97 - 100 with a few touches above 100 and a few off speed pitches

All of the above are 6'3" - 6'5" and in that 220 - 230 lbs range. I hear Joyce is a beast when it comes to strength & conditioning, especially at 6'5", 225 lbs.

Am I missing any new pitchers?

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I think it's awesome we are using the short lived McCormick's thread to discuss everything but him

So true dtmtn! A new thread for Vols pitching would be appropriate. This will be a big story this year. Baseball America and other publications will jump on this staff!

They very well could however if they are competing for a weekend start they may be too valuable in a relieving roll during SEC play…….
The weekday starter tends to work well for a guy that needs the innings to develop into a Weekend Guy in a year or so.

Makes sense. Thanks.

We have 5(!!!) guys that throw 100+??? That is just unreal. To see that one ONE team, particularly a college team is ridiculous.

I’m not sure any of the MLB teams left in the playoffs have 5 guys that can do that lol. I know my Red Sox only have 1.

We have 5(!!!) guys that throw 100+??? That is just unreal. To see that one ONE team, particularly a college team is ridiculous.

I’m not sure any of the MLB teams left in the playoffs have 5 guys that can do that lol. I know my Red Sox only have 1.
My Braves have 0, and havent had one in a few years.

Serious question, as I am new over here, is that because there are so few that can do it or do teams just not use many 100+ pitchers for other reasons?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back