Josh Heupel Monday press conference: Ole Miss week

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

Coach is rocking the black and orange today. :)

Notes

>We need everybody in orange and white this weekend at the stadium. Be there early and be loud.

>We (Tennessee and Ole Miss) are the top two teams in the Power 5 in plays per minute.

>Analytics is a part of what we do. We started looking into it when I first became a coach and we still use it. You still go with situational football to make the final decision.

>Every offense is different because of your personnel from year to year.

>Juwan Mitchell, of the guys who were out last week, he's the one guy who will be out this week. He had shoulder surgery and will be out the rest of the season. All of the other guys who were out last week will have an opportunity to be back this week.

>Good teams and good players get better as you go through the season.

>Brandon Turnage has had great work ethic. He battled a little injury during training camp. He's continued to invest and has the ability to play multiple spots.

>Our defense continues to get better. We're better in our communication. Our font seven has a better grasp on technique.

>Regarding the second half, a lot of ownership on coaches for things we didn't do.

>Both Turnage and Theo Jackson have the ability to move to multiple spots and perform at a high level.

>I've been a part of tempo going back to 2008 at Oklahoma. It's a form of pressure that you can apply to a defense. It has the ability to stress a defense, as does our spacing, which takes some pressure off the front five.

>Cedric Tillman really continued to grow during spring ball. He made a real jump in who he was as a player. When JaVonta Payton got here we thought he had the opportunity to help us. Velus Jones had a fantastic spring. He got hurt early and missed almost all of training camp. Those guys have played really well. I feel like their best football is still ahead.

>After the game I went and visited with some recruits we had on campus.

>At times our downfield blocking has been really good. Some of those big plays happen because our skill guys on the outside are doing their job.

>On checkering Neyland, I'm into whatever our fans want to do on Saturday night for this one. We need to make it loud and difficult for them to communicate.

/end

Last edited:

Notes

>We need everybody in orange and white this weekend at the stadium. Be there early and be loud.

>We are the top two teams in the Power 5 in plays per minute.

>Analytics is a part of what we do. We started looking into it when I first became a coach and we still use it. You still go with situational football to make the final decision.

>Juwan Mitchell, of the guys who were out last week, he's the one guy who will be out this week. He had shoulder surgery and will be out the rest of the season. All of the other guys who were out last week will have an opportunity to be back this week.

>Brandon Turnage has had great work ethic. He battled a little injury during training camp. He's continued to invest and has the ability to play multiple spots.

>Our defense continues to get better. We're better in our communication. Our font seven has a better grasp on technique.

>On the second half, a lot of ownership on coaches on things we didn't do.

>Both Turnage and Theo Jackson have the ability to move to multiple spots and perform at a high level.

>I've been a part of tempo going back to 2008 at Oklahoma. It's a form of pressure that you can apply to a defense. It has the ability to stress a defense, as does our spacing, which takes some pressure off the front five.

>Cedric Tillman really continued to grow during spring ball. He made a real jump in who he was as a player. When JaVonta Payton got here we thought he had the opportunity to help us. Velus Jones had a fantastic spring. He got hurt early and missed almost all of training camp. Those guys have played really well. I feel like their best football is still ahead.

>At times our downfield blocking has been really good. Some of those big plays happen because our skill guys on the outside are doing their job.

>On checkering Neyland, I'm into whatever our fans want to do on Saturday night for this one. We need to make it loud and difficult for them to communicate.

/end

The comments about changes depending on personnel just make me giddy.

Thanks Freak, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the questions. Wonder if the members of the media have been being coached up.
You'll notice this often in situations where leaders are put into question and answer situations.
The sharper, more coherent, personable leaders will attract the smarter, more quality questions.

Case in point - I once worked for a coke plant (steel mill metallurgical coke, not the drink) and we had a plant VP that was very smart, very coherent and personable. In his plant quarterly meetings he got asked very relevant and intelligent questions...things like where the business was headed, what can we do on our level to contribute, etc. Then a change in corporate management came and he was replaced with a new guy. This new guy was less than sharp and in his meetings he was met with questions that seemed overly stupid. He was literally asked the address of the place one time!!!

I just heard a couple of misdirects that I absolutely loved to hear. The guy is the best head coach we have had in a long time. Also, he is learning how to work a presser. The guy is learning, and he is doing it quickly. Don't get excited.6EA6B7EE-73C2-4056-B7A7-1DDAFE71D861.jpeg

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

>Regarding the second half, a lot of ownership on coaches for things we didn't do.

Look he is promoting the ownership culture including the coaches. Great move.

He is ok with Checker Neyland! Great move again. He just keeps pulling out Aces!!!

Josh Heupel always reminds me of an owl. Shape of his face, especially his eyebrows. Heh.

View attachment 401789

Sorry JP but he reminds me of a weasel. But if he continues to win then he's a handsome dude not that I find dudes handsome but I have to admit I was totally wrong about this hire. I hope he continues to make me eat crow. Yummy !!!! lol

Sorry JP but he reminds me of a weasel. But if he continues to win then he's a handsome dude not that I find dudes handsome but I have to admit I was totally wrong about this hire. I hope he continues to make me eat crow. Yummy !!!! lol

giphy136540.gif

You the man JP!!!!!!!! Always my dude, Great poster pal!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
You'll notice this often in situations where leaders are put into question and answer situations.
The sharper, more coherent, personable leaders will attract the smarter, more quality questions.

Case in point - I once worked for a coke plant (steel mill metallurgical coke, not the drink) and we had a plant VP that was very smart, very coherent and personable. In his plant quarterly meetings he got asked very relevant and intelligent questions...things like where the business was headed, what can we do on our level to contribute, etc. Then a change in corporate management came and he was replaced with a new guy. This new guy was less than sharp and in his meetings he was met with questions that seemed overly stupid. He was literally asked the address of the place one time!!!
That's because you are afraid to ask a stupid question of someone who is smart. They will embarrass you, even if they do it with a light touch.

Reactions: IndianaVol
That's because you are afraid to ask a stupid question of someone who is smart. They will embarrass you, even if they do it with a light touch.
Great point and that is reflected in the Pruitt vs Heupel situation.
Media wasn't afraid to ask Pruitt because they knew he wasn't savy enough to answer it correctly.
They are more so afraid of Heupel because they know he will answer it and embarrass them.

They are locked down by danny white man. coach Hype just found himself here, and he is doing an OUTSTANDING job. The Dude is learning pretty freaking quickly what he is looking at, and white is giving him the room to do it. I like coach Hype, I think we got lucky. Danny likes to play with the antagonists and trollers. He loves it.

Reactions: butchna

Notes

>We (Tennessee and Ole Miss) are the top two teams in the Power 5 in plays per minute.

/end

I appreciate anyone who will take the time to make notes. I can't always watch the videos between work and the kids.

VN Store

Back