The Athletic - “The Worst Coaching Search Ever?”

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
From David Ubben (this isn’t random, The Athletic is doing a series on college football coaching searches).

Article: Inside the 2017 search that turned the coaching carousel into a carnival

Nothing completely shocking and seems to be written from a Currie perspective but some interesting stuff.

1) We met and talked with Chip Kelly but was never offered the job.

2) Currie talked with Dave Doeren BEFORE Schiano Sunday.

3) Booster Charlie Anderson talked to JOHN HARBAUGH about the job.

4) According to a source, one head coach wouldn’t take the job because of Fulmer: “And former Vols head coach Philip Fulmer was exerting his influence behind the scenes, attempting to “advise” Davenport and ultimately wrestle control away from Currie — who served as Tennessee’s executive assistant athletic director when Fulmer was fired in November 2008. Fulmer, too, was making calls to candidates before Currie did.

“There was, in my opinion, a group working to discredit John Currie,” a source said.

That source said at least one head coach who was interviewed for the Tennessee job said he wouldn’t take it because of Fulmer’s meddling and the feeling that, with Fulmer pulling strings, the new coach wouldn’t get a fair chance to succeed.

5) Tennessee had a meeting set up with Dan Mullen but he took the Florida job before the meeting. That is when Currie moved to finish it up with Schiano.

6) I don’t know why but Brohm was never mentioned as a serious candidate in the article or mentioned how Hyams broke the news that Brohm was hired.

7) Part of the issue with Currie going to LA? No Wi-Fi on his flight to meet with Leach. He also didn’t check his phone and text Beverly Davenport back because he was interviewing Leach.

From David Ubben (this isn’t random, The Athletic is doing a series on college football coaching searches).

Article: Inside the 2017 search that turned the coaching carousel into a carnival

Nothing completely shocking and seems to be written from a Currie perspective but some interesting stuff.

4) According to a source, one head coach wouldn’t take the job because of Fulmer: “And former Vols head coach Philip Fulmer was exerting his influence behind the scenes, attempting to “advise” Davenport and ultimately wrestle control away from Currie — who served as Tennessee’s executive assistant athletic director when Fulmer was fired in November 2008. Fulmer, too, was making calls to candidates before Currie did.

“There was, in my opinion, a group working to discredit John Currie,” a source said.

That source said at least one head coach who was interviewed for the Tennessee job said he wouldn’t take it because of Fulmer’s meddling and the feeling that, with Fulmer pulling strings, the new coach wouldn’t get a fair chance to succeed.

5) Tennessee had a meeting set up with Dan Mullen but he took the Florida job before the meeting. That is when Currie moved to finish it up with Schiano.

6) I don’t know why but Brohm was never mentioned as a serious candidate in the article or mentioned how Hyams broke the news that Brohm was hired.

7) Part of the issue with Currie going to LA? No Wi-Fi on his flight to meet with Leach. He also didn’t check his phone and text Beverly Davenport back because he was interviewing Leach.

Fulmer is as devious as they come.

There will be some growing pains, but I think the move to get away from the booster power struggle will be the best thing UT ever did. The Haslam and Anderson battles behind the scenes with Fulmer, etc. have been killing the program. Hopefully, Danny White will be able to do as he pleases. We shall see.

There will be some growing pains, but I think the move to get away from the booster power struggle will be the best thing UT ever did. The Haslam and Anderson battles behind the scenes with Fulmer, etc. have been killing the program. Hopefully, Danny White will be able to do as he pleases. We shall see.
Yup, we finally see some beginnings of progress in the program. HANDS OFF BY THE ADMIN AND BOOSTERS PLEASE. Don’t screw this up, I BEG of you

Is it normal business practice that in a coaching search, boosters are reaching out to those they would like to have as coach? I would think maybe they would contact the AD with a list they would like to see in the job, but to actively be contacting them? Seems to me like that would be the epitome of meddling.

Thanks for the recruits and the 98 championship Phil. But you should have stayed gone after 2008. Your legacy is tarnished now. How anyone could interview Cornbread and believe he was a great coaching candidate is beyond me. Even if there wasn't a lot of interest in the job after the Schiano debacle, Pruitt was by far the worst possible choice he could have made.

Thanks for the recruits and the 98 championship Phil. But you should have stayed gone after 2008. Your legacy is tarnished now. How anyone could interview Cornbread and believe he was a great coaching candidate is beyond me. Even if there wasn't a lot of interest in the job after the Schiano debacle, Pruitt was by far the worst possible choice he could have made.
Not tarnished. He won a national championship. Unless he pokes a girl in the butt while telling me he was trying to spend time with his wife and grand children, then he will go down as not a great AD. But that’s all. He owns one of our two national championships.

This whole thing is probably more sour grapes from Curry. He always was Haslams puppet. Schiano wasn’t targeted by anyone as a head coaching hire except Haslam for some weird reason. Schiano destroyed the Bucs in just a few short years, no one wants him. If you look at his current record with Rutgers and the pirates record at Miss State we are better off now. Curry thought he finally was getting his moment in the sun and it turned into a storm. He is still angry. We are better off without people like him.

Not tarnished. He won a national championship. Unless he pokes a girl in the butt while telling me he was trying to spend time with his wife and grand children, then he will go down as not a great AD. But that’s all. He owns one of our two national championships.

We have six national championships.

I’m sure if you’re the age of 35 then yes you’ll never forget what Fulmer did 95-99, but for a 28 year old fan I’ll never forgive Fulmer for what he has done to the program as a coach and AD.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say Pruitt was the worse, but he surly had to be close.

Is it normal business practice that in a coaching search, boosters are reaching out to those they would like to have as coach? I would think maybe they would contact the AD with a list they would like to see in the job, but to actively be contacting them? Seems to me like that would be the epitome of meddling.

Yes it is, but usually they’re reigned in. If not for boosters Alabama wouldn’t have hired Saban. Sometimes they are useful. But if not under control, it can get ugly (for example Texas and Miami).

So bc
We have six national championships.

I’m sure if you’re the age of 35 then yes you’ll never forget what Fulmer did 95-99, but for a 28 year old fan I’ll never forgive Fulmer for what he has done to the program as a coach and AD.
So bc you’re younger we get to forget what he’s done bc you don’t remember it. And we have two brother. We added four in the early 2000s. I guess if you’re under 30 you can’t research anything.

So bc

So bc you’re younger we get to forget what he’s done bc you don’t remember it. And we have two brother. We added four in the early 2000s. I guess if you’re under 30 you can’t research anything.

Because I’m younger I don’t have 1998. I’m sure it’s awesome. It’s not irrelevant. But for a lot of Vol fans that are younger we don’t have those memories. So you’ll have to forgive me for not bowing at the feet of Fulmer when he failed as a HC and as AD over the last 20 years and almost ruined the program forever before it was saved thanks to Donde and Randy Boyd for hiring Danny White.

And we have six national titles whenever they were added. However you want to slice those they are officially recognized by the NCAA. Not my fault you can’t remember how many national titles your supposed favorite program has 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

College football championship history
Because I’m younger I don’t have 1998. I’m sure it’s awesome. It’s not irrelevant. But for a lot of Vol fans that are younger we don’t have those memories. So you’ll have to forgive me for not bowing at the feet of Fulmer when he failed as a HC and as AD over the last 20 years and almost ruined the program forever before it was saved thanks to Donde and Randy Boyd for hiring Danny White.

And we have six national titles whenever they were added. However you want to slice those they are officially recognized by the NCAA. Not my fault you can’t remember how many national titles your supposed favorite program has 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

College football championship history

It’s two man. You believe anything someone tells you.

All schools do it.
Alabama's 12 Mythical National Championships

VN Store

Back