SIAP-Why fans shouldn’t be worried after Tennessee Vols’ rough second half against South Carolina

This is an absolutely stupid article from A-to-Z Sports which is not one bit better, in fact inferior to, the football knowledge available on Vol Nation. It is just some no-name rah rah guy trying to get clicks and views. There's not any football analysis of what was happening in the second half compared to the first. A-Z sports is full of bs. It is packaged to look like it is journalism but it's just clickbait and that's their business model

Still need to see more before we can start feeling too good about where we are as a team and a program. The jury is still out.

However, it’s hard to NOT be pleased by a 25 point win - and two dominating conference wins in a row. Haven’t had very many of those in several years.

The only people worried have apparently never watched football before and somehow don't realize how virtually every coach in football play calls with a 38-7 lead in the 2nd half. We played slow, vanilla football. The game was never remotely close or in doubt once it went to 14-0 in the first quarter.
Last week Alabama went up 35-0 on Ole Miss and went vanilla and got outscored 21-7 the rest of the way. No one saw it for anything less than what it was, Ole Miss getting spanked and Alabama riding it out in vanilla fashion. Today we spanked South Carolina.

Still need to see more before we can start feeling too good about where we are as a team and a program. The jury is still out.

However, it’s hard to NOT be pleased by a 25 point win - and two dominating conference wins in a row. Haven’t had very many of those in several years.
Well, I personally have waited long enough to feel good about my team and the program. Football season will be over before we know it and I am not gonna wait for some mystical benchmark that says I am allowed to be excited. This is not an attack on you or your post, @Chad F . If you wanna hold off on being excited or proud of our guys-that is your call. But I am excited about football again for the first time in years and I am going to keep believing that we can beat anybody. Again, no disrespect intended in this response. Just me saying what I feel.

We lost focus in the second half, but a couple of things. We were down a few key players on D today, and on offense it didn't look like we were calling plays to rip up and down the field like we were in the first half. Still no excuse not to execute on either side of the ball, but not too worrisome.

There's only one thing that concerns me with the offense and that's pass blocking on longer developing plays. Just seems like Hooker is getting hit way too quick on drop back passes. Getting Mays back may help with that, but just not sure how much we're gonna be able to rely on him. That ankle is gonna be a problem all year.

They got up big and changed to control the clock. It took a while to get going, but when Tennessee had to score to put it away, they did. I wanted more points in the third like everyone else. However, I get what we were doing, and clearly, we needed to work on it.

Guess what? That team on the other side also knows how to play football. There are these things called "adjustments" that teams make based on what they are seeing on the field.

The last two teams we played made these so called "adjustments" when they got a chance. The problem is they were too far behind for them to make a difference in the outcome.

It may be incomprehensible for VOL fans to understand what these "adjustments" are after the past several years. This is what good teams do.

Our team also did this, especially when #8 got knocked out of the game. Slow down. Hold the line. Bleed some clock. Get some guys snaps.

It's tough to understand these ideas after the past decade, but we gonna be ok.

Well, I personally have waited long enough to feel good about my team and the program. Football season will be over before we know it and I am not gonna wait for some mystical benchmark that says I am allowed to be excited. This is not an attack on you or your post, @Chad F . If you wanna hold off on being excited or proud of our guys-that is your call. But I am excited about football again for the first time in years and I am going to keep believing that we can beat anybody. Again, no disrespect intended in this response. Just me saying what I feel.

Hey, I’m with ya, man. I am happy to have these last two wins. But we’ve been through this before: glimpses of progress that turned out to be mirages. In any event, I am ready for this to finally be the turning of the corner for our team. We’ve been through enough pain.

Hey, I’m with ya, man. I am happy to have these last two wins. But we’ve been through this before: glimpses of progress that turned out to be mirages. In any event, I am ready for this to finally be the turning of the corner for our team. We’ve been through enough pain.
Lol.

Reactions: Chad F
"Tennessee has a lot of work to do. But this is clearly a team on the rise. "

I told y'all last week folks were starting to take notice and promptly got scolded for it. So, I hate to say I told ya so...but I did.
You all* and You*....Sorry, Revenge for messing with my post earlier :p

The only people worried have apparently never watched football before and somehow don't realize how virtually every coach in football play calls with a 38-7 lead in the 2nd half. We played slow, vanilla football. The game was never remotely close or in doubt once it went to 14-0 in the first quarter.
Last week Alabama went up 35-0 on Ole Miss and went vanilla and got outscored 21-7 the rest of the way. No one saw it for anything less than what it was, Ole Miss getting spanked and Alabama riding it out in vanilla fashion. Today we spanked South Carolina.
Hey now, don't you be on here being reasonable.

I pretty much loved everything about the game except the 3rd quarter. I was hoping for a view of the sideline just to be sure Fulmer wasn't over there coaching. Get up by a couple of touchdowns, then run on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down, punt. Ugh! I didn't like it then and still don't like it. You got your foot on their neck, down ease up.

It is a learning curve.

1. This team had a different starting QB that missed multiple wide open easy TD passes to make the 1st three games 55+point victories. This would’ve allowed them to really play run clock style football.

2. You have a QB switch who now has to be able to handle and learn the live game tempo. It is the life force behind the success of this style of play.

3. South Carolina does have a solid defense they made adjustments after halftime. It looked like right away the idea was to slow down to milk clock. It was obvious SC was not going to roar back into it. Sure they’d most likely score some points. Our guys seemed to not respond to playing with a lead at a slowed down pace. Remember this roster is new to ever playing winning football let alone a 30 point lead against SEC talent.

4. The idea to escape without ANY further injuries to any starter on the team let alone the thin number of backups. With it out of hand…the big meat of the season is here. We need every healthy body possible to have any shot at all.

Reactions: igotworms
When is the last time the Vols scored 110 points total against back to back SEC opponents? Probably Fulmers heyday against KY and Vandy I am guessing.

I can live with some garbage time TDs especially shorthanded on defense.

Reactions: igotworms
You don't go up tempo when you're leading by 30+ points in the second half. At that point, the clock is your friend. You're trying to take as much time off the clock as physically possible, specifically because you don't want to risk going 3 and out and only burning like 30 seconds off the clock.

Defensively, you're ok with not playing very aggressive and playing your safeties deep and your corners off the ball. You want them taking the underneath passes and having to churn out long time consuming drives, even if you have to give up some points. Because the last thing you want is a quick score. CJH played the 2nd half about as textbook as you can. The only mistake was the special teams slip up. And honestly, that was excellent execution by SoCar.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Let's not forget SC had a methodical scoring drive in the 3rd that made our defense look stupid.

Oh wait, nevermind. Down 31 points, the drive used over 7 minutes of clock. Lol

Reactions: Booker512
3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam. 7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.
2 of 7 from Neyland

VN Store

Back