Wow @ Gruden...another debacle had we hired him [update: Gruden resigns]

Who cares, I didn't read it nor will I. The fact that this happened in 2011 is just stupid to bring up 10 years later. All its doing is causing uneeded drama people need to stop digging up the past to get their 15min of fame. Today's society is ridiculous, always having to watch what you say, dig through history of things you said years ago etc... just stop

He just said he had big lips. I don’t see what the big deal is.

Black people having big lips has been a racist stereotype/depiction since forever.

That said I dont think he'll get fired for this.

Last edited:
He just said he had big lips. I don’t see what the big deal is.
Jon Gruden added a derogatory emphasis to the description of DeMaurice Smith's physical appearance with his Michelin tires metaphor. Gruden also said it during the course of insulting DeMaurice Smith's intelligence, by referring to Smith with the pejorative term, "Dumboriss". So, there is no confusing Gruden's remark for just being a plain observation. Gruden was being critical of Smith, and he unnecessarily turned it into a personal attack.

Gruden should have kept the Michelin tires line to himself. At the very least it was immature, and it should be easy for an adult to understand how that could be construed as racially insensitive. You don't have to like it, but this is 2021. Optics and sensitivities matter, especially in a professional sport's league in which 70% of the athletes are black.

Should Jon Gruden be fired / suspended / fined or reprimanded over this 10 year old lapse in judgment? Of course not, and I don't think he will be, but it's probably safe to say that he has disappointed some people.

Last edited:
I actually think he could lose his job from this. If the black players believe he’s secretly mocking their appearance, it will be hard to keep control of the team.

Reactions: irish1485

VN Store

Back