Tennessee Lady Vol News

Was a little surprised coaches are looking to possibly move Dye to the 2 guard. Just thought the small forward was her spot. Maybe they believe facing the basket opens up more things for her. Appears she is very athletic.
The biggest reason for her transferring to Tennessee was to increase her chances at playing professionally. At only 6’, she would definitely not be big enough to play the forward spot. I’m looking forward to see how much she develops in her year at Tennessee

Was a little surprised coaches are looking to possibly move Dye to the 2 guard. Just thought the small forward was her spot. Maybe they believe facing the basket opens up more things for her. Appears she is very athletic.
Unless she developed an outside shot, she would have a hard time making the pros as a 2-guard vs. a slashing wing forward.

I assumed Dye would play at the 4. I wonder if this means that Horston comes off the bench, or does she start at the four?

Was quite surprised about Dye at two guard. I could see her at the three because she is a very good rebounder and scorer around the basket. She is a deadly jump shooter up to fifteen feet never seen her take any shots beyond that distance. She does run the floor like a two guard and would probably give most opponents fits trying to guard her there, but I think even more so at the three. Troy always used her as a 4-5 mainly because they didn't have many other players that could play there. Wherever she plays looking forward to seeing her in action. My biggest worry with her is she is a little foul prone and we could see her get in some foul trouble in a few games. I'd be interested in seeing what she could do from longer range just not anything to determine her range beyond fifteen feet. Up to that distance she can shoot the ball very effectively.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I heard Harper say they were trying to improve Dye's guard skills, but I didn't hear her say she is being groomed to play the 2.

That’s what I got from that as well. It’s improving her handles and court vision versus moving her to the two spot. If her handles (specifically) and (range to a lesser extent) improve she’ll be dangerous.

I have high hopes for her.

I don't know if she is transitioning to another position as much as Kellie says "we are trying to work on her guard skills more". To me that means have her bringing up the ball more (which she tells her in a practice video to grab it off the rim and go), take people off the dribble, and shooting range. I think it's more this is where we are gonna expand your game but allow you to play your game as well.

She has proven herself against bigger competition. So i believe she will continue to play down low and expand her game. I think of a player like victoria saxton who expanded her game but still operates down low.

Reactions: travis929
Can you imagine how Dye must feel going from Troy to the Lady Vols? Just the facilities alone, hopefully she just falls in love with it. Hope attendance at games is way up and just blows her mind! Fun, fun!

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The few times I've see Dye play I thought she already had some really good guard skills so if she is getting better there she could be lightning in a bottle. I mean she is good at getting in the passing lanes for steals and runs the floor like a guard can slash to the basket very quick release has the shot up before most can react to it. I would bet she will be a three for the Lady Vols and move Burrell to the two which with her range would be a great position for her. You still have plenty of fours Puckett, Suarez can play there and Green. Seems were still thinking of Horston as a point guard to team with Walker and Miles. I suspect we'll see a lot of both Horston and Walker in the lineup at the same time like last season. Regardless of how it all plays out I really like our potential as a team.

I think I assumed it was the 2 spot when I read trying her at guard as I was sure it was not the point position. Sorry to mislead.

Yes, I assume also it's not the point position. So that leaves either the two or the three, so you might be right. I'm guessing the three, but even that doesn't make much sense to me if she isn't a 3 ball shooter. I guess we'll have to see how it works out in time.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
I wanna see Tamari mic’d up! She needs to be the vocal leader in the Post at this point. She’s the most experienced post player under Kellie’s tenure and she’s one of the Vol Leaders… I’m excited especially the way Kellie’s talking about the confidence the returners are walking in with. It matters.

She will be called upon to guard that spot with switches and all...so better to introduce her to the spot if she isn't familiar with 2-guard-tendencies

Yes, I assume also it's not the point position. So that leaves either the two or the three, so you might be right. I'm guessing the three, but even that doesn't make much sense to me if she isn't a 3 ball shooter. I guess we'll have to see how it works out in time.
If you watched last season how Kellie moved the 2, 3, and 4 spots around to expose mismatches, it would make sense that Dye learn more guard skills. I don't think Kellie said she wanted to make Dye a guard. It sounded like they were working to make her a better-rounded player with some added guard skills. Dye will most likely play primarily the 3-4 spot and good ball-handling skills are always an asset at any position in today's game.

If you watched last season how Kellie moved the 2, 3, and 4 spots around to expose mismatches, it would make sense that Dye learn more guard skills. I don't think Kellie said she wanted to make Dye a guard. It sounded like they were working to make her a better-rounded player with some added guard skills. Dye will most likely play primarily the 3-4 spot and good ball-handling skills are always an asset at any position in today's game.

Especially at her height. No matter what position she plays, she’ll be expected to have some type of competent guard skills with regards to handles and range.

VN Store

Back