Heupel’s offense is not innovative

I’m not sure if we’re back or not. I feel like we have had great games with our last 4 coaches and I thought, “here’s the Vols back baby.” That didn’t turn out for us.
I will say this though, that was a really damn fun game to watch. I hope we have some more.

Dollar store coaches give you the exact quality you pay for.
Texas is a better program. More money. Easier recruiting. Easier conference. Since Mac Brown was fired how many of their coaches would YOU be happy with ? How many? You people who believe throwing money will get you a so-called big time coach are living in a dream world. Wake Up!!

The rules of football have remained largely unchanged for long enough that I don't see how anything truly novel could still exist. What's an example of a 2021 offense that is innovating something really new?

Our receivers are getting open regularly even though none of them seem to have elite speed.

I would say the vols scheme is creative, in that the play designs are frequently creating chances for our guys to get the ball in to open space.

Reactions: KptVFL
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?[/QUITE
He's quick to spot mis-matches. It's always been a numbers game. A good Offence is simple.

It was hard not to buy in on 2013-2014-2015 Jones with the way he recruited
He underperformed his talent in every year starting with the first. He consistently had a high % of guys unavailable due to injury... IMO because his S&C ideas sucked.

UT has to have a guy who can coach AND build a roster. IMO Jones' coaching was questionable from development to schemes from the first time he stepped to the podium. Plus... his dependence on cliches always made it seem like he was an empty suit... a used car salesman.

Reactions: NEO
What was up with To'o To'o?
My take kind of supported by a few leaks collated together was that he always thought he was too good to be at UT and maybe a little resentful that others were "making him look bad". Always seemed to be more focused on college as his route to the NFL than devoting himself to helping build UT.

I'm fairly sure he was a McDonald's customer and that may have been the only way Pruitt placated him.

Reactions: DarthVol
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?

The order he calls the plays is very innovative. Keeps the other side off balance constantly.

I don't know how old you are but this is not the terrible roster everyone keeps talking about. Could it be better with Jahmir Johnson and a couple of others? Yes. But I suspect that Henry T NOT being in the locker room has made the D better.

They have depth at DL. They're playing 6 guys at ILB effectively. The secondary is building depth.

The OL is thin but they're building every week. They put guys in yesterday while the game was still semi-competitive who haven't played much.

All the credit goes to Heupel for coaching this roster... but it isn't quite as bad as people have claimed.
I’m a longtime fan. And I put my football knowledge against anyone. We have pockets of talent. Some of our front line players are pretty good. But 71 scholarship players mean that we are taking 5-8 walk ons with us on every road trip. Some of the non walkons aren’t SEC players either. It’s simply too hard to deal with this much attrition in one off season.

The major positive is all of the unheralded players like Tillman, Page, Beasley and Jackson have developed seemingly out of nowhere to be major contributors.

Maybe immediate playing time can be a draw for the right type of guy that had rather learn on the field than on the bench. Playing 4 years instead of 2 is a lot better way to improve and develop.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?

Right. It's just like Alabama and Georgia's playbook.

HA HA HA, I needed a good laugh! GBO!!!!!

Reactions: lukeneyland

Speed kills.

Reactions: Alto1
It is like most offenses...The Innovation comes from the play calling not the design. We will see how it stacks up in weeks to come. YOU Stuck your Foot in your Mouth at this point. Take it like a man and let the season play out, but the more you defend it at this point is a moot point. Again the plays are basic but the INNOVATION is the use of the Plays and calling it. There will be challenges this season but you can't call it INNOVATIVE when you don't have weapons but still manage to put the points on the board......Kids are getting it but here you stand still and defend a statement that is DEAD. 40 points a game and right at 500 yds a game. Something clicked in today but lets see what remains. Get your head out of your backside and admit you jumped the gun and made an ambiguous statement and one that can be interpreted the way you desire. I am not buying it.....It is bogus and Chicken Crap....
This post is accurate.

Fade, you've had me pondering this question (are we innovative?) for several days now. Didn't post earlier, because I had to think it through.

And I think you're mostly wrong.

Technically, at the level you and I can easily recognize, maybe there's nothing hugely innovative going on. No never-before-seen formations or patterns or trick plays. Physics says there are only so many ways you can arrange 11 guys against 11 guys on a field of a certain size with certain procedural rules. There's pretty much always gonna be an A gap and a B gap, and so on, even if you change the terminology to 1-gap and 2-gap or T-gap and G-gap or whatever.

The flea flicker and statue of liberty and wildcat and triple option and I and shotgun and pistol and under-center and wishbone and veer and mesh and fun-and-gun and west coast and air raid and hook and hook-and-lateral and RPO and etc and so on and blah blah blah have all been invented. Got it.

So no innovation from that perspective.

But innovation is about change. Not necessarily gimmicks. And we have most certainly seen a change in this team, this program. These players. There's something new in Knoxville. It starts with family and love for each other and grows out from there. It involves brotherhood. It involves smart play, and quick reaction. Hurry-up, sure, that's part of it, but that's not the big part.

This is an innovation in team culture. One I'm not sure I've ever seen in the Volunteer program. Not with Pruitt, oh heck no. Not with Butch. Nor Dooley. Not with Fulmer. Or Majors.

Now, that's where my personal vantage point ends. Maybe this kind of cultural revolution has happened before for the Vols. If so, maybe under Neyland. And/or Barnhill. I doubt under Dickey. Or Battle. Or Wyatt.

But it is HUGELY innovative today. For the lads playing right now. It is downright revolutionary.

You can pooh-pooh it if you wish, because it doesn't show up on X-and-O diagrams.

But I'm pretty sure this is innovation we're seeing. And I don't mean just for the University of Tennessee. This thing Josh Heupel is creating, it might be pretty rare throughout college football, period.

Let's see where it goes. But I think you might be mostly wrong.

where am I wrong?
Parts of it may be better...but the depth is the concern. Playing with 71 scholarship players, no matter their star ranking, is playing with one hand tied behind your back. I’m afraid that may get illustrated for us the deeper we go into the season.

VN Store

Back