No thanks Kirk Herbstreit!!

I wish we had hired:

• Greg Schiano

• Someone, anyone other than Schiano

• Kirk Herbstreit has a low IQ and questionable moral character

Results are only viewable after voting.
Herby has been in Nashville too long, wonder when the last time was when he took a drive to the east to visit Knoxville, not for a game, but to get a read on the fans in the environment where the school actually sits

In regards to Kirk Herbstreit's remark about betting UT fans regret their behavior in rejecting Greg Schiano, who is doing an outstanding job at Rutgers, no, we don't regret it and are perfectly happy with our Coach Heupel.
He’s projecting. He knows that’s not actually true.

In regards to Kirk Herbstreit's remark about betting UT fans regret their behavior in rejecting Greg Schiano, who is doing an outstanding job at Rutgers, no, we don't regret it and are perfectly happy with our Coach Heupel.
I believe his remark was in regards to kicking Schiano out the door and hiring Pruitt. I don't think he would have been any worse than Pruitt! As for his hiring, he was recommended by Peyton Manning (who had spoken to Belichick and Meyer on UT's behalf).

Last edited:
Reactions: USAFgolferVol

He gets paid to spew that garbage.

Reactions: BigOrangeDan
Seriously Herb…….would it have mattered?

He would have been fired…..and Tennessee would have hired someone else.

Maybe someone not as good as we got now…….right now I’m pretty glad Tennessee has Heupel…..so…….

I’m generally a Herbstreit fan, but that’s a real dick comment.

Last edited:
I think both Rutgers and UT ended up eventually with the right coaches for their respective programs.

Reactions: Lurker
Does that turkey ever give it a rest? That was a long time ago. Schiano is a good coach but when I heard about it, my first thought was that he wasn't a good fit for the SEC or for the culture at UT. He's where he needs to be, and he will win his share at Rutgers again, once he's got a few recruiting classes in place. But I've never had one day where I thought "Gee, I wish Tennessee had hired Greg Schiano."

Herby has been in Nashville too long, wonder when the last time was when he took a drive to the east to visit Knoxville, not for a game, but to get a read on the fans in the environment where the school actually sits

Nobody in Nashville knows who Rutgers or Greg Schiano are except Herby. Nobody cares.

Coaches Tennessee fans wish they hired over Schiano:
Saban, Meyer, Gruden, Freeze, Kiffin, Malzhan Franklin, And about 150 other guys.

Sorry Herby but we don’t regret not hiring
Greg Sh!tno the azz hole!!!

Reactions: volncleveland
Wasn’t our finest hour but it damn sure wasn’t our worst either.
Oh yeah at that point based off what we heard from what Curries decision was. Desperation to be heard was much better than him being our coach and having buyers remorse and stuck with the guy and his possible baggage.

Schiano would have likely been a bad hire, but Pruitt was a disaster. Seems kinda weird patting ourselves on the back for that.

I did not want Schiano because he had a reputation of player abuse. Code reds, etc not because of rumors that he had knowledge of sexual abuse of boys by a Penn St coach. I refuse to even say the guys name. I know an advocacy group tried to pressure Rutgers to not hire Schiano but they went ahead and did it anyway after thoroughly vetting the guy with a microscopic like investigation. I think child abuse of any kind should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. I also think it is better to make an error and over react and not make the hire to just be safe. I also know the Penn St case was a national story and the Feds investigated every aspect of the case including coverups by the Penn St staff and admin including Schiano. I think the social media campaign did him in. I also know the same people that did not want Schiano would have welcomed Leach as a home run hire and he locked a player in a shed who he thought was faking a concussion. Would welcome back Lane Kiff after what he did to UT and his flagrant lapses of ethics while a UT coach. Screamed for Chip Kelly and Hugh Freeze to be hired etc. You cannot convince me that the people who did not want him were more concerned that Schiano was not a "sexy" hire because we are TN and his achievements were beneath us as a program. So we hired Jeremy friggin Pruitt? Mr McDonalds bag Jeremy? I am sorry I would have hired Schiano over that even before we found out he was tossing bags of cash at recruits, but by that point who the heck would have taken the job other than scumbags like Kelly, Freeze or Kif? If Pruitt had been successful the whistle blower would have had to live with death threats and living incognito in fear for their life. Instead he was a failure and we all believed firing him without buyout was the easy way to get him out the door so we could hire the next darn coach. Who many hoped would be a scumbag like Kif, Freeze or Kelly. If rumors that Schiano knew about sexual abuse at Penn St would have hurt recruiting how do you think harsh NCAA violations has harmed recruiting? To say that I think Child abuse had anything to do with the circus surrounding Schiano is a stretch. It did not help that Haslam had given him his seal of approval. As much as the teams performance today helped Heupel and TN, Ole Miss getting destroyed by Bammer helped even more. Maybe everybody can now lose the man crush on Lane.

Last edited:
I really regret not getting a guy that is Buttgers level coaching talent and an asshat on top of it, let me tell you.

Reactions: NeverWe'llSever

VN Store

Back