2022 Army game bought out (merged)

Just paid Army $500,000 to cancel the contract and not play next year and replaced them with Akron. Now Army is without a game next year. Any details on any other reason we would have dropped this game?
Yeah this is embarrassing. Rather play them than Akron

Beating Pitt matters the most?

I would trade a Pitt win over any SEC win.

Completely missed the point.

I would also make that trade. However, the Pitt game (at the time, at least) seemed like a true early “measuring stick” game; an opportunity to show that we were going to be able to win against respectable competition - and, of course, we see how that turned out.

Besides, how many SEC games is this team likely to win this season? Maybe I’ll be surprised, but early indicators aren’t exactly promising.

Remember in 2016 when Tennessee played Appalachian St, Virginia Tech and Ohio prior to beating Florida? That was probably our toughest 3 game stretch of non conference opponents we have had in recent memory. I think playing tougher non conference opponents prior to Florida actually helps.

Reactions: PG1 and Volfan1000
Remember in 2016 when Tennessee played Appalachian St, Virginia Tech and Ohio prior to beating Florida? That was probably our toughest 3 game stretch of non conference opponents we have had in recent memory. I think playing tougher non conference opponents prior to Florida actually helps.

That Florida team in 2016 wasn’t that good and they still dominated us in the first half. It took a miracle game by Dobbs for us to win. Nothing helps us with UF. Doesn’t matter who we have at QB, RB or head coach. UF beats us.

Why were we planning on paying 1.4 million to Army anyway? That seems really high for an independent team. I'd rather not bother facing a triple option team, there is no real benefit to it. Injuries are far more likely to happen, you aren't likely to even see that type of offense again, so it doesn't really help you get better as a team. Akron also sucks, so that's an easy win.

That Florida team in 2016 wasn’t that good and they still dominated us in the first half. It took a miracle game by Dobbs for us to win. Nothing helps us with UF. Doesn’t matter who we have at QB, RB or head coach. UF beats us.
How was our OOC schedule before that game? Much tougher than any other OOC schedule since then. That team got through it and ended up beating Florida. Florida still won the SEC East that season.

Finebaum and John Adams gave this story significant airtime. no telling how many times it's been shared and regurgitated since then. this staff is not impressing recruits with on the field results yet, and there is no recent history of success to lure 'em in. Current Vols players are not getting six figure NIL deals. White and Hoople look bad because they are the ones in the drivers' seats right now. Some 4* DE isn't gonna take the time to research out whether this started under Fulmer/Pruitt. besides which, no matter who started the pull out, White and Hoople could've hit the brakes and agreed to play. This program is not gonna get turned around to where we want by recruiting 3*s to fit a scheme. Programs that go that route plateau far below divisional championships. Vols need elite recruits. Whether we like it or not, recruits and their families listen to people like Finebaum. This stunt probably won us a meaningless game next year but it may cost a couple of commitments this year.

Reactions: PG1
Finebaum beat this horse to death yesterday.

Our defensive depth will probably not improve significantly next year. Why set your team up for failure by getting the defense all banged up for basically nothing? I wonder why it was scheduled in the first place.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Finebaum and John Adams gave this story significant airtime. no telling how many times it's been shared and regurgitated since then. this staff is not impressing recruits with on the field results yet, and there is no recent history of success to lure 'em in. Current Vols players are not getting six figure NIL deals. White and Hoople look bad because they are the ones in the drivers' seats right now. Some 4* DE isn't gonna take the time to research out whether this started under Fulmer/Pruitt. besides which, no matter who started the pull out, White and Hoople could've hit the brakes and agreed to play. This program is not gonna get turned around to where we want by recruiting 3*s to fit a scheme. Programs that go that route plateau far below divisional championships. Vols need elite recruits. Whether we like it or not, recruits and their families listen to people like Finebaum. This stunt probably won us a meaningless game next year but it may cost a couple of commitments this year.
The story won’t matter by the end of the week.

Finebaum beat this horse to death yesterday.

Our defensive depth will probably not improve significantly next year. Why set your team up for failure by getting the defense all banged up for basically nothing? I wonder why it was scheduled in the first place.

It was set up before White and Heupel got here. There is no benefit to playing Army.

Reactions: Plano Vol
Completely missed the point.

I would also make that trade. However, the Pitt game (at the time, at least) seemed like a true early “measuring stick” game; an opportunity to show that we were going to be able to win against respectable competition - and, of course, we see how that turned out.

Besides, how many SEC games is this team likely to win this season? Maybe I’ll be surprised, but early indicators aren’t exactly promising.

Probably.

We can’t beat a Pitt team that managed to lose to Western Michigan. Not the University of Michigan, but Western Michigan. This Tennessee team, just like the ones before it, excels only at finding ways to lose the games that matter the most. Beating up on Tenn Tech and Bowling Green shouldn’t make anyone feel confident.

My point is derived from your statement "This Tennessee team, just like the ones before it, excels only at finding ways to lose the games that matter the most."

I guess that we can agree that Pitt doesn't matter the most. I also agree that Pitt was an early measuring stick for what Tennessee success could be. However, Pitt does not matter the most.

VN Store

Back