Tennessee Modernizing Football Ticket Pricing Model Beginning in 2022

If they are doing away with grandfathered seats then their are a lot of people who will have to pay more for seats even if the chart says it will be less.
They did a really interesting thing with semantics.... They said 50% of people will be paying less, which is in itself interesting. This also means that 50% of people will be paying more.....so if half are paying more, and half are paying less.... does bringing up this statistic even matter? Also, them saying 50% of "people" would be paying less is much different than showing how much prices go down for those people vs. how much the prices increase for the others. The seating chart shows a decrease of 21-37%, while there could be an increase of 10-164%.

Reactions: tbwhhs and 08Vol
From the article:
"Under this new and more equitable model, ticket holders seated in the same section of Neyland Stadium all will be paying the same, fair amount."

The grandfather seat exemption is now closing in to being in effect for almost 40 years. Time to end it finally.

It never made sense to begin with. It would’ve been one thing to guarantee a seat ‘somewhere in the stadium’ at the same price, but to keep the exact same seat at the extremely reduced cost was never a good idea.

They did a really interesting thing with semantics.... They said 50% of people will be paying less, which is in itself interesting. This also means that 50% of people will be paying more.....so if half are paying more, and half are paying less.... does bringing up this statistic even matter? Also, them saying 50% of "people" would be paying less is much different than showing how much prices go down for those people vs. how much the prices increase for the others. The seating chart shows a decrease of 21-37%, while there could be an increase of 10-164%.

the 164% increase is for seats that will be completely renovated into stadium chairs and will have access to a premium level club/lounge. So it’s not just a huge increase for the same old seat. It’s a huge increase for what will become a premium level product.

If they are doing away with grandfathered seats then their are a lot of people who will have to pay more for seats even if the chart says it will be less.

the release they sent out stated that nearly 50% of current season ticket holders will experience a cost reduction. That implies that just over 50% of current season ticket holders will stay the same or experience an increase. Grandfathered ticket holders are going to get an increase.

I stopped my donation / tickets before 2020. Based on the chart, my ticket costs (donation plus cost of ticket) would have go up about $500 per ticket. I bought my initially in 1990. Had 14 in section B.

the 164% increase is for seats that will be completely renovated into stadium chairs and will have access to a premium level club/lounge. So it’s not just a huge increase for the same old seat. It’s a huge increase for what will become a premium level product.
As someone who is in that section there’s no way in hell I’m paying that much, and I can’t fathom there are many who sit there that will. Those are a lot of seats to expect to fill with a $4600 price tag per seat let alone for a close view of the kind of product they’re putting on the field. And what happens to us? Ive donated a lot since purchasing these seats despite some really ****** football and through the covid season, and now am given the boot and left to find tickets elsewhere that might come available? Pretty ******

Last edited:
In the chart, It appears they are comparing total donation and ticket cost in 2021 with total ticket/donation cost in 2022 for the same seat. We have one less home game in 2022. So are they comparing costs for 8 games to 7 games?

Reactions: golfballs
As someone who is in that section there’s no way in hell I’m paying that much, and I can’t fathom there are many who sit there that will. Those are a lot of seats to expect to fill with a $4600 price tag per seat. And what happens to us? We are given the boot and now have to take whatever happens to come available elsewhere? It’s pretty ******

Yeah that’s tough. Seems clear the UTAD is moving towards more premium seating options and the stadium capacity will start to shrink as a result. Your seats are at a premium location and they are betting they can get more money out of them by doing it this way.

Reactions: 08Vol
Basilio was saying that they are taking away the points system and the Big Money Folks are going to lose their mind. Also, you dont get ticket purchasing access to other events because you donated to football. You will have to donate to buy basketball, baseball, ect separate. This does not affect me but it is interesting.

did that discussion include the parking system options which is also largely based on point system?

Looks like majority of the tickets are going down but let’s not let that stop a good ole fashioned Tennessee piss-fit.
I don’t believe them. People who have grandfathered seats will see price increases. I’m sure they didn’t include them in the price increase category.

Reactions: volfaninky
Basilio was saying that they are taking away the points system and the Big Money Folks are going to lose their mind. Also, you dont get ticket purchasing access to other events because you donated to football. You will have to donate to buy basketball, baseball, ect separate. This does not affect me but it is interesting.
Sounds like the administration is being proactive and starting to collect money for the Josh Heupel buyout....

Reactions: NashvilleFan
I got the email about it. I guess we will have to see how it plays out since not a lot of details were discussed besides general concepts (stadium upgrades, no donation for some areas, premium cost areas, etc.). I guess my employee no donation benefit just lost some value. If it gets more fans in the stadium, it is a good thing.

I was thinking the same thing.... no more discounts to UT employees which I think is a horrible idea.

I’m not sure how to understand any of this. I’m currently in QQ and have a locked in donation of $50 per seat. By this chart, it looks like I’m going to end up having to pay $300 per seat now?
If that’s the case, YouTubeTV just increased its value to me, substantially.

the release they sent out stated that nearly 50% of current season ticket holders will experience a cost reduction. That implies that just over 50% of current season ticket holders will stay the same or experience an increase. Grandfathered ticket holders are going to get an increase.

Here is an example: I posted earlier that I am grandfathered and not required to make a donation. Seats are in lower north end zone. My 2021 cost was 450 per ticket. One of my college buddies (we're old farts from the 70s) sits two rows in front of me and pays 950 per seat (500 donation + 450 ticket). Under the new method we both pay 600 per seat.

It will be interesting how they handle parking if they abandon point system.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
My seats were originally thru the Alumni Office. When the athletic dept confiscated control over over all tickets I was grandfathered in and did not have to make the donation to keep tickets. Based on the chart I have seen, my tickets will now cost 33% more ($600 vs $450). As a result I will likely drop the tickets after 40+ years, or at a minimum cut back the number.

Mine are going up about 70 percent.

VN Store

Back