Heupel’s offense is not innovative

Well I won't be surprised if you're upset. Bama barely crossed 300 yards and put up 31 with 7 of those coming off a very short field after an interception. Florida has a very good defense.

Or to put it another way, if we score over 20 we can feel somewhat good about it, and if we score over 30 we should be ecstatic.

How much of that was created by the defense? Again, 410 yards vs Tenn Tech??
I wonder if we'd had 1000 yards offense and scored 75 points how you would have derided CJH for padding stats against a HS team.

Johnny Majors was never more accurate than when he coined the term the Legions of the Miserable regarding some UT fans.

I wonder if we'd had 1000 yards offense and scored 75 points how you would have derided CJH for padding stats against a HS team.

Johnny Majors was never more accurate than when he coined the term the Legions of the Miserable regarding some UT fans.

People having an amazingly hard time grasping that 56 points on 400 yards means you had a great day. We had three scoring drives of less than 40 yards, two less than 50, and one 52. It's hard to pile up a ton of yardage when the defense and special teams gives you short fields very often.

It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's always has been. You're not going to scheme around a talent gap.. Vols need a talent infusion and we don't have good recruiters to do it i'm told. I don't know what you sell a kid on anymore to come to Tennessee. Been in the toilet too long and the perception of Tennessee seems to be not very favorable.

Reactions: tnutater
I've found that good OCs actually install their system and run it in order to get better at it. They don't change anything dramatically based on personnel or the defense being presented. The reason they run the offense they do is because they know it works. We scored 34 points vs Pitt and if not for drops and overthrows we'd have scored at least 48. That should be enough to win football games. The scheme vs Pitt was great, the execution was lacking but that can be expected in game 2 of a new system.

But, but it's the dad gum Ground Hog Day routine that just mentally has broken down much of my will for so many years. Your post is accurate however, it is accurate for every year for the past 20 years. Always a new OC and always a new game plan. We, VN, can't expect much as this continual process has us trained like Pavlovian Dogs. I pray for a .500 season and will be thrilled with that but, Pitt was a lost opportunity of the likes we might not see again this year. I know it was early in the season and early for our coaches and early for our team - it always is.

Offense actually showing a pulse for the first time in years, we're averaging over 40 points a game but this guy is bored lol

yall are funny.
First time in years we actually have been somewhat fun to watch. Heupel has been getting guys open, and that is all he can do. He cant throw it or catch it. The question is can he get guys open against SEC defenses? If so, we have a keeper that just needs better players that can catch or throw a football.

#truth.... I thought, for about a quarter, we were going to have a chance then the Gators decided to show up to their game and played pretty well. They are a QB away from beating bama...

They are an INT and dumb kicking game play putting them at a first down inside their own 5. When you play Bama you cannot make costly mistakes Saban's team won't make.

Reactions: GoVols64
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
For TN, it is innovative. It is all about perspective. What were we averaging ppg over the last three years, 20.5 points? Seriously, I don't think anybody is saying it is innovative. It is all is schemed on the strengths of those individuals on the team. Regardless, nobody in this thread is making millions as the HC of TN football. Whatever JH is doing, it's working. The offense is more exciting to watch and putting up points.

Reactions: Alto1
It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's always has been. You're not going to scheme around a talent gap.. Vols need a talent infusion and we don't have good recruiters to do it i'm told. I don't know what you sell a kid on anymore to come to Tennessee. Been in the toilet too long and the perception of Tennessee seems to be not very favorable.
I agree to a point, but IMO, exceptional coaching and development are the most critical ingredients. If you don't have them, you're not going to win at a high clip even with a roster full of 5 stars.

Do CJH and company have it? Time will tell...

Reactions: Alto1
Most offenses are beginning to look the same way. A coordinator could start running a more traditional I- formation and wishbone that it might be considered innovative at this point.

I feel sure that our coach has some plays he has not shown. Most all of them do. Special occasion plays are usually kept at minimum until the need arises.

The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing

VN Store

Back