Hidden Keys: Tennessee Tech

aaronvol

A bit late to the game this week...apologies. Watched some episodes of Ted Lasco with the beautiful bride this evening and am a little behind. This is a thread dedicated to those of you who want to talk about keys to the game that no one is talking about in media, radio, or here on VolNation. Last week was a disappointment. We were a better team at every position but one...QB. We win that game 8/10 times. Last week just didn't go our way. Too many mistakes and too many opportunities missed. Tech (My alma mater) will offer up no real issue. But, I think it's a wonderful game before Florida. They get Bama and we get Tech. Let me say this here. I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee is in a position to win or tie that game in the fourth quarter next week. SO, for me the hidden key this week is about getting ready for Florida next week. QB containment. How will our ends play this week. Will Byron Young be what we need to head into the Swamp and give whatever QB they throw at us fits. Honorable mention...One freaking deep ball. One. Yours? What are you looking for this week?

Reactions: HalfullVol
Hidden Key: Take care of business. Don't let TT hang around, score every time we get the ball in the first quarter/half and FINISH. I want to see the QB's hit the wide open receiver. I think just like BG we could run every snap if we wanted to but we need the practice hitting the correct receiver in stride.

I'm looking to see if T Tech is any better than our 2's & 3's from O/W game. Then to see if we do hit the bombs how the coaches react. Do they say I'm pleased and we are ready to roll or do they say well it's still week to week until we do it vs the SEC teams?
I guess in other words IMO, we learn nothing from this game, unless it goes disastrously ala G State vs a lesser opponent.

Last edited:
I'm looking to see if T Tech is any better than our 2's & 3's from O/W game. Then to see if we do hit the bombs how the coaches react. Do they say I'm pleased and we are ready to roll or do they say well it's still week to week until we do it vs the SEC teams?
I guess in other words IMO, we learn nothing from this game, unless it goes disastrously ala G State vs a lesser opponent.
The extra practice is good and developing more depth to get our others guys some live action.

Reactions: savannahfan
Clean up the game after last week. No stupid, unnecessary penalties. No body slams, cleaning out the pile, etc..

I want to see the 10-25 yard pass game. I want to see hitches near the sticks, dig routes, mesh routes, hitting some backs out of the backfield on a wheel route. We need to get the QB, whoever it is into a rhythm and gain some confidence.

Reactions: murfvol1
The key to the game is the bus that Tennessee Tech rides to Knoxville on. The only thing that is going to keep them from getting blown out is engine trouble stranding them on the side of I-40.

I want to see our DBs cover their assignments super close…a pick or two would be nice. I also would like to see all 3 of our QBs get equal time against this JV team to see just who is better at executing and game management!

If Coach Heupel wants to put an end to all the quarterback controversy in the Vol Nation, he needs to let Milton rest this week, then give Hooker and Bailey equal opportunities to lead the team. Some on here think Bailey doesn't fit this offense because he isn't as mobile as Milton and Hooker, but it's a shotgun offense, so Bailey doesn't have to worry about dropping back,he is already back, and the OL doesn't have to protect longer for him to drop back. I would at least like to see him get a chance.

If Coach Heupel wants to put an end to all the quarterback controversy in the Vol Nation, he needs to let Milton rest this week, then give Hooker and Bailey equal opportunities to lead the team. Some on here think Bailey doesn't fit this offense because he isn't as mobile as Milton and Hooker, but it's a shotgun offense, so Bailey doesn't have to worry about dropping back,he is already back, and the OL doesn't have to protect longer for him to drop back. I would at least like to see him get a chance.

Except, on Aug 3, Bailey was describing the simplicity of this Offense (for him), saying "Decisions are easy -- all you really have to do is 'drop back' and play ball."

Hoping to see Bailey today.

My thoughts… put this game away by the second quarter.
Stop making stupid mistakes that killed us against Pitt.
No sacks or turnovers.
Let Bailey loose in the second half.
No injuries.
This will be a glorified scrimmage before Florida.

Reactions: murfvol1

VN Store

Back