Alex Golesh UT OC - What were you thinking?????

I'm pretty sure that Heupel calls the plays anyway. Either way, the plays worked. If the Milton could hit wide open receivers, none of that matters. I can't blame play calling for the QB missing open receivers.
I can blame letting him overthrow a 7th receiver in just the 1st Q.

And here I thought he dialed up some excellent play calls with multiple receivers open for TDs on each series. It's clearly insane for him to think that his QB might complete a minimum of 1 out of 3. The one to Tillman was a pass most HS QBs could complete.

This! In a vertical passing attack even incompletions are a good thing.... but they have to be 50/50 and not throws Batman couldn't reel in. Worst display I've ever seen.

Reactions: Vol_0311
We're going to have to learn to live with that. Lining up under center is not practiced and it is not in the playbook. Our QBs have not touched the hiney of a center in the last 9 months.

Too many people want to compare this offense to the offense of old. It isn't that offense and btw these are probably the same folks that complained about those offenses as boring and wanted this.

This is so funny to me. The UCF fanbase complain about the same things when Golesh and Huepel at UCF. I thought he called a good game against Pittsburgh. If Milton hit at least 2 of the deep throws you win by 2 td's.This fanbase need to be pushing for Malzahn to come to Tennessee if Huepel leave. The job that he his doing with that team and the way he utilize my nephew Brandon is amazing. Brandon has 12 catches and 2 tds already in 2 games.

Addicted to Volnation ? ;-) Great to see Brandon doing so well. On pace to have a great season. Huepel did call a good game against Pitt imo - agree that if Milton doesn't overthrow every deep pass or Hooker plays the whole game we win. I don't think that Gus is dynamic and charismatic enough to recruit well in the SEC particularly against the Saban's of the world. It will be interesting to see how the season progresses for UCF and for Tennessee. Is Gus running UCF's old offense ? What exactly are they running and how is Brandon getting so many passes headed in his direction?

Grind it out, wear down the defense, control the clock. Maybe we bring Pruitt back.....

Ever watch a Clemson or Bama game? And I think a guy named Brady does a pretty good job of this style offense in the pros. Just sayin....

Ever watch a Clemson or Bama game? And I think a guy named Brady does a pretty good job of this style offense in the pros. Just sayin....

Alabama is averaging about as many plays per game as we are this season. And Clemson averaged the same last season. Clemson is running a slower offense this year, but they also look very pedestrian so far.

Probably never have been so mad at my curved 55" TV than I was the other day FFing through the game.

* We had an early lead of 7-0
* It's a known fact that QB Milton, who has a rocket of an arm, tends to over throw his receivers
* So, instead of grinding it out and getting first downs w short passes and runs - which in terms keeps our D on the sidelines resting, Coach Golesh attempts an air raid on the Pitt secondary and wants to run the score up
* It doesn't work on one series, so hey, let's try another series of 3 and out and well, how about yet even another. Why not? After all, I am the UT OC and I know what I'm doing
* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
* I don't blame Milton for one second for his errant throws because the coaching staff knew that going into the game. Of course I wish the kid was accurate, but he's a Hairball UM reject. Nuff said.

We had the chance to set the pace early in this game and keep momentum on our sides. Instead, the fans and players are disappointed w Milton's long tosses when all the time, it's the guy calling these repetitive plays that deserves the blame.

Coach Golesh - Please use the talent you have on the team properly. I know other teams might be better and or have more scholarship players, so that makes your job, IMO, the single most important job every Saturday afternoon. We have good kids who want to win and deserve to win but, can only do so with proper play calling. And personally, all I want is a W at the end of the game. I don't need a blow out to satisfy my fragile ego.

First downs, not touchdowns, is a philosophy most successful football teams adhere to as their MO. Grind it out, move the yard sticks, wear down their defense, control the clock and you will score points. And your fresh as a daisy defense will thank you by stopping their offense.

Last time I checked, Wins and Losses were based on the score.......not the number of 1st Downs. Three and Outs weren't our problem. There was only one in the first half. Missed opportunities on open receivers, penalties and turnovers were our problem.
View attachment 394591
View attachment 394594
Sorry - it's a game plan strategy. If you control the ball on offense, grind out first downs, continue to wind down the clock, move the chains and keep your defense off the field, you will score points and, at the same time, and this is the good part, the opponents offense will have less time to score upon your defense. If though, you continually ignore that strategy and your team goes 3 and out waaaay too often, then you pretty much know that the opponents offense will score more points because your defense will be dog ass tired. Go back and watch the tapes of the past 20 or so years UT games and this will bear out.
If you focus on first downs, not touchdowns, you will win the majority of your games.

Sorry - it's a game plan strategy. If you control the ball on offense, grind out first downs, continue to wind down the clock, move the chains and keep your defense off the field, you will score points and, at the same time, and this is the good part, the opponents offense will have less time to score upon your defense. If though, you continually ignore that strategy and your team goes 3 and out waaaay too often, then you pretty much know that the opponents offense will score more points because your defense will be dog ass tired. Go back and watch the tapes of the past 20 or so years UT games and this will bear out.
If you focus on first downs, not touchdowns, you will win the majority of your games.

But that has been our general offensive strategy since Jones took over. Grind, time of possession, and then score. Move the chains and control the game. But our offensive schemes lacked the ability to force teams out of executing that same exact strategy against us. If we failed to make a first down and went three and out and they scored on the subsequent possession, that would but us in the position that we generally found ourselves in with equally or better talent teams...and we were not able to catch up on the scoreboard.

My point was that if you have the ability to scheme an offense that has a greater propensity for quick strike touchdowns versus an offense that is a time of possession, ball control, methodically move down the field; then I would rather have the first option.

"Go back and watch the tapes of the past 20 or so years UT games" The overall game has changed since then...…even Nick Saban realized this....not to say it may never revert back to that, but with the way the rules are currently, focusing on defenses being less physical in the passing game it won't happen soon.

Addicted to Volnation ? ;-) Great to see Brandon doing so well. On pace to have a great season. Huepel did call a good game against Pitt imo - agree that if Milton doesn't overthrow every deep pass or Hooker plays the whole game we win. I don't think that Gus is dynamic and charismatic enough to recruit well in the SEC particularly against the Saban's of the world. It will be interesting to see how the season progresses for UCF and for Tennessee. Is Gus running UCF's old offense ? What exactly are they running and how is Brandon getting so many passes headed in his direction?

Its similar to Auburn offense the only difference is he has dillon gabriel. He throwing it alot more in this offense. Brandon is a focal point of the offense. Tennessee used Brandon as a decoy just to get the other wr's open. UCF in primetime tonight

Its similar to Auburn offense the only difference is he has dillon gabriel. He throwing it alot more in this offense. Brandon is a focal point of the offense at UCF. Tennessee used Brandon as a decoy just to get the other wr's open. UCF on primetime tonight.

We're going to have to learn to live with that. Lining up under center is not practiced and it is not in the playbook. Our QBs have not touched the hiney of a center in the last 9 months.
Well, they need to line up under center on 3rd/4th and inches. It's stupid not to. That wouldn't require much practice.

Mike Debord 2 0, really?

DeBord was the best OC we've had since Cut, and it's not even close.

Milton is nothing if he can't hit throws over the top. He had apparently been doing it with consistency in practice. That's what they "knew" going into the game. I do not blame them for not giving up after only one bad game. I'm not sure that two in a row with essentially no "hits" can be overlooked. For two games now he has not executed in games. That's still a coaching decision. It falls mostly on Heupel. But the gameplan was based on what Milton had shown in practice and the weaknesses of Pitt. Had he hit 50% of those deep shots... the Vols would have won by multiple scores. They could have easily been up 21-0 in the first quarter and forced Pitt out of their gameplan.

If they're going to manage the game with the shorter stuff like you suggest then it is Hooker or possibly Bailey.

Nothing wrong with the play calls. If executed, UT blows Pitt out. I'm not "blaming" Milton so much as recognizing that he isn't showing the accuracy in games that he's apparently shown in practice. Maybe he's just too amped up in games... but he does show signs of forgetting his coaching.

You're criticizing a strategy that would have blown a good team off the field if Milton had hit wide open receivers. Other than continuing to play him... that's not on the coach.
this weekend is a perfect game for him to work through this funk he’s in. I’ve heard he’s also hit the deep ball with consistency in practice. He’s gotta figure out how to adjust with the adrenaline of a live game. I think that’s the issue. This Saturday you let him throw it until his arm is numb.

this weekend is a perfect game for him to work through this funk he’s in. I’ve heard he’s also hit the deep ball with consistency in practice. He’s gotta figure out how to adjust with the adrenaline of a live game. I think that’s the issue. This Saturday you let him throw it until his arm is numb.
I can see that being the issue. But Heupel cannot sacrifice the team on the hope that Milton figures it out. If he can't do it on game day then you owe it to the team to play someone who can.

I can see that being the issue. But Heupel cannot sacrifice the team on the hope that Milton figures it out. If he can't do it on game day then you owe it to the team to play someone who can.
agreed, but i think you are gonna Need milton down the road.

Its similar to Auburn offense the only difference is he has dillon gabriel. He throwing it alot more in this offense. Brandon is a focal point of the offense at UCF. Tennessee used Brandon as a decoy just to get the other wr's open. UCF on primetime tonight.
I will be watching - hoping he continues his hot streak.

agreed, but i think you are gonna Need milton down the road.
I don't know about "need" but his physical talent could make a big difference in this team's ceiling.

If he could hit those deep throws even at a 50% clip then he changes the field. D's have to respect any receiver that even looks like he's going deep. Most will need to drop a safety if you run one guy deep leaving you with great odds underneath. The problem is that we don't know if he will do that. If not, he doesn't give you anything that Hooker doesn't and probably less on the mental/decision making side considering Hooker's experience.

Milton is 1 for 10 on deep throws in a game and a half worth of possessions.... and honestly the one he got was a jump ball well played by Tillman. He could just as easily be 0-10 with a pick.

Probably never have been so mad at my curved 55" TV than I was the other day FFing through the game.

* We had an early lead of 7-0
* It's a known fact that QB Milton, who has a rocket of an arm, tends to over throw his receivers
* So, instead of grinding it out and getting first downs w short passes and runs - which in terms keeps our D on the sidelines resting, Coach Golesh attempts an air raid on the Pitt secondary and wants to run the score up
* It doesn't work on one series, so hey, let's try another series of 3 and out and well, how about yet even another. Why not? After all, I am the UT OC and I know what I'm doing
* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
* I don't blame Milton for one second for his errant throws because the coaching staff knew that going into the game. Of course I wish the kid was accurate, but he's a Hairball UM reject. Nuff said.

We had the chance to set the pace early in this game and keep momentum on our sides. Instead, the fans and players are disappointed w Milton's long tosses when all the time, it's the guy calling these repetitive plays that deserves the blame.

Coach Golesh - Please use the talent you have on the team properly. I know other teams might be better and or have more scholarship players, so that makes your job, IMO, the single most important job every Saturday afternoon. We have good kids who want to win and deserve to win but, can only do so with proper play calling. And personally, all I want is a W at the end of the game. I don't need a blow out to satisfy my fragile ego.

First downs, not touchdowns, is a philosophy most successful football teams adhere to as their MO. Grind it out, move the yard sticks, wear down their defense, control the clock and you will score points. And your fresh as a daisy defense will thank you by stopping their offense.

OTOH, had Milton connected on any of those passes we win going away, most liklely. I for one am glad we tried to go vertical. Pruitt and Jones didn't do it enough, especially Pruitt. Maybe it was a few too many, but it seems to me that Golesh thinks like SOS in the 90s, and long term I would much rather have that mentality. And it almost worked...the last pass or two were at least close.

Of course, if Milton completes those throws, we are up 28 to 0 before everyone is even seated, we coast to an easy win with plenty of playing time for everyone, and we are all happy and jolly today. The staff had EXACTLY the correct game plan early. We just didn’t have the right skill players on the field to execute it.

Yeah. And how do you know Milton won't execute in the game without trying him? I know they had the Michigan film and BG, but that's still a pretty small sample. Heupel obviously sees potential in Milton and gave him a shot to achieve it. Not sure there is any other way to do it.

Throughout the long Pruitt/Jones era, there were frequent complaints that we were not aggressive enough on offense. Mostly Pruitt, with Jones it was situational. He would get an early lead and then stupidly try to sit on it. So Jones could be aggressive, just wasn't consistently so IMO.

But to me it's the difference between "playing not to lose" and "playing to win". Heupel is IMO in the latter category. If Milton or whoever can start actually executing, it will pay off.

We are so scared by what we seen with JG that Milton is paying for JGs mistakes. I think we give Milton more games to settle down. I trust this coaching staff to develop the QB position. Look at UCF. Heupel Developed Gabriel. Malzhan didnt do that lol.

VN Store

Back